Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #41

and lets not forget there would be no robbing of parts if the manufactures could get it right , now there is where you will find unprofessionals working from the ground up ,FR is no different . so many want to blame dealers but the problems start at the factory and until that changes nothing else will
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #42

I'm also in the group that doesn't think too highly of dealers using new units for parts. But, nothing you can do about it because that unit belongs to the dealer and they can do anything they please. However, if the unit is "floor planned" I guess it's possible that the bank holding the paper would really frown upon this practice.

There were some mentions of parts being taken off airplanes to use on another airframe. That's pretty common in the airline industry (and probably the military) and there are pretty strict regulations pertaining to record keeping, etc. The airline owns or has total control of the airframes and they can do whatever they want provided it's done per the appropriate regulation.

No so in the business jet side of the industry. There is no such thing as a airplane "sales lot" because most biz jets, probably all, are sold before they ever come off the assembly line. Once the owner takes delivery then the manufacturer or service center has no control over that airframe. So, parts swapping is an absolute no-no. I don't thing Mr. Big is going to allow a facility to borrow parts from his 50 million dollar plane. It's happened in the past and the outcome for the facility "borrowing" the parts was not good...and very, very expensive for them.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #43

Before my 5er i had a 275 surveyor sport the hardwood piece for the table to lay on to make into bed was missing I asked for it to be replaced Guy doing the work made a peice out of pine wood i seen it and i told them if they want to sell me this unit I wanted the hardwood piece that is suppose to come with it they said they would need to order it. I told them their was another surveyor one row over to go get it out of there or i was on my way to another rv dealer so in order to make the sale they robbed the other unit for the piece
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #44

Several years ago my converter stopped working while on a 3000 mile trip. I was over 1000 miles from home. I went to a RV dealership for a replacement. They did not have any in stock but did remove one from a new trailer that was on the lot. Not all parts are removed to repair new trailers but to help a person who is on the road.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #45
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo2 View Post
Before my 5er i had a 275 surveyor sport the hardwood piece for the table to lay on to make into bed was missing I asked for it to be replaced Guy doing the work made a peice out of pine wood i seen it and i told them if they want to sell me this unit I wanted the hardwood piece that is suppose to come with it they said they would need to order it. I told them their was another surveyor one row over to go get it out of there or i was on my way to another rv dealer so in order to make the sale they robbed the other unit for the piece
You have just described the purpose for and definition of cannibalization.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Years ago (2007) I saw that happen at a car dealership under the direction of the factory. And it was fuel delivery components not "trim" items! So yea it happens in a lot of places!

And don't even want to know how much was done to keep helicopters flying in the Marines....
In the Navy, we called them "hanger queens!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer