Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Carpet on steps

How do you all keep the carpet on steps looking new? We've put a rug down over the living area carpet and runners in the bedroom but can't figure out what to do with the asymmetrical steps in our 38CK. We take our shoes off inside and wear slippers but it's a high traffic area and we have dogs. Ideas?
kway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

I don't have carpet on my steps. Wish I did. As far as putting down runners and the like. Why save it for the next person. It's meant to walk on and look and feel nice. We shampoo it a couple times a year and have no problems.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

We have the same setup in our 38CK. To me it's just a camper. We think carpet is to walk on not be pampered. When it can't be cleaned anymore, it will be replaced with something better. People in our Campground are replacing carpet all the time.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #4

We bought step covers at CW that are curved, we and our dogs prefer them to the metal steps especially our 13+ lab.

We have 3 labradors who individually shed 2 dogs full of hair daily. We sweep and vac twice a day and still can't keep up.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We bought step covers at CW that are curved, we and our dogs prefer them to the metal steps especially our 13+ lab.

We have 3 labradors who individually shed 2 dogs full of hair daily. We sweep and vac twice a day and still can't keep up.
I think you need glasses. The poster is writing about the steps INSIDE the RV. The 38CK is 5th wheel and has an unusual step configuration from the entry up to the bedroom hall.

I did fail in my earlier post to suggest that the poster consider removing the carpet and going with vinyl floor covering, something my wife is considering in our 38CK.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Outdoor carpet tile cut to fit for outside and a runner(cut to fit) velcroed for the inside steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoor Carpet Tile on Steps.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	125606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01804.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	125607  
Old 11-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I don't have carpet on my steps. Wish I did. As far as putting down runners and the like. Why save it for the next person. It's meant to walk on and look and feel nice. We shampoo it a couple times a year and have no problems.
Camper carpets are not the best of quality. Use them until you either trade or wear them out. This is an easy upgrade.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #8

Y'all are right. Carpet isn't the best quality. Not sure about how to replace it in the future so we just wanted to reduce wear and tear.
kway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

We carpeted our inside steps to reduce the risk of slipping in sock feet. Rarely wear shoes inside camper. Carpeted outside steps to keep mutt from getting her nails caught.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

I really didn't like the stock carpeted 2 steps in our 5th wheel.

They were too high of a rise and always looked shabby, even though there was little use on my rig before I got it... it is just a low grade of carpet.

So I built a new set of oak steps with 3 steps with a lower rise helping me with my knee replacement, plus it improved the storage, with all treads opening, at a prime location.

In the end, after almost landing on my 'a_ _ ' , they were too slippery and the dog hated the slippery surface as well....so I cut some outdoor carpet pieces that fit nicely down the center of the treads and stuck them down with double sided tape.

Now it is the Best of both Worlds... nice looking wood and the security of long lasting carpet treads.

Pictures show the before and replaced steps, I will get a picture of the carpet in place and repost soon.

Islander
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	125752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	125753  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

The issue is not so much that the carpet is of lower quality, but that there's no padding under it, which really helps wear and tear. But of course you can't put the padding under there or it wouldn't go under the slides. We were planning when needed to go with vinyl planking when we needed to change it out.

You're steps look great islander! We just built wood stair treads in the house. The carpet was getting really worn. We ended up with stair tread covers that are like carpet that were maybe 26 x 6 inches. They have a rubber backing and work great. Dogs and us go up and down them and no slipping. I think they were like 2,50 each.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Here is the Photo of the steps from Post #10
...with the 'safety carpet' installed.

Islander
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1872.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	125807  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,