Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #21

I just went outside to see the make of my bike rack and it's a Swagman 3 bike carrier. I've been thinking of putting it on my camper bumper. It has the spare on it now. I would take that off and put the spare in the truck bed. Quite frankly my rack bobs and sways a bit. We used it on the back of the Jeep on a trip to Canada and back to FL. We learned to bungi cord the wheels to keep them from rubbing each other. Fits the 2" hitch with a 1.25 tube extending about a foot. That's what flexes. The hitch has a bolt to tighten so that doesn't move. My dealer said he would go along with the bike rack as long as it didn't go near 300lbs. I'm going to try it for the next trip to the FL rally later this month. I'll watch it from the camera on the back of the camper. Make sure it doesn't all come apart...
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Most bike racks state specifically not to use on any trailer. The movement of a trailer causes stress well beyond their design. There are a few designed for trailers and there priced over $200. I stay way back from any trailer with a bike rack.
I don't know where you got that information, I'm sure you believe this but if bike racks were not designed to go on any trailer, they could say the same thing about putting them on cars or trucks or anything that goes down the road.

What I do know is putting a bike rack on a travel trailer 4 inch bumper that is only stitch welded, then yes I would have to agree with you. Putting a bike rack on a bolted on hitch or a welded on hitch is no different than putting it on a car or pick up truck and you see them going down the road all the time.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #23

After purchasing a CC 33IK SILVERBACK with a 1 1/4" receiver (from the factory) -- 150# weight limit, I investigated many bike racks. Only one mfg recommended a rack for an RV -- Yakima. But it required a 2" receiver which the 5er did not have. I considered having the 1 1/4" receiver replaced with a 2" and so, to avoid any warranty issues, wrote the support people at Forest River, asking what they would recommend.
I never got a reply. I wrote again and never got a reply.
After awhile (and after an expensive purchase of their 5th wheel), I get the feeling that support/care issues take a back seat. But hey, that's just me expecting service after the sale from the manufacturer. ...doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.
Regardless, I finally opted to not pursue the bike rack issue. I now take off the front wheels of the two bikes that I have and place the bikes just behind the cab in my pick up bed where I secure them with good solid bungee cords. It works fine, easy to load off/on, and no added cost of a bike rack.
Forest River could learn a lot by being a good "service after the sale" type of manufacturer.

Ron and Sue
Colorado Springs, CO
2014 F250 CCSB PowerStroke 6.7L (aka "Pepe")
AirLift Ultimate 5000#
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK (aka "Fred")
argheebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #24
Jeffco, MO

Best bike rack for the back receiver of the 33IK silverback

Look at picture on post #6 with the above title. I have a picture of the bike rack I have used for over 2 years with no problem. I am also aware that the Silverback has a rear bumper for this type of hitch where as the Cedar Creek does not I also have a 2 inch receiver on my truck for another hitch for two bikes. I would not recommend the small hitch on a CC.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Trying to decide if I should order the bike rack hitch with my cedar creek. The 1 1/4 seems pretty limiting...

Any thoughts here?
We ordered our 34RL2 without the bike hitch......didnt think it was up to the task..... for me anyway, Called Lippert to get there take on me adding a 2" rec for a bike carrier. Their response was if it was bolted on, no problem ....but if welded would void frame warranty. Solution was to go to Lippert in Goshen and have them weld the 2" rec on. Cost was $359 including labor.
GoonF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonF250 View Post
We ordered our 34RL2 without the bike hitch......didnt think it was up to the task..... for me anyway, Called Lippert to get there take on me adding a 2" rec for a bike carrier. Their response was if it was bolted on, no problem ....but if welded would void frame warranty. Solution was to go to Lippert in Goshen and have them weld the 2" rec on. Cost was $359 including labor.
Wish I lived anywhere near there sometimes... but great way to go
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecapeman View Post
I have CC rack. Two bikes. No problems. 30,000 miles. Just make sure everything is tight. Also I strap left and right sides to elimanate sway.
What do you mean strap left and right sides? What do you strap to?
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #28

The dealer was consulted when we purchased our 38CK. The dealer installed a 2" receiver on the back of the trailer. It seems to be a very solid install. I purchased a Yakima Rack to hold two Pedego electric assist bikes. We traveled out to SD this year from CT with no problems. Even when I mad a mistake of going via Chicago at rush hour. The bikes were solidly secured. One of the bikes is a Pedego Boomerang model that is the heaviest at 65-70 pounds. The other is a lighter City Commuter. That being said, a significant part of the weight is the battery which is easily 10-15 pounds each. We remove the batteries to make it easier to load them on the rack. Not to mention that replacing these batteries is very costly if they get stolen. The rack is a Yakima Two Timer which allows both of these bikes to sit properly on the rack. So far, no problems and we have had them on the back of the railer for about 5-6000 miles on all road types. I have checked the frame and the installation of the receiver is still very solid. That being said, I will be taking the trailer to the Factory in May 2018 to have the infamous cap fade issue resolved. I plan on having them evaluate my set up as well regarding the bikes.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I don't know where you got that information, I'm sure you believe this but if bike racks were not designed to go on any trailer, they could say the same thing about putting them on cars or trucks or anything that goes down the road.

What I do know is putting a bike rack on a travel trailer 4 inch bumper that is only stitch welded, then yes I would have to agree with you. Putting a bike rack on a bolted on hitch or a welded on hitch is no different than putting it on a car or pick up truck and you see them going down the road all the time.
It is true. Hard to find a bike rack that says it is designed for RVs. Most say not for RVs exactly like the other guy said.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #30

We have a hitch on our Silverback 1 1/4. I can't believe as close as it is to the bumper they did not attach it there also. The bumper is fairly sturdy in it's own right... I have thought of getting a large square type U bolt and just snugging it up to the bumper too just for a little added support. Anyone done this yet or see a problem with it....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #31

Hi,

On my 2014 Silverback, I use an adapter to get from from 1.25" to 2" on my factory installed hitch. Diagonal straps from the bike hitch to the outer edge of the bumper eliminate the sway. I have a two bike rack that itself is 2" bended pipe, so durability there is not an issue, while still well under the 150# limit.

I also have my spare mounted on the bumper, (which I suspect will draw some comment). Thousands of miles of travel with no issues for either the bikes or tire, with periodic inspection of the welds.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #32

My question is does any one use the bike rack from Reese. I was going to get the 4 bike carrier since I figure if it's suppose to be strong enough for 4 bikes then carrying 2 bikes should be a piece of cake for it. I am also going to use some steel and all thread to strap the hitch up to the bumper for more support. The bumper is solid so I figure that should give it more support...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #33

While I did get the receiver on my CC Silverback, I did not trust it to hold our bikes after watching so many bikes bounce on the back of trailers going down the road. So, we ended up with an Arvika rack mounted on the king pin. Now our 2 bikes ride securely up front with very little movement. The only downside is that I have to stand on the truck bed to put them up or take them down but this only takes my wife and I a few minutes to do either. Our bikes are aluminum frame so they are not heavy. Works good for us.
Jmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #34
AlmostretiredTom

I ordered a 2" hitch (from the factory) on our new (2018) Cedar Creek 36CK2. You
must make sure that bike rack is RV rated! Wife and I ordered 2 before we got it right.
We use the Swagman Traveler. Traveled only twice so far but it has worked great. We also ordered additional (4) velcro strips for tire rack (extra ounce of prevention).
tomaziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #35

I had one installed on our 2011 36CKTS at a fab shop and It is so heavy duty i can pull a car trailer with it if need be, but love the bike rack onthe back rain cover on bike and tightly bungeed 1000,s of miles and noprolems with it just check and be assured all bolts are tight and secured
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #36

Well I bolted them together, the hitch and the bumper. I used some all thread and 2 9 inch long heavy 1 1/2 wide steel plate and bolted them together. Makes it a heck of a lot sturdier.....now to get a Swagman. Already have one of those hitch baskets to hold the mobile sewer hauling wagon ........
Old 12-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #37

Traveled to Cape Cod in Spring of this year. Installed a hitch bracket to keep connection tight, but the bounce was so bad, the flexing broke an aluminum basket mount on one of the bikes. Put on several ratchet straps to tighten, seemed ok on way home.

Just made trip to FL carrying two bikes, on way here snapped two bolts on the bike rack due to flexing, had to repair in NC. Made it to FL. In process of making brackets to attach hitch to bumper to stiffen the entire hitch.

Would not have wasted money to have this hitch installed had I know how flimsy it is. I would purchase a bolt on 2 inch receiver that goes between the frame.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #38

Haven't done a trip yet but it really seems to have made that flimsy 1 1/4 hitch a lot more solid.....

Tags
bike, bike rack, cedar creek, hitch