Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 36 CKTS slide problem

Hi, I'm new at this so bear with me. I just came back from Arizona to Canada hauling my fifth wheel. Took it up to our lot and went to open the slides. All three opened up however I noticed the one for the kitchen and entertainment/fireplace did not open all the way. I retracted it and went to put it back out and it only went about a foot. One side goes further then the other therefore I would say binding the slide. I can't get it to go out any further. it comes in but the side that won't go out and binds does not come in tight. I am out of sync somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts on what is wrong. I am mot even sure but I think is is just electric and not hydraulic. Can anyone help me here. Thanks

Eric from Canada
Omatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Try this web site www.granddesignrv it has instructions how to realign your slides. If that dosn't work call Lippert they will walk you through it I have had very good luck dealing with them on slide issues. Good luck
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #3

That slide is always the last one to move when I extend/retract mine. It is because of the weight of the slide. The hydraulics move the lightest one first and so on. I wonder if you are low on fluid and the pump is running dry as it gets to the point of extending this slide? Did you try shutting off the valve for the bedroom and main slide? This would send fluid to only the street side slide room.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
That slide is always the last one to move when I extend/retract mine. It is because of the weight of the slide. The hydraulics move the lightest one first and so on. I wonder if you are low on fluid and the pump is running dry as it gets to the point of extending this slide? Did you try shutting off the valve for the bedroom and main slide? This would send fluid to only the street side slide room.

I have the other two slides switched off. I may be low in fluid but I think maybe just hauling down the highway somehow the slide is out of sync and one side wants to go out before the other therefore binding. I need to find how I sync the two sides to travel the same I guess. It's on a lot for the summer so I may need to have someone come look at it. I was just hoping I could do it myself as I have a fair bit of mechanical experience. Thanks for the help
Old 04-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

If you are really out of sync with a slide you have a big problem. To get out of sync you have to have jumped teeth on the syncronizing rack underneath. This will often break teeth in the gears and they will have to be replaced. Otherwise, you can disconnect the gear drive, line up the slide and reconnect it using wrenches and a jack. If you continue to jump teeth, there is a Lippert fix for crowning of the extension tubes. You have some serious homework to do. Best of luck.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
If you are really out of sync with a slide you have a big problem. To get out of sync you have to have jumped teeth on the syncronizing rack underneath. This will often break teeth in the gears and they will have to be replaced. Otherwise, you can disconnect the gear drive, line up the slide and reconnect it using wrenches and a jack. If you continue to jump teeth, there is a Lippert fix for crowning of the extension tubes. You have some serious homework to do. Best of luck.

Well it went out when I set it up however not all the way. I retracted it and it came in. Made some noice and when I went to put it back in it wouldn't go out again as as I said the one side went faster than the other side so binds up. Goes back in so I know it is out of align somehow. Thanks for the info. I have sent a message to Forest River so should hear from them in a day or so. I will also contact Lippert for their advice.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

There is a pretty simple cross shaft pinned at both ends that drives the gears at both ends. You have either broken a tooth or possibly broken a pin on the cross shaft. You need to get under there and inspect closely all the parts. Being a hydraulic slide the ram moves and one side drives the other side.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

I just went through the same issue. Dealer tried 3 time storage fix it without success. Take a good look at three ears the slide arms connect to. One of mine had. The welds breaking, it was on the arm under the fridge. Had it rewelded and reinforced and life is great now.
Aurorarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorarv View Post
I just went through the same issue. Dealer tried 3 time storage fix it without success. Take a good look at three ears the slide arms connect to. One of mine had. The welds breaking, it was on the arm under the fridge. Had it rewelded and reinforced and life is great now.

Ok, Thanks. Just tying to get as much info as I can and then go look at it really good.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
There is a pretty simple cross shaft pinned at both ends that drives the gears at both ends. You have either broken a tooth or possibly broken a pin on the cross shaft. You need to get under there and inspect closely all the parts. Being a hydraulic slide the ram moves and one side drives the other side.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

I have had the same trouble. Instead of using Lippert's crown fix, I built my own fix. The link below will show you what I did.

Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Slide Tube Reinforcement

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #12

Nice fix. Lippert now uses 2 pads, side by side so the load is not on the center of the tube and it shouldn't crown.

I had problems on both sides of the rig. I fixed one side at home by welding a reenfocement piece on the top of the tubes. The other side failed on the road when a slide topper jammed. I used the Lippert washer fix, although an RV service tech thought my weld job was a better fix. In either case, I have had no problems since.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
Nice fix. Lippert now uses 2 pads, side by side so the load is not on the center of the tube and it shouldn't crown.

I had problems on both sides of the rig. I fixed one side at home by welding a reenfocement piece on the top of the tubes. The other side failed on the road when a slide topper jammed. I used the Lippert washer fix, although an RV service tech thought my weld job was a better fix. In either case, I have had no problems since.
Thanks! A slide topper is what started the problem for me. Once the steel is bent and straightened one time, it loses it's strength and continues to bend. I didn't know about the side by side pads. Good move by Lippert.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, slide