Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Cap Fade

Hi,

Close examination discloses early fading high up on the front cap of my 2014 Silverback, which inconveniently just went off the two year warranty.

I have a great dealer, but this would seem to be beyond his area of responsibility. Since this evidently is a known issue for my year, is there a centralized contact point with Forest River for folks like me who are seeking a remedy, or am I out of luck on getting them to do anything to correct it?

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

dldavis@forestriverinc.com

Denise knows the issues and what FR can possibly do for you.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Thank you Mel.

Rich
Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Rich, our 2014 is now fading like yours...i noticed a spot the size of a softball back in May...now top 5 percent is fading...I think DW and I are just going to let it fade and decide what we will do when it's done...it is a shame
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

My 15 32RL Cedar Creek is a beautiful camper but for the front cap, the fade makes camper look old on front cap, it's bad now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

The only cure is to have it painted. You can rub and polish all you want but it will come back in a short time. I tried the Zep coating, buffing, Rejex, you name it. Finally cured it with a good base coat/clear coat automotive paint job. $1500 for the front $1000 for the back plus decals.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

I am curious is this issue specific to the Silverback? How are the other Cedar Creek models doing?
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

No.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
I am curious is this issue specific to the Silverback? How are the other Cedar Creek models doing?
Just follow the current and previous comments. First it was the older gray; then brown. A LOT has to do with where you live and how/where you store your rv.
Fade will not hurt you except in looking bad and of course , resale.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Hi,

A quick follow-up on my original post, and a report on the current situation.

Contact with Denise resulted in a quick and satisfying response. After a delay for backordered decals, the rig is scheduled into a qualified big rig paint shop next month (accommodating our summer camping/travel schedule).

I would judge that I'm on course for very satisfactory resolution to a potentially costly problem -- one that speaks well for Denise specifically and, more generally, FR's concern for customer satisfaction.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #10

My Cedar Creek 2015 32RL faded in 11 months, my 2012 30RL faded in 15 months and Forest River did not want to fix it. FR wanted to pay to buff it out, pay for four hours of labor but Tom Johnson said no. Tom wanted to repaint the front , they said that was the only way to fix it right. This time I'm taking the camper to the factory and they will replace the cap.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Almost every make of RV that used a colored gel coat cap has done this. Most are now painted instead of just colored gel coat. it's the only real cure.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

Correct

SPOT ON!! Some of us were " fortunate " to have this happen EARLY and replacement choices by mfgr.
Denise at FR stepped right up 2 years ago and gave me choices. I took the "Oyster" vs "Mocha" based on observation of other mfgr caps at camp grounds.

I agree that the best long term solution for color retention is the expensive paint proceds. The cost of "Look'n good" 👍.

Roll safe!!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

Love spell check

" process"
Old 08-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #14

Can someone post a pic of the cap. We have a 17 silverback and I'm wondering if we need to be concerned?

Cedar Creek
Silverback 35ik
2011 Dodge Cummins 2500
junebug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 AM   #15

2017 cap

I " chose" your cap for my 2015. I was given the option after fade; repair; fade. They changed the process because of the fade issues.

Mine ( same as yours) has been on a year now and looks NEW. I use NuFinish car wax 2x year on cap.
There are NO forever guarantees of no fade, however, it appears theses new cap processes work.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
Rich, our 2014 is now fading like yours...i noticed a spot the size of a softball back in May...now top 5 percent is fading...I think DW and I are just going to let it fade and decide what we will do when it's done...it is a shame

Just my experience for what it's worth?
Our 2013(Gray) faded horrible,came down the front, decals all burnt. It will get worse. It was out of warranty, we bought it new early 2014, emailed factory and dealer Denise , she is a rock star at the factory for the cedar creek folks, and Henry got back to us and agreed to replace cap, painted now and clear coated, it looks beautiful . I made the appointment, for the Friday before the rally, took about 5 hrs, cap, new ladder, all covered. We attended rally, glad we did, not saying it works for everybody, but for us we just made a vacation out of it, still working. Fantastic time, will do it again in the future. About 900 miles each way for us from MA, but to make the coach look great again, well worth it, factory techs know what there doing!
Now like Mel said, nufinish 2x/ yr!!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #17

I waxed my first Cedar Creek and I thought that was the reason for the fade but this one I just washed it and it faded at 11 months and I called Tom Johnson and they told me to call the factory. I talked to Denise and she made me a appointment for October, that was in February, we plan to make a trip out of it. The plan is to be gone about three weeks

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #18

Thanks for the feedback!

Cedar Creek
Silverback 35ik
2011 Dodge Cummins 2500
junebug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #19

Hi,

To close out my faded front cap experience, I picked it up yesterday from the big rig body shop. The new paint job looks great.

But the more important piece of this is my satisfaction with the way Denise in FR, and my local dealer (Holiday Hour in DeKalb, IL), handled my problem.

There are various complaints here and elsewhere about customer support in the RV world -- many of them fully justified. But it's equally important to hear stories like mine, where unquestioning, fully responsive action by FR's representatives results in owner satisfaction.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 10-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #20

The top edge of the front cap on my 2014 CC 38FL has just started to fade this year. I've been in touch with Denise at FR and we are now booked in to the factory for this to be replaced and hopefully a couple of other small issues they can look at. The factory is booked through to July 2017 for work but I managed to get this in during our Calgary-Toronto-Calgary road trip next summer. Apparently, they only need it for a day so we should be able to manage for night or two in a hotel somewhere near the factory.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote