Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

CC 36ckts vs Grand Design 369rl

We were ready to sign for the CC we stopped and looked at the GD 369rl and we were impressed. After researching I found the GD has a history of a loud a/c and the flat rear exterior of the vehicle. I understand that GD is a fairly new company founded by past executives from another vehicle mfgr.
We are very close in price and I am sure they all have there share of minor issues. The 2 dealers are well established and I would not expect a service related problem. If anyone could provide the pros and cons for both units would be appreciated. After looking at different units and saying that's a good idea I need a large dry erase board and some adult beverages to make sense of it all. Thanks
fiwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

We looked at GD before purchasing the CC. When looking close at the quality CC was far head. Why would you build a high end RV and put a steel bumper on the back with a flat design. The owners came from keystone and are building the same design whin in my opinion is no where close to CC. Just look closely at the build you will lean towards CC. Yes I am bias but have owned 3 fivers Montana, Everest and now CC. The quality is so far ahead on keystone.

Just because they came from another mfg and think they have a better mouse trap evaluate closely. Buyer beware.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Only compared them online............but the GD is more expensive for about the same layout, IMHO. I don't see enough difference in layout to go to it over the CC. And CC is less money, and appears to be better made, but I have no real proof of that at all.

At this point, I'm about to order.......and I'd need a big whoosh to sweep me away from the 36CKTS to another brand/type/model.........if it shows up, it better hurry. But yes I'd look.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

My 11 year old 34CKTS has been outstanding. But.... we stoped a couple weeks ago and looked at three new Creeks. Not impressed one bit. They look nice, but stuff just was not right. Doors that would not close, total lack of counters in the kitchen, just a bunch of little things was not right.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #5

What about the 101 wide body only a few mfgs use it Any guess why the more room the better ?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:17 AM   #6

I am looking to upgrade from my Rockwood 5th wheel and I am definitely going with the Grand Design. The quality and fit and finish is far above the CC. They are also rated as a full time rig so no problem with the warranty. CC is very nice on the exterior but when you go inside the quality is no better than my Rockwood. There are much better units than the Grand Design but those also come with a much higher price. From what I read the Grand Design is much better when it comes to warranty repairs and service. In the end buy what you want, everyone has their opinion. I would also talk to the service people at your dealer and get some input. Good luck on you're purchase!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

The Grand Design has a lot of nice features BUT why they would build a unit like this with only a 3 step entry?? The ones I have looked at, the first step is way too high off the ground although I like the aluminum steps. I wouldn't consider it due to not having the quite cool A/C in both living room and bedroom. I will just keep my Cedar Creek.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

We look at both of the Grand Design trailers; the Solitude and the Reflection 5er's. We were almost ready to order one when we look at the Cedar Creek line. Will after reviewing the Cedar Creek line, we decided that the Cedar Creek was a better built trailer and had more to offer than the Grand Design units.

One of the areas that sold me was the basement storage area and frame design of the Cedar Creek. Another item was the tires on the CC are "G" rated and not "E" rated. The suspension components on the CC are wet bolts with bronze bushings, I do not think this is true on the grand Design units. One item my DW like are the day/night roller shades where you get a sun screen and a true night shade. There are several smaller items but this is the highlights as I see them.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

CC vs GD

We had decided by looking on line to purchase a GD. Didn't even want to look any more. Went to dealer with the idea it's GD or nothing. Hot day walking around the lot looking at GD. Needed to wait for salesperson. Saw a CC open and a/c on. We sat in those beautiful Lazy Boy leather rocker recliners and started to look around. WOW how solid it was. Absolutely beautiful. A/C working great, large residential refrigerator better than the one I have at home. It's a 38CK. We were so excited. 41' 3-slides. We bought it. Have had it one year. Just came back from spending 3 months in and around FL. It's made two trips along the East Coast twice since we've owned it.
Small issues that have been taking care of speedily. Well designed. Sturdy and beautiful. I am so glad the salesman was late. CC all the way. But again YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU DECIDE. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Mfg. questions

After talking to dealers at an RV show, I had some structural and furniture questions. The Grand Design web site has a "contact us" for direct answers from their consumer consultants. I am looking at the GD Reflection 29RS (TV with HT and HP packages). The GD person answered my Email and called 2 days later to make sure the questions were answered to my satisfaction. He gave his direct line for future questions since GD is always updating/improving to address customers concerns. Found out auto leveling would be standard when I placed my order. I have dealt with 3 other manufactures that sent me the standard answer "We suggest your dealer address this situation and we will work with them to solve the problem." For as much as we a paying to be comfortable and not be able to talk to the manufacturer doesn't set well with me. I like being able to call or Email a GD person directly and get an answer.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #11

CC 36ckts vs Grand Design 369rl

Your money whatever you are comfortable with, they all have their faults and good points.
Personally I thought the GD I saw at the show looked unfinished mostly because they cheated
out on the cover on the kitchen sinks, they used plastic as opposed to countertop material, ie.Corian.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Mark And Libby
2011 F-350 4X4 Super Crew
2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Brampton ON.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #12

I shopped and researched for about a year before ordering. We looked at the Grand Design and I just didn't see or fell the quality I expected to feel in that price unit. Also if you look at the way the walls are constructed on the CC its much better than the GD. We picked our CC 36CKTS up in February 2015 and have had no regrets about our decision. Good luck.

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
Global Nomad

Cedar vs. Grand

We chose the 2016 Cedar Creek, Hathaway Edition, after comparing to Grand Design, as well as many others. We have been living in it full time for the last 6 weeks. The first 2 in our driveway in Maryland because of the record breaking snow storm (3 feet) and temperatures down to 4 degrees. Then rain, rain and rain. It comes with the cold weather package which is advertised to accommodate down to zero degrees. No leaks, no problem staying comfortable at 4 degrees. (although we used a propane tank every 3 days).

We are now in Florida, with 90 degree weather, using the Air Conditioners (we had a second one installed). No problems handling the heat.

We would recommend this unit.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #14

CONGATULATIONS what a good test on comfort and durability. Have many years of pure fun and a long life ��
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
We chose the 2016 Cedar Creek, Hathaway Edition, after comparing to Grand Design, as well as many others. We have been living in it full time for the last 6 weeks. The first 2 in our driveway in Maryland because of the record breaking snow storm (3 feet) and temperatures down to 4 degrees. Then rain, rain and rain. It comes with the cold weather package which is advertised to accommodate down to zero degrees. No leaks, no problem staying comfortable at 4 degrees. (although we used a propane tank every 3 days).

We are now in Florida, with 90 degree weather, using the Air Conditioners (we had a second one installed). No problems handling the heat.

We would recommend this unit.

Where at in Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #16

Great floor plan! And you have the TV. All I look at for now is HT 5ers, TV is a HT (11.200) and H Payload (2,393) F150. Great time to be in FL, enjoy the new rig and the weather.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #17
Global Nomad

We are in the Florida Keys today. Cooler here than when we were in Sarasota.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #18

You know how to make a person feel bad (cold).
Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #19

Thanks for all the input we just ordered a CC 36 ckts
Old 03-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiwelsh View Post
Thanks for all the input we just ordered a CC 36 ckts
Good choice and congratulations.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote