Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Camper stability.

We have the 36 ckts with the level up system. But we still have issues with camper shake while walking around inside. I read once that no additional support jacks are needed with the level up system. Also do not put support jack under the slide outs. We are sitting on a solid gravel pad with all tires on the ground after level. Since we park our cc in a seasonal site....think its ok to add some support jacks under the slide outs? Any thought on this? Our old camper.. park model..was solid as a rock and sitting here for years.
ReTrax Pro Cover
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

There are a few things I did to help stabilize the rig for longer term locations.
I put blocks under all of the jacks so there was minimal extension of the legs. That helped quite a bit.
Next I put two of those screw type aluminum jack stands (4 for $40 at Wally mart) under the ends of the trailer hitch crossmember.
Finally, I deflated the TrailAir and put a kingpin stabilizer on.
Lastly, I made a step support out of two old x-chocks. (I have the ETD Quadrasteps)
Voila, solid as a rock.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Slide out supports are not recommended.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

I've done everything you've mentioned but the stabilizer under the pin. I look into adding one....do you have a recommendation. ..for a sturdy one?
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Always Learning

Stabilizers under the slide outs is just a bad idea. You'll still have movement when people walk around the inside, but the slide won't move and will cause stress on the point where the slide connects to the camper.

Many people are using JT's StrongArms (or something similar to the triangulation stabilizers) with good benefits. Between the wheel wheel-chocks also help. And finally, with those 2- people then put scissor jacks under the camper near the axles to take a bit of bounce out of the suspension.

My next step is to try the scissor jacks and see how it goes.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Problem Solver

I have a 2007 36BHLE with Big Foot Jack System. My rig is very stable after adding X-Chocks between the wheels, adding scissor jacks at the back of the trailer and a king pin tri-pod to stabilize the front.

2014 Dodge 3500 MegaCab w/ 6 spd auto and air ride suspension
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

I dont have the tire locks....they may help also. Thanks.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Just about any king pin stabilizer that is high enough will work. Most are rated for 5000 lbs. Emphasis on the high enough.
Level-up 5ers sit higher than most so you may want to break out the tape measure.

Ependydad: speaking of level-up, I don't think there is an application for JT strong arm and alike that is compatible. I've never seen it either... Just sayin.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

We put scissor jacks on the 2 x 4 tubing in front of the axles on Herk's 5er and haven't heard if he felt like they helped.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
I dont have the tire locks....they may help also. Thanks.
The 'stabilizers' on my camper imo are junk and I may remove them.The scissors jacks will fix your side to side movement. The wheel X lock will stop the front to back rock movement. We only have one on one side and it fixed all of the front back and forth movement.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Just about any king pin stabilizer that is high enough will work. Most are rated for 5000 lbs. Emphasis on the high enough.
Level-up 5ers sit higher than most so you may want to break out the tape measure.

Ependydad: speaking of level-up, I don't think there is an application for JT strong arm and alike that is compatible. I've never seen it either... Just sayin.
Seen a set in goshen on a level up system.
Pm earth station as it was there unit.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

The rear stabilizers are pretty flimsy, I reinforced mine by skip welding a 2-1/2" x 1-1/4" x 1/8" wall "C" to the legs. Now I can literally lift the rear of the camper about 2" or more with no problem. I also have homemade JT Strongarm bars on the rear jacks and on the front landing jacks. The X chocks do just about eliminate any front to back movement. The scissor jacks on the 2x4 tubing in front of the axles will stop any movement from the tires or suspension. Can't wait to get the set of stab jacks I got in Goshen mounted in front of the axles. Will be nice to have all 3 sets of jacks electrically operated.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #13

I put X chocks on both sides and also blocks of 6"x6" wood under stabilizers. Makes it pretty solid and other than that I just assume there will be some movement when our 8 year old runs thru because after all... It's a camper!

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The rear stabilizers are pretty flimsy, I reinforced mine by skip welding a 2-1/2" x 1-1/4" x 1/8" wall "C" to the legs. Now I can literally lift the rear of the camper about 2" or more with no problem. I also have homemade JT Strongarm bars on the rear jacks and on the front landing jacks. The X chocks do just about eliminate any front to back movement. The scissor jacks on the 2x4 tubing in front of the axles will stop any movement from the tires or suspension. Can't wait to get the set of stab jacks I got in Goshen mounted in front of the axles. Will be nice to have all 3 sets of jacks electrically operated.

The scissor jacks in all the way in the rear just keep the back of the trailer from bouncing because there is almost 12 feet of trailer from the Big Foot Jacks to the Scissor jacks. I have JT Strong Arms on those to the frame. These are true scissor jacks and not the half channel jacks you see on most trailers. The Big Foot Jacks will completely lift my trailer off the ground if needed to change tires. I add motors to the rear jacks so leveling is easy now that everything is powered.

2014 Dodge 3500 MegaCab w/ 6 spd auto and air ride suspension
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

PM sent. Sure would like to see that...
Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:

Turbs,
Got the pics from Earth Station and it is what I expected. Their unit has telescoping tube gear. Our Creeks do not.
I suppose someone could "engineer" a mount that would have to be welded to the swivel pads but they might turn. Then there is the problem with the aluminum underbody panels that cover the outer frame. Soooo, back to square one. BTW, I think the gear Earth Station has is called Level-Up Ground Contact Gen II.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
Site Team

got me thinking

Okay you guys has me thinking again about my lacrosse.
I have lippert electric stabilizing jacks front and rear. Yes its nice just to push a button to move them up and down. But for a stable feel I dont think there all that great.
My wheels are too far a part for the wheel X lock.
I use what I have read on another thread was not a good idea as well. Thats plastic wheel chocks. I hammer in with a mallet. I have wood ones but I wanted to cut down on the weight I am carrying.
I also have thought about the slide-out jacks. Just to take them to short of the Mississippi not Kansas or Omaha. (light touching) Kind of like what I do with my wally world jacks I use under my step. Just light contact to firm things up a bit. I have also thought about the bars you can add to your jacks that run to the frame.
Anyway my unit when set to stable ...just aint stable enough for my liking.
May be I should add a couple of scissor jacks??
Anyway I thought I would throw this out there at the peanut gallery and see what comes back
This site is really awsum, I have learned so much here in a year!!
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #18

yes that ES has the Level up ground control... along with JT Strongarms (front and back), roto chock (1 of them) and elephant feet..... we can hardly feel the spin cycle in the RV!!! I don't believe you will ever get all movement out..... unless you remove tires and axles!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post

Turbs,
Got the pics from Earth Station and it is what I expected. Their unit has telescoping tube gear. Our Creeks do not.
I suppose someone could "engineer" a mount that would have to be welded to the swivel pads but they might turn. Then there is the problem with the aluminum underbody panels that cover the outer frame. Soooo, back to square one. BTW, I think the gear Earth Station has is called Level-Up Ground Contact Gen II.
Can you not mount to the tube rather than the feet?
When I installed my "strong arms" I also have the aluminum skirting, I just used there skirting mounting screws to find the beam.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:

Can you not mount to the tube rather than the feet?
When I installed my "strong arms" I also have the aluminum skirting, I just used there skirting mounting screws to find the beam.
No can do. The tube, which is the piston rod, fully retracts leaving no room for a collar.