Old 03-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
All good reasons,pro and con. But how would you know if a vehicle or RV you purchased had been cannibalized and the part re-installed prior to your buying it?

I doubt it would show in the vehicle or RV paperwork.

B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
This may (or may not) be the dealer that I have bought three trailers from. They are top notch in every way and if they cannibalized a part it was to meet a need and take care of a customer. That is the kind of service I have received from them in the past and they pride their dealership in doing whatever it takes to take care of the customer who is in front of them.

I think that it would pain a dealer to pirate a part off of a $30k camper knowing that it is now effectively out of circulation until the parts can come in. But if it meets the needs of a customer who has invested a considerable amount of money with you already, well, the customer standing there wins every time compared to the customer who may come in sometime in the future and may buy a camper. In business, you always take the sure thing, not the gamble.

In a perfect world, everything would work perfectly and never need repair, parts would always be plentiful and no one would have to worry about having a sore P-______. But we live in a world that is not all gum drops and lollipops. I'm sure that if it was your camper that needed the cannibalized part, there would be no hesitation in telling the dealer, "Heck, ya! Take that part and give it to me!" That is just the way the world works.

Let's cut the dealers some slack. Not all of them are bad. Some are. But not all of them. Throwing them all under the bus is just overkill. Rant over. Besides if the parts are put back and all is good at the PDI, who really cares?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4
This is going to be a new adventure. 35 Days camping in 2015!!
ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #23
We were on a Trip/Vacation and our Tripmobile which was fairly New,Broke Down! We were far away from Home and the Dealer we were at said to us,we have a unit in here that is waiting for other parts that are back ordered from the Factory,and its going to be a while before it is repaired! I will call the owner of That Unit and ask if we can use the part yours needs to get you on your way,just pay for the New part you need! I said OK and they worked till 12:00 at night and we were Out The Door! That's the type of Dealer I Like! I wrote a article for the Local Paper in that town about the "Above & Beyond Service the Dealership performed for Us,three years later I stopped back at that Dealership and they had Framed the Newspaper article,and was on the wall! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #24
The first time I saw dealers borrowing parts I didn't like the idea but some dealers can wait all summer for parts, so If you want to get away on vacation what do you do! Whats even worse is when you take your trailer in for repairs and when you go to get it before the holiday weekend you find the gates locked and the dealer has gone bankrupt and they won't let you in to get your own trailer! Seen that, thats why were not allowed to carry guns in Canada!
2015 Flagstaff 26FKWS
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #25
Why not fix the real problem and that is getting parts from the factory to fix things that should have been verified before it left the factory. Used to be called quality control and pride of craftsmanship. Been waiting for 2 months for a replacement led lamp over the dining table as well as table top cause cheesy lamp broke from mount fell to table and then glass did number on top of table. FR talks up their pride in sales and quality of product but when it comes time to walk the talk they fall just a bit short.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
every one should remember that this indicates a unit that is serviceable. it is good to know that these things can be removed and replaced without tearing apart a large section of trailer.
rolnshar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:11 AM   #27
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yep - done in aviation,both military and commercial, with certain controls and procedures being followed.
Yep, we called the cannibalized aircraft the "Hangar Queen".
2016 Cedar Creek 36ckts
2015 Ford F-350
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #28
When I bought my Wildwood 195BH two weeks ago, they changed the mattress out from another unit because the one in mine had a seem coming apart. At first, they guy just took pictures of it and said he would have one delivered to me. Then for some reason he just said he would get one out of another unit. By the way, it is hard to call that thing on the bed a "mattress". It is more like a pad. My wife had already bought a memory foam topper and we had it in the back of the truck in a box. So when we left the dealer and got to the state park, you opened it and had a nice bed to sleep in that night.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #29
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
As a former dealer I can tell you that the first rule of business is thou shalt not cannibalize. Any dealer that does not stock the fundamental parts necessary for the operation of an RV should not be a dealer. When it comes to trim work like cabinet doors etc. surely there is no need so great as to take $30,000 worth of inventory and making it virtually unsaleable. All manufacturers will work with a dealer in case of emergencies if pursued by a responsible dealer. I would not say I have never done it, but it would be a once in a lifetime exception or something of that nature. Can you imagine having dozens of units in inventory with missing parts while your sales guys are trying to sell them? You can get a pretty good idea on how a dealership is operated by the condition of their inventory. If this is the best they can do when trying to sell you something can you just imagine how great the service will be after the sale.
There would be no RV dealers if that were the case . it happens at all rv dealerships weather they admit it or not . when you get half a dozen new units in and it takes parts from the other five to get one finished then that's what happens . can't blame the dealers it's the manufactures sending out unfinished broken products .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #30
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Yep, we called the cannibalized aircraft the "Hangar Queen".
In the military ours was the "Cann Bird" and in commercial aviation our Hangar Queen was/is an airplane (s) that was in the hangar for maintenance more than the rest of the fleet.

B47 is online now   Reply With Quote