Old 03-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #31

Lotsa interesting responses here ... to those who feel it's no biggie for a dealer's techs to haul items at will out of a brand new unit ... you have waayyyy more blind faith in the average tech's ability to professionally replace what was taken than me. I guaran-damned-tee most any woodwork will be botched up beyond belief as extremely few dealerships have anything close to a trim carpenter on board. I've seen that aftermath first hand very recently. I do agree borrowing parts does have to happen in some instances, but stepping in to a brand new unit with major parts missing instantly kills a potential sale for this customer.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #32

Yes some seem to think it's great service to do think but I would rather not have parts taken in and out of the unit I buy. Like diesel guy said I don't trust the techs. General something like that would be assigned to the junior guy.

We had the microwave go on outer new 2016 trailer last summer. No big deal FR had us a new one in 2 weeks. Not worth taking one out of a new trailer.

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #33

I took mine from the dealer, missing the fridge panels and the radio.

No biggie for me! I wanted to go camping, and those items did not prevent me from doing so.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Ok, so heres a question for you...

You bring your brand new truck back to the dealer because it wont start..
Turns out, it needs the Wireless Control Module.
Only problem is, its on a national back order.

Option A: they pull the WCM out of another truck on the lot, and you are on your way in a half hour.

Option B: you have to leave your truck there ( because it wont run ) for an unknown time. Could be a couple months..

Which do you choose ?
dealership I work for ran, into this, the TCM went on customers truck- found one at another dealership 45 miles away.TCM was back order for months
Old 03-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #35

at a rv dealership I did work at, it was frowned on but done to get the sale out. immediately the part was ordered with the stock # of the unit being sold.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #36

So a dealer robs a cabinet door or fridge panel from one RV for a sale and then the buyer of the RV with the missing parts has to wait for parts as that particular RV is the only one on the lot with that type of panels and cabinet doors. So the buyer of the 2nd RV is now waiting for new parts because there's no other model on the lot to replace the missing parts with. So the parts are on order but when they come in are different because the MFG has now changed parts. BTDT with a dinning table.
It had a crack in it when we did PDI. Honestly I didn't even notice it but the PDI guy showed us it and said they would order us a new table. Well after 3 different tables we ended up with a different base than what was original because the MFG no longer was selling their trailers with our style table.
So all this cannibalizing does is create a chain of robbing Paul to pay Peter. But at some point it will catch up with them and some new buyer is going to be jacked.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #37

I have real mixed views about this one, but I'm pulled in the same direction as dieselguy... I don't trust dealer's "techs" to do anything professionally. I've fixed stuff on my friend's RV that they supposedly "fixed". It ain't pretty. There are exceptions, but how do you know up front which ones are actually 'techs", and not hacks.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #38

We recently had to wait from October to January to get our countertop replaced due to it being incorrectly installed at the factory. We were offered to have the counter top from another new unit but we declined and waited since our trailer was still usable. We were told that FR has to completely stop the production line to make a replacement countertop. Sounds like BS to me but they said that's why it took so long.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have real mixed views about this one, but I'm pulled in the same direction as dieselguy... I don't trust dealer's "techs" to do anything professionally. I've fixed stuff on my friend's RV that they supposedly "fixed". It ain't pretty. There are exceptions, but how do you know up front which ones are actually 'techs", and not hacks.
X3, again, I would not be unhappy if they pulled the part for my RV but I would not want to be the one who buys the unit they pulled it out of. Selfish... The talk of aircraft industry doing it all the time, they have certified techs and manuals with procedures for removing an replacing parts. I really doubt the RV dealer has a 2016 WJ3006 Service Manual with parts replacement procedures. Yeah, most things on the RV are not as complicated but I am fairly mechanically inclined, maybe not the best but can wrench with most people and I have found working on my old Truck Camper, there were some things I tore apart wrong and had to double back and spend extra money and time to do it right, I think an RV tech in a hurry, under pressure might just mickey mouse it together...
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS. Honda 2000i Genny, PI EMS-PT30C.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Lotsa interesting responses here ... to those who feel it's no biggie for a dealer's techs to haul items at will out of a brand new unit ... you have waayyyy more blind faith in the average tech's ability to professionally replace what was taken than me. I guaran-damned-tee most any woodwork will be botched up beyond belief as extremely few dealerships have anything close to a trim carpenter on board. I've seen that aftermath first hand very recently. I do agree borrowing parts does have to happen in some instances, but stepping in to a brand new unit with major parts missing instantly kills a potential sale for this customer.
I Can Guaran-dam-tee you most techs are top notch . you may just have a bad one or bad dealer . if any shoddy work is being done it's because the dealer is rushing or just not paying for the time the Tech needs to get the job done right . but i'm sure you wouldn't mind working for free . after spending 5 months working along side the techs i know for Fact these are some good solid professionals .

Tags
dealer