Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 2015 Silverback 29RE Weight

The Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE pamphlet specifications are dramatically different than the Recreational Vehicle Trailer Cargo Carrying Capacity tag that is on the 5thW entrance door. In the pamphlet the Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 9790 with gross weight of 13615. Where the RVTCCC (tag on the vehicle door) Dry Weight is 10675 with a cargo carrying capacity of 2881 or a gross weight of 13556.

So one can see the pamphlet GVWR and the door sticker are pretty close.

My buying the Cedar Creek Silverback decision was based on numerous things but one of the major items was the hitch weight. The pamphlet hitch weight is 1615 but I believe the actual hitch weight is considerable higher based on my using the tag on the vehicle door. It appears the pamphlet hitch weight is calculated on the Axel Dry Weight of 8175 or about 19.7% hitch ratio which is close to the accepted weight of 20% to 22% for the hitch balance towing weight.

Well if one take the vehicle door sticker dry weight and uses the 20% to 22% number the hitch weight comes out to about 2135 (20%) to 2349 (22%).

The reason for all this is I am pulling the 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback with a 3/4 quarter ton 2011 Silverado diesel pickup. While the unit has enough power and I could justify the hitch weight of 1615 BUT if the hitch weight is based on door vehicle specification it appears I am way over on the hitch weight.

The question is has anyone had their Silverback 29RE weighted and if so what did you come up with for a hitch weight.
flrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

Take it to a commercial scale and get your front axel, rear axle and trailer axles weighed. Then you will get your actual weight. Before you do that run by with your unloaded truck and get it weighed. That will allow you to calc your hitch weight.

My 2016 31RK weighed out pretty close to the Cedar Creek specs. The hitch weight will depend on how you load it and the type of pin box on the trailer.

Also, your fifth wheel hitch weight capacity on your truck is not the same as bumper towing capacity. The 3/4 ton Chevy is likely somewhere in the 2200-2500 range ( you can look it up on the manufacturers site).

I wouldn't think you would have any issue pulling a 29 with your truck. I pull my 31RK with a 3/4 ton F250 Diesel no problem.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Actually those weights sound more like a 31, are you sure they didn't put the wrong sticker on? Do you have a copy of the manufacturers certificate. It will have the weights.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

I have a 2012 silverback and pull it with a 2011 GMC diesel 2500 crew cab. The truck handle s the trailer just fine. I don't even know it is back there
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #5

You made the same exact mistake that I did when buying my Creek. You got suckered into believing brochures. Big mistake.
Based on my experience and your trailers GVWR likely your pin weight is going to be close to 3000 pounds. Time for more truck.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #6

FWIW my measured pin weight off a certified scale was 1700# for my dry CC Silverback 31RK. This was 16% of the trailer weight. The rear kitchen puts the appliances back over and behind the trailer axles so I suspect that it runs toward the lower end of the 15-20% range of tongue to trailer weight ratio. I would bet that an Island Kitchen version would be higher as would a version with different slide out sizes.

Adding extra batteries and a washer dryer all went up front so I expect when I am through I will be closer to the 18-19% range still well within the rated 5th wheel hitch weight rating for my F250. I plan to weigh it fully loaded before hitting the road next week. For 10 minutes and $11.50 at the Pilot station it is nice piece of mind.

Moral of the story is go get weighed and don't trust stickers or the Internet. There are so many variations on 5th wheel frames, hitches, pin boxes, appliances and tank locations that you really should just see what is real for your truck and trailer and not what all of us say.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #7

We pull our 31RK with a 2008 F250 diesel with no problem at all. You should have no problem.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Always Learning

I was going to say, "Based on options, a difference of 900 pounds is a little high, but not wildly unrealistic."

But, that is quite a bit of difference in a 34' camper. My 42' camper has a difference of 400 lbs. between the 2 weights and my actual weighed weight is another 200 pounds higher than that (600 pounds different than the actual advertised dry weight).

Do you own this camper? Are you looking at a specific one at a dealership?

If it were me, I would take the VIN and contact Cedar Creek directly with this question.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrp View Post
The Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE pamphlet specifications are dramatically different than the Recreational Vehicle Trailer Cargo Carrying Capacity tag that is on the 5thW entrance door. In the pamphlet the Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 9790 with gross weight of 13615. Where the RVTCCC (tag on the vehicle door) Dry Weight is 10675 with a cargo carrying capacity of 2881 or a gross weight of 13556.

So one can see the pamphlet GVWR and the door sticker are pretty close.

My buying the Cedar Creek Silverback decision was based on numerous things but one of the major items was the hitch weight. The pamphlet hitch weight is 1615 but I believe the actual hitch weight is considerable higher based on my using the tag on the vehicle door. It appears the pamphlet hitch weight is calculated on the Axel Dry Weight of 8175 or about 19.7% hitch ratio which is close to the accepted weight of 20% to 22% for the hitch balance towing weight.

Well if one take the vehicle door sticker dry weight and uses the 20% to 22% number the hitch weight comes out to about 2135 (20%) to 2349 (22%).

The reason for all this is I am pulling the 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback with a 3/4 quarter ton 2011 Silverado diesel pickup. While the unit has enough power and I could justify the hitch weight of 1615 BUT if the hitch weight is based on door vehicle specification it appears I am way over on the hitch weight.

The question is has anyone had their Silverback 29RE weighted and if so what did you come up with for a hitch weight.

Ok, per the vehicle placard on the tow vehicle either at the B-pillar or on the door itself; there is listed your Gross Rear Axle Weight. What is this weight for your Chevy? This is the weight you are not to exceed for the rear axle gross weight. And the Combined weight with the front axle weight are also listed. You should not exceed either of these weight.

As stated above you need to weight the truck and trailer on a certified scale such as a Cat scale at a truck stop; very easy to do. This should represent what you will use in the trailer when traveling.

You can then determine what needs to be done with your situation.

Such as carrying less mass (weight) in the trailer or load some of the heavier items in the rear of the trailer. This will lighten your pin weight on the rear axle but will not lighten the GCW of the truck and trailer.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #10

I've learned to forget the 15 or 20 percent pin weight crap. The only accurate weight is had from a scale. If the pin advertised at 1615, I be surprised if its comes in at more than 1,800 or 1,900 when loaded. Your truck can handle more than that. When the manufactures specify a cargo capacity of the truck, its the low end of cargo without trailer brakes.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #11

QUICK SELL YOUR RV!! Or buy a Freightliner, Peterbilt or Mack tractor!!
I have CASH and will offer $20,000 to ease your concern and pain! Of course, my offer is contingent upon full inspection, transfer of factory warranty and other things I may come up with. 👿
If you get soooo wrapped up in all of these concerns, it will translate into tow fear for you and family!
You have plenty of truck! You may want to beef up the suspension to eliminate squat!
Every person on this forum has their OPINION. ( including me ).
I have a 2015 33rl and have been all over Timbuctoo and back and big trips planned this fall. My prior unit was a 37 ft Keystone, triple slide, same tow vehicle all x country, up mountains, down mountains, ice storms in Texas, sand storms in Arizona and roughest roads outside of Alaska ( Pennsylvania ).
You need 4 things:
* confidence
* minimal squat for good front tire road contact and steering.
* total surge protection
* Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Go forth and learn to adjust as you go!
Relax, this is SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!!
Remember, there are resources all over the USA. You are not alone out there!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

Hope this isn't off the subject. We just picked up our new 2016 silverback 29re. I have ram boxes so a sidewinder king pin was installed at the dealer. When I got home…200 miles away approx, the sidewinder was off center a tad and made unhitching a little difficult. Do i just hammer it back in line so when I re hook up all is strait?? Thanks for your help!
silverback16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #13

What some people forget is we are not truckers, we pull a RV. I have never weighed my Cedar Creek and never expect too, my Silverado 3500 pulls camper just fine and a 2500 would pull just as good. I think a TPMS is more important than worrying about weight, I have LT tires and a surge suppressor and a TPMS, I don't worry about weight, I just have fun. Now if DOT in each state wants to make money then they can start weighting rvs, they would make a ton, the only thing is when I drove a truck I dodged all the scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #14

My buddy just bought a 29RE pulls with 2500 long box dodge gas not a problem.
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, weight