Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Cedar Creek 2019 36 Ck2

We will be taking delivery of a new 36CK2 next week. And was lucky to find one with the fiberglass end cap. We live in Alberta Canada. The tow vehicle is a 2018 Chev 3500HD Diesel SRW. I am wondering if there is anyone that has towed their Cedar Creek with a similar truck through the mountains in British Columbia and how it went.

jmcclocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

I have a Cedar Creek 32RL with a GVWR within 800 pounds of your 36CK2. I like the rear cap. But no you shouldn’t have any trouble pulling your camper. I have 2012 Silverado diesel 3500 SRW. I have no trouble pulling big mountains or coming down with the exhaust brake. I would not have dually if you gave it to me. The Cedar Creek factory has been very good to us. I have had both caps replaced on our camper plus the factory just paid to have the front cap repainted. Enjoy your new camper. We took our Cedar Creek to Alaska in 17, no trouble with camper. By the way what brand of tires did the factory install on your camper

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have a Cedar Creek 32RL with a GVWR within 800 pounds of your 36CK2. I like the rear cap. But no you shouldn’t have any trouble pulling your camper. I have 2012 Silverado diesel 3500 SRW. I have no trouble pulling big mountains or coming down with the exhaust brake. I would not have dually if you gave it to me. The Cedar Creek factory has been very good to us. I have had both caps replaced on our camper plus the factory just paid to have the front cap repainted. Enjoy your new camper. We took our Cedar Creek to Alaska in 17, no trouble with camper. By the way what brand of tires did the factory install on your camper
Thanks for the reply. I will let you know the tire brand when I get the trailer. All I know is they are 16" G series 14 ply.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclocklin View Post
We will be taking delivery of a new 36CK2 next week. And was lucky to find one with the fiberglass end cap. We live in Alberta Canada. The tow vehicle is a 2018 Chev 3500HD Diesel SRW. I am wondering if there is anyone that has towed their Cedar Creek with a similar truck through the mountains in British Columbia and how it went.
Not exactly the same but 33IK with a 2018 3500 Crew Cab SRW Diesel. Pulled through the mountains of North Carolina with no concerns. I have the Andersen Ultimate,

Jim
Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Full Time RV'er

We have a 2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2. Gross is 16.5K The Diesel engines made in the Dodge, Chevy and Ford will have no trouble pulling. Anytime your in the mountains the pulling is not the issue, stopping is. Since upgrading to a truck with engine brake the stopping issue has gone away. I-70 in Colorado is a good test - it's nice to set the cruise at 65 (traffic permitting) and never have to use the foot brake is really great.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
Global Nomad

I have a 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, which I think is the predecessor of yours. The Gross Vehicle Weight, fully loaded, is 16,000 lbs. I bought the RV, then the truck to match. At that time, the RAM 3500 SRW had a towing capacity of 17,000 lbs. Since I knew I would be going to Alaska, over the Canadian Rockies, I thought a 1,000 cushion was cutting it close. I got the dually, which added 10,000 lbs towing capacity. VERY, VERY happy with my choice.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Rocker switch

Of the subject... quick question. On my 2019 36ck2, what is the big black rocker switch in the hall closet where the command screen is located?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
Full Time RV'er

On mine it's the ceiling fan switch.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
On mine it's the ceiling fan switch.
Same here.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thank you for the reply's.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
The tires installed are West Lake. My neighbor owns a tire store here in Canada. I asked him about the tires and he said they are less expensive option and if we were doing a lot of towing he suggested it would be a good idea to go with Good Year or similar. But for our current needs the tires will work well.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:52 AM   #12
Global Nomad

Quote:
The tires installed are West Lake. My neighbor owns a tire store here in Canada. I asked him about the tires and he said they are less expensive option and if we were doing a lot of towing he suggested it would be a good idea to go with Good Year or similar. But for our current needs the tires will work well.
I live full time in my Cedar Creek 36CKTS with Westlake tire. I went 20,000 miles on them through 36 states before I switch them out for Sailun Tires because I was taking a 3 month 7,000 miles trip through Alaska. I think the life expectancy was 30,000 for the Westlakes, which is why I switched them out.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #13

I have the Goodyear G614 on my Cedar Creek. If I owned a Cedar Creek 36CK2 I would install the 17.5 Goodyear tires. I like the Goodyear’s
Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
We have a 2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2. Gross is 16.5K The Diesel engines made in the Dodge, Chevy and Ford will have no trouble pulling. Anytime your in the mountains the pulling is not the issue, stopping is. Since upgrading to a truck with engine brake the stopping issue has gone away. I-70 in Colorado is a good test - it's nice to set the cruise at 65 (traffic permitting) and never have to use the foot brake is really great.
Yes I agree. I have 33RL and 3500 Dodge. I also live in Alberta. I have had my brakes overheat on a very long downgrade into Radium hot springs. I have since added an exhaust brake. Hoping this will help a lot. You can see a video on it here. I'll add a link. Its definitely the brakes you need to worry about not the power.

https://youtu.be/GgS-yEJqOZE
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
Yes I agree. I have 33RL and 3500 Dodge. I also live in Alberta. I have had my brakes overheat on a very long downgrade into Radium hot springs. I have since added an exhaust brake. Hoping this will help a lot. You can see a video on it here. I'll add a link. Its definitely the brakes you need to worry about not the power.

https://youtu.be/GgS-yEJqOZE
Great video and thanks. I have a factory engine brake. My concern was taking the Coquihalla from Merrit over to the Okanagan. I know the hill to Radium your talking about. So the Coquihalla shouldn't be a problem. We are in Spruce Grove and have a place at Trestle Creek Golf Resort in the summer if you are ever in the area stop by.
Thanks again
Old 03-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Great video and thanks. I have a factory engine brake. My concern was taking the Coquihalla from Merrit over to the Okanagan. I know the hill to Radium your talking about. So the Coquihalla shouldn't be a problem. We are in Spruce Grove and have a place at Trestle Creek Golf Resort in the summer if you are ever in the area stop by.
Thanks again
Thanks for invite. I wanted to check out that resort. We have a lot at Half Moon Lake we stay at in summer. Just south of Sherwood Park. We will be heading there sometime in April. Drop us a line if your around as well.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
Thanks for invite. I wanted to check out that resort. We have a lot at Half Moon Lake we stay at in summer. Just south of Sherwood Park. We will be heading there sometime in April. Drop us a line if your around as well.
We have been at Half Moon before very nice. If you golf we are getting known as one of the top courses in the Edmonton area. We go to Penticton every year so thata why I was wondering about pulling thru mountains. This is our first 5th been using TT until now
Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
We have been at Half Moon before very nice. If you golf we are getting known as one of the top courses in the Edmonton area. We go to Penticton every year so thata why I was wondering about pulling thru mountains. This is our first 5th been using TT until now
You will really like how the 5th pulls and handles. I'm doing a series of videos on a number of modifications we did to our 5th if your at all interested let me know I'll send you some links. We are heading out on our first trip this upcoming weekend
Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #19

The best mod I ever did to my Cedar Creek was install disk brakes, not cheap but will stop your camper on a dime. Best mod I have ever done to the Creek
Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
The best mod I ever did to my Cedar Creek was install disk brakes, not cheap but will stop your camper on a dime. Best mod I have ever done to the Creek
I agree with Spock123, Install disc brakes and all of your stopping problems will be taken care of

Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek