Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Never had a RV in 30 years that had belly panels so I couldn't tell you how good or bad they can be. I just like the idea of being able to see & inspect everything. Have not had a problem being cold but we do not camp below freezing much either.

Our you sure? This is from the PUMA TOY Hauler exterior features list. And I quote "•Darco Wrapped Underbelly" end quote. To me this is covering the underbelly of your unit.

All three of my 5er's have had some type of belly covering for the water and waste tanks. They all advertised that the tank area was heated and or protected some way for freezing prevention. Also this prevents air buffeting of the underneath belly area when travel at 60MPH down the road.

Cedar Creek units do the covering just a little different and in my very humble opinion this is a better option than what the Keystone Cougars have for their underbelly covering.

What people forget is that travel trailers (all types) and motorhomes take extra prevention and work to maintain them. This is just part of RV'ing. My neighbors see me crawling around and walking on the roof working on our 5er all of the times. They think we are nuts for all of the work that I put into the 5er. But than I have a house on wheels and not some flee bit hotel with bed bugs in it.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Belly panels or one piece belly pans are common on mid range RV's and up ... they do add insulation value both winter and summer, give a bit more areodynamics benefit, provide a bit of sound deadening, and provide a bit of "critter/insect" deterent. At least on the CC and Silverbacks, there are 1X2 or 1X3 wood strips running IBeam to IBeam above each overlaping joint of the belly panels. They are there to provide something to screw into to sorta keep each pan from bowing down at the seams and falling out. If you drop a panel and feel righ above the astrfoil insulation, there should be a wood strip with in a couple of inches. Make sure they are in place when you put the pan back on and screw a half dozen screws thru both panels at the joint overlap into the wood.
The Darco wrap used widely by many manufacturers is just the flimsy black woven material they attach directly to the bottom flooring to cover the wood or particle board. On RV's like Oaklevel talks about with no belly pan ... if you look up inbetween the frame rails ... you'll see the stuff on the below the flooring right above the cross beams. It has no insulation value, but there is insulation just above it. Darco is on the bottom of most slides as well. Forest River is having issues with it fraying along the edges of the slides.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Our you sure? This is from the PUMA TOY Hauler exterior features list. And I quote "•Darco Wrapped Underbelly" end quote. To me this is covering the underbelly of your unit.

All three of my 5er's have had some type of belly covering for the water and waste tanks. They all advertised that the tank area was heated and or protected some way for freezing prevention. Also this prevents air buffeting of the underneath belly area when travel at 60MPH down the road.

Cedar Creek units do the covering just a little different and in my very humble opinion this is a better option than what the Keystone Cougars have for their underbelly covering.

What people forget is that travel trailers (all types) and motorhomes take extra prevention and work to maintain them. This is just part of RV'ing. My neighbors see me crawling around and walking on the roof working on our 5er all of the times. They think we are nuts for all of the work that I put into the 5er. But than I have a house on wheels and not some flee bit hotel with bed bugs in it.

I think I know what I have The wrapped Darco Underbelly is not the sheets of hard material and insulation below the frame covering the tanks etc. My Darco wrap is a material that looks like a black tarp materiel to keep water off the flooring, it is directly under the flooring and on top of the frame. My frame, tanks & piping are exposed with no covering. All our campers have been that way.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote