Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #1

Cant Find Metal Valve stems for Silverback 29re wheels

I bought new Goodyear tires and bought metal valve stems (I think they are called bolt/screw type, clamp-in stems) from my local auto parts store. The tech at the Goodyear tire store tried to install the valves and told me that it did not fit, so I had them install the normal high pressure valve (I think they are called snap-in). It seems that there may be different types of metal stems out there, and I am clueless as to what size/type of clamp-in stems I should purchase.
Just bought the TST 507, and I am reluctant to install them on the wheels with the current rubber (snap-in) stems out of concern for the possible damage to the stems during high speeds, thereby causing a bigger problem than the one I am trying to solve.
I have the stock factory wheels on my 2015 Silverback 29RE. Can any 29RE owners who have replaced the stems let me know where and what type of metal stems you purchased? Thank you.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had the same experience. The aluminum rim would not allow the metal stem to fit.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Not knowing what you have exactly, nor not knowing if the tire tech himself doesn't know how to properly install a clamp-in stem (many don't)....I am offering this previous discussion link on to some things that may help...especially if you have a rim whose valve stem hole is too close to the rim flange for a TR416 stem to properly work, as you may need to purchase a TR428.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1149833

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #4

depending on the size of the wheel valve stem hole metal valve stems for normal application are .453" to .625" and special applications from .236" to .315 so you need to know the size of the hole you have in the rim. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

I have the 06 alum wheels on my 12Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5er and have metal stems. There are several sizes available at your auto parts store. If worse comes to worse, take a CLEAN bare wheel with you to the auto parts store.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
CCRVOC

I'm not sure about trailer rims, but I sourced new metal valve stems for my dually from here. They were very helpful.
["http://yourtireshopsupply.com/manufacturer/38/borg-equipment"]
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

Ran into the same problem with my rockwood when I'm took it to Pep Boys to have my tires balanced. They didn't have metal stems that would fit in the recessed hole in the rim. When I bought new tires Discount Tire had metal stems that did fit the rims.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not knowing what you have exactly, nor not knowing if the tire tech himself doesn't know how to properly install a clamp-in stem (many don't)....I am offering this previous discussion link on to some things that may help...especially if you have a rim whose valve stem hole is too close to the rim flange for a TR416 stem to properly work, as you may need to purchase a TR428.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1149833
wmtire, Thank you. I had read your previous posts. They are very informative, but I am still confused. Are there different sizes of TR428? The link you had provided in the other post
Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts
indicates that valve is for
.453 valve hole. The TR416 will work for both .453" and .625" rim holes.

I had originally purchased the stems off the shelve at the O'Reilly parts store. I did not pay attention at the time what it was, not knowing there were different sizes and types of metal valve stems.
The tech told me it did not work, and at the time I did not know enough to ask what the real problem was. I may just purchase both (TR416 and TR428) and then take them to the tire store, and hope they know how to install them.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

I have decided to buy:
4 of Xtra Seal 17-416 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts
and 4 of Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Hopefully, one of these sets will do the trick.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
wmtire, Thank you. I had read your previous posts. They are very informative, but I am still confused. Are there different sizes of TR428? The link you had provided in the other post
Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts
indicates that valve is for
.453 valve hole. The TR416 will work for both .453" and .625" rim holes.

I had originally purchased the stems off the shelve at the O'Reilly parts store. I did not pay attention at the time what it was, not knowing there were different sizes and types of metal valve stems.
The tech told me it did not work, and at the time I did not know enough to ask what the real problem was. I may just purchase both (TR416 and TR428) and then take them to the tire store, and hope they know how to install them.

Although the TR416 comes with rubber grommets to fit EITHER a .453 or a .625 valve stem hole...I don't recall ever seeing a Forest River travel trailer wheel utilizing a .625 hole. They have all been .453 that I have seen.

You should be good to go with what you have said you purchased (both a TR416 and a TR428). One or the other should work no matter what your wheel situation is.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

I didn't realize that this was even a problem. When I changed out tires a couple of years ago I asked them to install steel valve stems. I have aluminum rims and they installed steel valve stems. Roberts Tire in Mesa, AZ.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I used Haltec TV-575-HP stems which are 3/4" tall and use a top mounted nut. Purchased them from Grainger. I did have to grind the washers down to a slightly smaller diameter to fit in the recessed hole of my Rockwood's wheels. Very pleased that the TST 507 sensors are tucked inside of the wheels due to the very short 3/4" stems.

HALTEC Clamp-In Tire Valve,1 In,Pk 5 - Tire Valve Stems and Cores - 33W538|TV-575-HP - Grainger Industrial Supply
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #13

Just ask around for Enkei style metal valve stems for a .453" rim hole. Remove the two nuts from the stem as well as the first half of the rubber grommet. Install the valve stem with the other half of the grommet down in the stem hole. Install the previous half of the grommet, washer, and two lock nuts inside the rim. The hole is too small for the other type of metal valve stem that has an exterior lock nut.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #14

Why worry bout metal stems.....unless you have the 110 lb wheels and tires then you don't really need them. Hopefully you didn't buy Goodyear Marathons as your new tires cause when you have a blow out you may lose those metal stems.... If you bought Marathons take them back and get reimbursed. Buy a set of LT E rated truck tires or if you buy Goodyear G614's then you can use those metal stems...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
Why worry bout metal stems.....unless you have the 110 lb wheels and tires then you don't really need them. Hopefully you didn't buy Goodyear Marathons as your new tires cause when you have a blow out you may lose those metal stems.... If you bought Marathons take them back and get reimbursed. Buy a set of LT E rated truck tires or if you buy Goodyear G614's then you can use those metal stems...
The OP stated in his first post that he is installing metal clamp-in stems because he is attaching TPMS sensors to them.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I had the same experience. The aluminum rim would not allow the metal stem to fit.
I also had the same problem, the tire dealer ordered the wrong stems, the nuts where to big, he then reorder another set that the nut did fit through the rim from Napa. I think it was a 3/8" nut don't remember for sure. But the size of the nut was the problem I have the "S" series rims....They make all different sizes and Napa can get them... If you have a TST system you do need that metal solid bolt in stem, I do not really know what a metal clamp on stem is to be honest...Maybe the same thing but different terminology.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
I have decided to buy:
4 of Xtra Seal 17-416 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts
and 4 of Xtra Seal 17-428 - Bolt-In Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Hopefully, one of these sets will do the trick.
Update on the thread. I bought the sets above. I called a chain tire store, and they did not seem to have any idea whether they could install a bolt on metal valve stems. He told me all the valve stems had metal in them, so I decided to call another store. With a suggestion from a fried, I located a tire store 30 miles up the road from me that works on RVs. I took the 4 wheels and the stems to them. They mentioned that if I did not mind they would use their own stems that they are familiar with. They installed the stems with the TPS sensors and balanced the wheels. All seems to work. I have the display sitting on the dining room table with the rig in front of the house. The transmitter and receiver work fine from that distance; about 20 yards.There is about a 5 psi difference from morning to late afternoon with the help of the Texas sun.

When I installed the wheels, I torqued the lugs to 110 ft-lbs. I had read somewhere that Aluminum wheels should be torqued to 90 ft-lbs.
Would the additional torque cause any damage?
Old 06-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Update on the thread. I bought the sets above. I called a chain tire store, and they did not seem to have any idea whether they could install a bolt on metal valve stems. He told me all the valve stems had metal in them, so I decided to call another store. With a suggestion from a fried, I located a tire store 30 miles up the road from me that works on RVs. I took the 4 wheels and the stems to them. They mentioned that if I did not mind they would use their own stems that they are familiar with. They installed the stems with the TPS sensors and balanced the wheels. All seems to work. I have the display sitting on the dining room table with the rig in front of the house. The transmitter and receiver work fine from that distance; about 20 yards.There is about a 5 psi difference from morning to late afternoon with the help of the Texas sun.

When I installed the wheels, I torqued the lugs to 110 ft-lbs. I had read somewhere that Aluminum wheels should be torqued to 90 ft-lbs.
Would the additional torque cause any damage?
Not that I know of, you should be fine....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #19
fmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I bough mine on eBay for the small hole size.
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel