Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 36CKTS water tank

Good afternoon
We purchased a 2105 Cedar Creek 36CKTS last year, the first time we used the on board fresh water tank, it Blew out the outlet fitting on the bottom of the tank after we filled with water. We cared it back to the dealer and they repaired it. We don't use the tank except one time per year, the rest of the time we are connected to city water.
We got ready to leave this year to use the Fresh water tank, Filled it up and again it blew out the outlet fitting on the bottom of the tank. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is causing this?
Haroldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Not sure exactly what an "outlet fitting" is? If you are talking about the plastic drain valve/petcock, then yes, they break. Most likely cause is freezing temps and no antifreeze in the FW tank. Another possibility is that your overflow vent is blocked. That would cause a pressure buildup that could cause your issue. When you fill the tank does water run out of the overflow?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

The outlet fitting would be the supply line from the tank to the water pump. It is not freezing, both times it has done this it is above 75 degrees.
Yes water ran out the overflow tube. Then the pressure from the tank being full cause the supply line on bottom to blow out the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Who knows what the dealer did to repair your tank ... Are you sure it is the fitting itself or did the hose just blow off the fitting? The hose is held on by a PEX crimp connector. The fittings and bosses cemented to the tanks are all plastic. If the threads are gone and all they did was wrap a bunch of teflon tape around a new fitting ... you know the result. Sometimes the vent line is kinked and as you fill the tank up via the fresh water fill valve, pressure builds up and the tank enlarges. You usually get a noticable bulge in the floor when this happens as the tank swells up inside the frame under the floor. I'd guess what I eluded to at the beginning ... the fitting was stripped out at the factory and the tech half a__ed it. Installing a new tank isn't that hard ... I did on my brand new Silverback 2 months after I got it. The tank was cracked above the outlet fitting. I don't trust dealer techs and had the tank delivered to my home straight from the CC factory warranty division.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Yes the fitting is still attached to the line and looks like it was glued in. The Plastic covers on the bottom of the tank are bulged out. The vent line was draining when I reached max fill but not a lot.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Some pics might help to communicate your issue.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
CCRVOC

I stop filling my fresh water tank when the overflow (vent) begins "flowing". I never have the water supply spigot all the way open to try to prevent an over pressure in the tank. Nor do I trust the tank sensors to tell me when it is full. So far so good.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

No issues with mine.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #9

I , have heard the vent line from the tank wont handle the flow from filling ,we put in about 10 gal at a time so havent had a problem. maybe try filling at 1/2 rate?
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

Big Bill ... the vent line is 1/2" as is the fill line. The problem lotsa times is the vent line is kinked over itself during installation ... mine was and secured with a wire tie to boot. A mobile repair guy in my area brought this up in conversation.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Big Bill ... the vent line is 1/2" as is the fill line. The problem lotsa times is the vent line is kinked over itself during installation ... mine was and secured with a wire tie to boot. A mobile repair guy in my area brought this up in conversation.
OP : I took this picture at the factory, this was a Silverback. Fill tube on left, overflow tube on right.
dieselguy: Not sure if the "loop" in the vent line stays in that position or not, but if it gets kinked that would be a problem as you noted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Aug Goshen Rally_1280 fresh tank.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	91053  
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldm View Post
Good afternoon
We purchased a 2105 Cedar Creek 36CKTS last year, the first time we used the on board fresh water tank, it Blew out the outlet fitting on the bottom of the tank after we filled with water. We cared it back to the dealer and they repaired it. We don't use the tank except one time per year, the rest of the time we are connected to city water.
We got ready to leave this year to use the Fresh water tank, Filled it up and again it blew out the outlet fitting on the bottom of the tank. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is causing this?
I had the same problem this year with my 2015 36CKTS. I used it last year without any issues. First time I used it this year it leaked out of the fill hose/fitting. Can't tell because the hose goes through a hole in the belly pan that is filled with foam insulation. Took it to the dealer for repairs but he was not specific what he did. The next time I tried to fill the tank it leaked but not as bad as the first time. It won't hold water for more than a day. I think I also have the vent line plugged because when I filled the tank water did not come out of the overflow and the kitchen began to bulge. It is still under warranty so the dealer has another chance to fix it reght.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #13

Ours filled fine for a month or so, then it started acting differently. I'd get a little trickle out the overflow when it was getting full instead of the usual gush. Then one time I barely got the trickle and noticed the bulging belly pan and camper floor. I opened the tank drain and had a jet of water coming out. I found the vent hose had gone soft and collapsed/kinked at the 3 o'clock position in the pic above. Hard to get to, but easy fix.

If you're not feeling a breeze out the vent when you're filling the tank, then it's not venting properly. It should be very obvious.

The loop is there to prevent siphoning as you're travelling. It's a good idea to keep it, just with quality hose.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Had same problem. Vent hose had a twist tie around it.Some quality control. Ha.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, tank, water, water tank