Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 38FL - L1 and L2 inputs

Hi All,

Just purchased a new Cedar Creek 38FL. Was wondering if anyone can tell me what will work ( and won't work - L1 vs. L2 line ) if I can only plug into a 30 amp circuit?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure if your Cedar Creek has a 30 or 50 amp cord. Either way, as long as you have a matching plug, you can run just about anything. You would definitely need 50 amp if your rig has two air conditioners to run at the same time, or maybe the microwave and air conditioner at the same time. 50 amp is needed to run the higher load items together. 30 amp will run most things. Just gotta try things out.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Jack of All Trades

Get a 50 amp (female) to 30 amp (male) dogbone - that will power both circuits in the trailer. You will only be able to use a maximum of 30 amps, so can't operate both ac's, microwave and ac, or any combination of high draw appliances.
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Wiring Diagram and Adapters

We have a 38FL and one of the tasks I will be working on when the weather is good (not the next week or two) is developing a wiring diagram for the 12V and 120V circuits so we have an idea of what is wired on to what leg of the 120 circuits.

You can find many adapters (50-30, 50-15) for the power at Camco. When at home we have a short 50amp-15amp converter - all circuits seem to be powered, but of course running both ACs would overload the cuircuit in the house.

So I can't tell you what appliances/ACs/plugs are on what side of the circuits yet, but you can run using some of those adapters, just keep in mind you can not draw the full circuit power as if you were on a 50amp park plug.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Hi Walter,

How do you like your 38FL? Mine is still sitting at the dealership waiting for the 2013 F350 that I just purchased.

Don
Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Don,
We love the camper! We have only had it out three times so far for a total of 2 weeks camping but still have not had any problems. We had a few minor issues/warranty work but only minor issues. Even our adult kids love it and want to still go camping with us. We are going to need some tents….
The boss picked the floor plan, but after about 4 hours in the unit at the Hershey show, I could easily see us enjoying it… Overall Quality Build and only a few minor issues to date.

Here are a few items to check when you go to pick it up:
  • Battery Cables: Make sure you have the 4x6Volt batteries and all the correct cables. We were missing a cable and didn’t notice until we were home. This resulted in only two of the batteries taking a charge.
  • HDMI Cable: Front TV HDMI cable was routed wrong and resulted in the HDMI cable being broken off the back of the TV. New HDMI Cable and a wire-tie and it is all set.
  • Sound: Front TV and Radio were not wired properly – cables to the TV were not plugged into the proper spaces which resulted in no sound on the sound bar.
  • Front baggage door – Ours is badly warped – Dealer has the new one ready, but due to snow and road salt it will be March or so before we are back to PA for the replacement.
  • Try to include an air-pin box and verify they have all the bolts in place properly. We had a TrailAir installed and then noticed they missed two bolts putting it on… This is a heavy unit to be missing bolts.
  • Go with the two AC units if you have not already done so… Reports are they don’t get very cool in hot weather without the 2nd AC unit. We have not been out in the heat yet, but have the 2 ACs to be sure.
  • Vacuum Cleaner – Open it up and take out the paperwork/install filter.. They demonstrated it during the PDI and I didn’t think it had much suction. All the paper work was still inside the unit.
  • Dump Valves – During the PDI they showed us how to open/close/etc… then left them open and I didn’t notice – think Robin Williams and RV … not pretty the first weekend out..

Some upgrades and changes we have/are making:
  • Added a Barker Vent Stick/crank on the bedroom vent – not tall enough to reach that one. ~$25.00
  • Replaced all floor registers with nicer ones… I just hate the standard RV floor registers. These were around $7.00 each on amazon and have a brushed nickel finish that just looks so much nicer.
  • Adding a Blue Streak Chemical dispenser to the toilet.
  • Adding push bars (CW: ~8.00) to both screen doors (hoping it helps with the grandchildren to keep their fingers off the screens)
  • Installed a WiFi signal extender – this allows us to use the blue-ray/internet box with a consistent setup – and gets around browser authentication that is required on most campground WiFi… Connect with laptop on the extender – configure for the CG WiFi, authenticate with the laptop, and now everything on the extender works including Netflix, etc.
  • Used lots of 3M Command hooks and straps in the basement storage to organize and make the best use of the available storage.
This spring I will be creating the wiring diagrams, but can tell you, if you have the residential fridge, it is on a circuit labeled for the washer/dryer.

Keep in touch! Good luck with your new unit and truck and safe travels. Will update you as spring approaches and we start to get more use out of ours.

Walter & Donna
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Walter. Having the hitch installed tomorrow morning and bringing it home in the afternoon, barring too much snow. I will add your comments to the already 2 pages of questions I have for the walk through. Then we will be doing a run to Elk Neck State Park at Easter to put it through the paces to make sure everything works ok.