Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

CC 36 CKTS Purchase

I looks like we have narrowed our search down on our first fiver. The CC 36CKTS is in the final round and I need your input. If you own this model, we would like to know if you are happy with the unit and what made you select it. What are some areas the unit may be lacking and any special features we should consider when ordering. I would also like to know what your Tow Vehicle is. Thanks for your assistance.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

WOW, thats a first the post is up all day, 40+ viewers and no reply. Im not sure if thats an indication that everyone is happy with their unit or they just don't care to talk about it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

Cedar Creek 36CKTS

We bought a 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS back in October. We have taken it on one trip to date, since we bought it late in the year. We drove it from Maryland to Disney World in November and spent a week in Disney World. The RV worked great. We only had a broken light fixture, which was replaced under warranty. We liked the lay out and the convenience of the fresh water, cable, holding tank valves and winterizing valves in one location. We pull the RV with a 2008 F350 dually diesel with 4.10 rear end gear. I did notice it had more pin weight than our previous 2007 Cardinal 34QS. I haven't weighted it yet, but noticed the truck settled a little lower when the RV was hitched.
MDCRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Thanks MDCRAB, the dry weight is at 12076 and 2389 on the pin. I was thinking of adding the airbags to my 2012 Doge Ram 2500 4x2. it has the 373 rear end. Based on the manufactures information I feel I would be ok on the weight.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Team

The thread title sounded like someone brought a new RV so I clicked on it to find out more.

Sometimes I will use the "New Posts" option but use the "Recent Threads" option most. In the "Recent Threads" option the line-up gets bumped with new incoming posts. Once I post this message it will display at the top of the list until another post comes in bumping it down.

You may need to stay on top on this thread to call attention to it for more feedback. Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Thanks Terier I posted the comment on no response because I usually get bombarded with information...maybe everyone was camping or taking Sunday off...LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Before anyone gets into the tow rates on the Ram and this unit the manufactures information is as follows:

2012 - 2500 ST SLT Bighorn/ Lonestar Laramie Out- doorsman
6.7L Cummins�� Turbo Diesel I-6 6-Speed Auto- matic Transmission
Towing: 15,450 lbs (7008 kg) - max Payload: 2,580 lbs (1170 kg) - max
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Sorry I hit send before I was done on the above comments. I am considering the air bags because the website for Doge post the following information for my truck.

Max Payload
2,182lbs
Max Tow
13,050lb

Crazy, both the 15,000 max and the 13, 000 max come from Dodges official information. One is the owners manual and the other is their website.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

I would be a little concerned with a Ram 2500. I originally had a F250, but the cargo weight rating was 1900 lbs. We traded up to the F350 because it had cargo weight rating of 4400 lbs. I figure the pin weight is close to 3000 lbs. You may OK on the combined weight rating, but you may light on what pin weight you can carry. The air bags may
help the sag, but do not do anything for the axle weight rating.
MDCRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
Thanks Terier I posted the comment on no response because I usually get bombarded with information...maybe everyone was camping or taking Sunday off...LOL
I meant to include that too as a possible reason. BTW I do understand how a post with a good number of viewing with no feedback can bring up questions as to "Why no feedback?". Been there, done that...

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Sorry I hit send before I was done on the above comments. I am considering the air bags because the website for Doge post the following information for my truck.

Max Payload
2,182lbs
Max Tow
13,050lb

Crazy, both the 15,000 max and the 13, 000 max come from Dodges official information. One is the owners manual and the other is their website.
Keep your eyes on your truck's Max Payload vs camper Loaded Pin Weight...that'll tell the story.

Good looking camper your considering, good luck with your decision and get camping!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to 2012 Trailer Life towing guide... http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...ide_lo_res.pdf

It lists your truck at a max towing of 13500 with auto and 3.73 rear ratio. There's a max towing of 15500 if the rear ratio was 4.10. This is for crew cab, short box 2WD.
As it's 2WD, it wouldn't be too expensive to change the gears to 4.10.

That would still leave you limited in payload capacity...those factory (inflated) numbers are with a 150 lb driver, nothing else. Add any dealer installed options (running boards, etc), 5W hitch, passengers and gear the payload will be much lower. The best way is to weigh your truck loaded to camp with passengers and determine the true payload capacity available for pin weight.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
We took delivery of our '13 CC 36 CKTS in May '12, put 11,000 miles on it before 2013 got here. We love it, pull her w/ a 2010 F350 CC DRW w/ a Curt 20K hitch. Only problem rest more with where the Creek meets the road than anything with the trailer, mainly it's a road thing, but in order to smooth things out we're retrofitting the suspension with MorRyde's Independent Suspension & Kodiak Disc Brakes.

The TraiAir pinbox is worth every penny too. It really smooths out the chucking while making the abrupt bridge approaches tollerable. We have been to the right coast & did not loose anything on the left one so we'll spend a lot of time in the central plains & front range Rockies. So far this year we have only 1 week in her but have about 9 weeks planned between April & July so far. I continue to find ways to "mod her up" making it really ours. Have not used the bike rack receiver hit hitch & probably wasted those dollars that might have been better applied elsewhere, but oh well, such is life.

Remember, always travel safe & enjoy the heck out of your journies!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
'13 36 CKTS & lovin it!

Quote:
I looks like we have narrowed our search down on our first fiver. The CC 36CKTS is in the final round and I need your input. If you own this model, we would like to know if you are happy with the unit and what made you select it. What are some areas the unit may be lacking and any special features we should consider when ordering. I would also like to know what your Tow Vehicle is. Thanks for your assistance.
We bought the '13 36 CKTS over the RE due to entertainment center location lends itself to fewer sore necks after watching say a full game on Sunday afternoon. We narrowed the field to the Mobile Suite and the Creek. Went with the Creek because I couldn't justify paying that kind of money when you get much the same in the Creek for much less. As far as lacking, We changed to a Quadra Step over the three step sine FR's had uneven rise between steps but I see that has changed as the year has progressed. Also lacking, I guess would be the "bike rack" hitch. I'm not sure it will stand up to hauling even one bike given the state of our roads these days. . . . really under engineered!

One option I would not overlook is the Trail Air hitch, worth every penny that option costs. Our road conditions demand it!

Travel safe & enjoy your journeys
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

brw549, I think the 36CKTS will give you the best bang for your buck. There is new unit that is VERY similar out there. It'a the LifeStyleRV 371 (formerly Carriage) The CC has an edge with the LevelUp and Fridge but I don't know what the pricing is on the 371.
Ours is a late model 12 so it has some of the 13 changes.
Some good, some not so good. We are full timers so we are
in it every day. It's holding up very well after a year.

We tow with the new F350 5th wheel special. We had a 2010 F250 PSD CC SB with a PullRite Superglide 2700 and Timbrens.
We were right at max cap with no room for a W/D. We had t to upgrade the rear wheels to 18" so we could get tires rated for more than the 3195lbs E rated 17's. Having towed thousands of miles with a SRW and twice that much with a Dually, I will never tow a heavy 5er with a SRW again. We almost lost it in Utah with a crosswind gust in the mountains.

The 36 Series CC's are an awful lot of trailer for a 3/4 ton SRW. If you don't tow often or far you might be able to do it.

Good Options: LevelUp. Thermopane's. QuadraStep. Residential Fridge. Convection Oven. Trailer Hitch. Slide covers. Explorer Package.

Not so good or waste of $'s: Slide cover armor. Custom/Touring paint.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
Full Timer

I think the slide out awning covers are a smart thing. They keep it more tight when slide is out and you don't have to worry about them coming undone when traveling I had my slide awnings do that before I switched to the covers

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #17

We have the 2012 model and love it! One of our "must have's" was to be able to look straight at the television. We wanted a kitchen island and not one of those attached island things that forces you to walk around to get out of it. We also wanted a king size bed, large bathroom, double pane windows, 2 AC's and plenty of storage. The 36 CKTS is that and more! We also got the home type refrigerator, which I wasn't sure I would like. However, I like it better than the RV style. I might not be so excited about it when I have to replace those 4 batteries! LOL! I would like to see the pneumatic openers on all of the basement doors so that is a future mod. I'm towing with a 2011 F350 dually, so I have no issues there. It pulls like a dream and nobody blows me around on the road.
About the only complaint we had was the trash can under the sink. You have to open both doors and pull the whole drawer slide out to get to it. That was my first mod. I split the drawer slide in two and attached the right side door to the slide instead of having it hinged. Now, we pull on the right side door handle and the slide and trash can comes with it. A happy Wife is a happy life!
You'll love the 36 CKTS!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #18

CC 36CKTS Purchase

We're getting ready to order the CKTS, and want the thermal pane windows, but the dealer said we would lose the look of the "automotive frameless windows" that are standard. Can't tell from your photo - is that true?
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #19

Here is a link to some pics of mine. Some are dealer pics and some are mine. As you'll see, the thermal pane are frameless and look good.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1157339...946/NewCamper#

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates9592 View Post
We're getting ready to order the CKTS, and want the thermal pane windows, but the dealer said we would lose the look of the "automotive frameless windows" that are standard. Can't tell from your photo - is that true?
since I have had both single pane and thermal pane in my 36re and 36 ckts I can say your dealer is an idiot! they look the same. Also after having a 2010 36RE touring edition and now 1 2013 CKTS touring edition I would probably consider another brand. my 2010 was rather problematic and my 2011 Cedar creek ridgeview was so defective they sent horizon transport to my house to take it back to the factory to be rebuilt,( it actually broke down on its way to the factory) and giving forest river the benefit of the doubt we bought our 2013 36 CKTS last july, lived it for 4 months at Fort Wilderness and other than the 2 week trip to the Fort in Feb. it has been in for repairs and not usable.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote