Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

CC helps with LP/Elec water heater at Goshen

It's previously been reported on this forum that the newer Cedar Creeks mine) with the IN-Command control system (like mine) do not have a way of energizing/deenergizing the electric side of the water heater from inside the RV. I'm now at the FROG International Rally in Goshen and have some progress to report toward a solution.

Yesterday, I was talking to the In command control system tech rep at the ASA/Jensen booth to see if he knew of a reason I could not connect the water heater control lines to the In command control board myself. He said I could and was curious as well why CC didn't do this to begin with. He then reached out to Nick Schrock from Cedar Creek div. who came over to join into the discussion. Nick had no real explanation why CC was not using the In command system other than to say the focus has been on moving to the tankless hw systems. (which many owners are rejecting btw). But, he said he'd pass it on to the electrical engineering team at CC.

This morning, I went to the CC office at the rally to meet Denise Davis. (nice lady btw) and found Nick talking to Denise and an CC engineer about this very topic. A few hours later I got a phone call asking if I could meet a some people at my campsite to show them my problem. When I got to my campsite, there were 2 CC service techs, one a water heater /plumber and the other an In Command installer/programmer.

Within 10 minutes, the gas side was converted to the In command system and wires for the electric side were run to the water heater. A relay that they didn't have is needed to complete the conversion but I told them I'd finished it when I get home since I already have a relay and they already did the hard part. I will file a final report when I complete the conversion.

I was also told that CC will likely be connecting the water heater to the In command system in the near future and thanked me for my input.

Tomorrow, my wife and I will be driving FROG taxis around the fairground and then will go to the Cedar Creek Plant for a tour in the afternoon, but all in all TODAY was great day at the rally. Thanks Cedar Creek

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
CCRVOC

Thanks Jeff. Another great example of how Cedar Creek factory listens to customers and responds to improve the product. Nick and Denise are great to work with and have been very helpful to Irene and me in the past.

sorry that we were not able to attend the rally this year. Hope the parking of the FR products went well - especially since there were not as many this year.

miles on CC - 2011 = 6035; 2012 = 14779; 2013 = 9066; 2014 = 5263; 2015 = 11179; 2016 = 5869; 2017 = 7290
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Gee, do I get to take my 12 week old CC Hathaway back to CC to have my tank water heater connected to the In-Command system also? When I asked about it they said well it wasn't engineered to do that. And like the Jensen people told me this week, too bad about your remote control to your JE5015 that never worked on your 12 week old Jensen TV, you'll just have to go to our on-line store and order a new one and btw they're out of stock. My roof tears off on the first trip with this rig getting here to the Rally, I can't connect my water heater, and I have to buy a new remote control. Must be holding my tongue wrong.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

The in-Comand connection is pretty simple
..I post a summary when I get home next week.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
The in-Comand connection is pretty simple
..I post a summary when I get home next week.

I actually know how to do it, I just wanted to see what Forest River was going to tell me about it. I found it interesting that they didn't give you the same story, instead they actually did something I already knew could be done. The Jensen people really ticked me off when they ignored the warranty on a remote control, probably would have cost them what $2. and told me to go buy a new one for $20. I also got shafted by Forest River on the Backup Camera, I ordered the CC with a backup camera, was supposed to be the Gen 3 Furrion, it for whatever reason didn't get installed at the factory so the dealer when I called them on it said they had one in stock and installed it. It was the Gen 2, when I told all this to the Furrion Rep here he said gee too bad you'll have to replace the whole system to be able to add the side cameras that my unit has the prep for, oh boy I get to pay for the Gen 3 twice. As for the roof, well when I went down to talk to them about the roof I got the brush off because apparently Orvin had already told them about it but they didn't even acknowledge me as the customer, just said yes we know about it have a nice day. So I used to be a pretty big supporter of FR, not so much after this rally.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

This is AWESOME news! Being new to the CC family (less than 2 months), I get frustrated that such a good system like In-Command wasn't wired out of the gate to control the hot water heater. IC has the functionality available....I can see it and push the magic buttons but since it isn't wired, it does nada.

Would love to have a write up on this along with relay part numbers, etc. I will be checking periodically as I really want this feature enabled.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #7

We have the same non-connectivity situation with 19.5 Hathaway reference the gas/electric water heater. Started a discussion here back in January but obviously to new for any positive input. We are glad you brought this up at Goshen and are looking forward to installation details when you have the time. We've got to get to Goshen!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #8

We left the 5th Wheel at Orvan's after the rally so it will be a week or so before I can finish the WH to iN-comand system connections, but it should go quickly since they ran the wires for me.

Just to be clear...I was never given an explanation why they did not do this from the beginning, but everyone I talked to thought it was a good Idea.

I was also told that the Electrical Eng people are looking at that change for future builds...but it won't be connected to the in-Comand control system because, they discontinued using that system and haves switched to the LCI "My Control" System. I don't know if that is better or not, but at least they can fully integrate the LevelUp controls instead of having 2 different control systems like I have now.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I was also told that the Electrical Eng people are looking at that change for future builds...but it won't be connected to the in-Comand control system because, they discontinued using that system and haves switched to the LCI "My Control" System. I don't know if that is better or not, but at least they can fully integrate the LevelUp controls instead of having 2 different control systems like I have now.
I don't know how long the In-Command has been around ---- but I will say that CC's utilization of the technology is lack luster. Or perhaps it's not the utilization but rather the configuration. I think that system has so much potential that isn't being tapped. For example, I bet you can open/close each slide via In-Command but instead, you have to turn hydraulic valves in the compartment. And the same with the leveling system. I don't get why I have a small external LevelUp pad on the outside and then a digital display in the compartment. That external one has no security on it.

Things to look for with my next camper.....in 10 years! Ugh.

Tags
heater, water, water heater