Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Champaign & Riverstone

The DW and I went to Jeff Couch RV while in the Cincinnati area this weekend to see the Champaign. It's the "top of the line" for Cedar Creek. Very nice, however the new Riverstone is another leap up. It was designed to compete with DRV Mobile Suites. We were told the Riverstone model will be renamed the "Legacy". The "new" Riverstone will fit a niche between the Champaign and the Legacy. In addition, all new CC coming out will have new paint designs and interiors. Cedar Creek appears to be on the move....
speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Nice, but waayyyy out of my price range.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Mine too but I like to look and should I win the Powerball

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Quoted price on the Riverstone is $90,853. A whole new level for FR. When this model becomes the Legacy the new Riverstone will be $10-$12k less. Quoted price on the nww Champaign, loaded, was $62k.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Well, not sure what is better for that price...........

if it still has the tankless hot water system, it's a downgrade!!!!! Pretty paint is not worth much money (IMHO).

8K axles, and G611 17.5" tires would help. And a real hot water heater. Paint it pink for all I care, if it has that, I'd buy it.

Just looked a few pics.

It has the same design as my 36CKTS it seems. I'm trying to find substantial differences (in the pictures) and can't. Two big a/c units rather than one big and one medium. Another 'tankless hot water heater' which if I was buying today knowing what I know today, I'd make them replace with a hot water tank. Same refrigerator I have (great reefer). Same microwave. Little bigger TV. Same Lazy Boy furniture (pardon me, but have this in camper and at home (a gift) and I think Lazy Boy makes sucky stuff.......Built in surge guard, but that's not what you need, you need an EMS. Wider body. Bigger propane tanks.

Don't see $30K worth of upgrades.

Just my nine cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #6

Me too, I'll keep what I have for a while longer. Some people like the tankless hot water heater and I plan to install one in my home but I don't like them in campers. I also would like to be able to option in the Goodyear tires. Cedar Creek wants me to trade up then they will have to do a little more. The Lazy-Z-Boy, I have never liked, made in China. A fancy paint job does nothing for me.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #7

It does have the tankless hiot water. I have not had one at home or in an RV. What is the drawback? I did check the tires and they are Goodyear. All walls, including slides are 3 1/4" thick. Shows up in the "dry" weght coming in around 15,800lbs, thus the disc brakes. If i were pulling the trigger I lean more toward the Champaign.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

In a tankless hot water heater the pressure has to be the same for it to work right. In a RV I think that's the problem, anyway I like the LP/electric. Are you sure about the tires? From what I have seen on the website they are not Goodyears

Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

The induction range is another thing I don't like. The tires says ST G rated. You buy what you like but imho it's not for me

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
In a tankless hot water heater the pressure has to be the same for it to work right. In a RV I think that's the problem, anyway I like the LP/electric. Are you sure about the tires? From what I have seen on the website they are not Goodyears

From the specs of the Riverstone:

Goodyear 17.5″ tires 215/75R 17.5 H-rated 16-ply tires.

So........Cedar Creek DOES offer those tires..........contrary to what I was told when trying to decide what to buy.........by Cedar Creek manager. The 8,000 lb axles are required. Another option I'd have gotten if I could have.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

Yep, eyeballed the tires to make sure. I was told one could order with the gas range/oven instead of the induction cooktop. That would be my choice as I use iron cookware.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
It does have the tankless hiot water. I have not had one at home or in an RV. What is the drawback? .
Depends on who you talk to about tankless. Some folks love them and some hate them.

We have one and will never have another RV without one! Unlimited hot water when at hookups and no wait time between showers. We use ours at hookups and boondocking.. no problems.

We have seen none of the problems others talk about: wait time before hot water shows up (ours is about 3-4 seconds), not enough pressure (never had that problem after installing a oxygenics shower head), having to turn the hot water down to increase heat (not a factor), surging temperatures (never had that problem).

Our friends who had one and didn't like it never gave it a chance. Is it a little different to operate? Slightly... but even my young grandkids have no problem with it. You want hotter water.. turn down the flow rate a little (we do it with the shower head or the hot water knob.

So don't let it be a deciding factor in a purchase. To us it is a definite upgrade!

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #13

Champagne Cookware

Any cookware that a magnet clings to will work on top of an induction cooktop. Including iron, steel, etc.... induction cooktop, a coil of copper wire is placed under the cooking pot, under the glass and a current is passed through it. The resulting oscillating magnetic field induces a magnetic flux which repeatedly magnetises the pot, treating it like the magnetic core of a transformer. That produces large currents in the pot, which because of the resistance of the pot, heats it. Get used to it, this is probably the future of RV cooking. No wasted heat, no propane, no excessive interior heating, no burning, efficient and functional. It really makes sense and can run off of solar powered batteries.
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Any cookware that a magnet clings to will work on top of an induction cooktop. Including iron, steel, etc.... induction cooktop, a coil of copper wire is placed under the cooking pot, under the glass and a current is passed through it. The resulting oscillating magnetic field induces a magnetic flux which repeatedly magnetises the pot, treating it like the magnetic core of a transformer. That produces large currents in the pot, which because of the resistance of the pot, heats it. Get used to it, this is probably the future of RV cooking. No wasted heat, no propane, no excessive interior heating, no burning, efficient and functional. It really makes sense and can run off of solar powered batteries.
Plus you forgot to mention no flame to get blown out from the ceiling fan
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Depends on who you talk to about tankless. Some folks love them and some hate them.

We have one and will never have another RV without one! Unlimited hot water when at hookups and no wait time between showers. We use ours at hookups and boondocking.. no problems.

We have seen none of the problems others talk about: wait time before hot water shows up (ours is about 3-4 seconds), not enough pressure (never had that problem after installing a oxygenics shower head), having to turn the hot water down to increase heat (not a factor), surging temperatures (never had that problem).

Our friends who had one and didn't like it never gave it a chance. Is it a little different to operate? Slightly... but even my young grandkids have no problem with it. You want hotter water.. turn down the flow rate a little (we do it with the shower head or the hot water knob.

So don't let it be a deciding factor in a purchase. To us it is a definite upgrade!

I like mine
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post

How many watts does the induction cooktop pull? The induction cooktop does have some good features, kids can't get burned with it. I have the batteries but I don't know about the watts. I want to install a microwave/convection oven and DW wouldn't have to use the oven.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #17

Great info! It isn't the heating equation I am concerned about, even though I learned alot with your explanation. iIt's a concern with scratching or breaking/ cracking the surface with the weight of the iron skillet if I drop it. Both units are equipped with a 200w solar panel...makes sense.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I hate it so far......because I have NO HOT WATER! Glad everyone is on high pressure campsites, because that is required for this to work at all. I wasn't, and 10 days of cold water.

Now......I WISH IT WORKED, because as NM says, it's a great idea! So I'll order the oxygenics shower head (I HOPE these are metal and not the OEM 'plastic painted chrome color' stuff). If that helps shower, fine. But the issue is same in kitchen.........so maybe I need to replace the kitchen faucet...........(Which leaks anyway and is always a POC)......

Sigh.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I hate it so far......because I have NO HOT WATER! Glad everyone is on high pressure campsites, because that is required for this to work at all. I wasn't, and 10 days of cold water.

Now......I WISH IT WORKED, because as NM says, it's a great idea! So I'll order the oxygenics shower head (I HOPE these are metal and not the OEM 'plastic painted chrome color' stuff). If that helps shower, fine. But the issue is same in kitchen.........so maybe I need to replace the kitchen faucet...........(Which leaks anyway and is always a POC)......

Sigh.
I (I HOPE these are metal and not the OEM 'plastic painted chrome color' stuff). If that helps shower, fine. But the issue is same in kitchen...have never seen a metal one just the cheap plastic, but they work great IMO. You can put in regular house hold fixtures, instead of the cheap "O" ring held together fixtures, But I still never seen a metal oxygenic shower head yet...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #20

Well, that's a shame........but if that device will increase water flow, and if water flow (pressure) is required to get me hot water, I'll get one.

Lots to choose from. Not sure of model to get........but will get one and try that. I'm pretty desperate on this hot water issue.

FROG AR-0019-242

Tags
cedar creek