Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Cottage 40CFL

Good afternoon everyone! I have a question I hope I can get some insight into. I figure the forum is the best place.
Does anyone own a Cedar Creek Cottage 40CFL out there? My wife and I are thinking about buying one of these as compared to the Wildcat 34FLRS. There seem to be very significant advantages to living in this extended stay travel trailer over the 5th wheel.
We are retiring to southern Alabama at the end of this year and thought we had decided on the Wildcat but saw one of the Cottages. With the residential refrigerator, 8' ceilings, etc. we can't help but believe it would be a better fit for permanent living.
Any input or positive or negative opinions would be of the greatest help in making a right decision. Thanks again to all of the Forest River family for your help. I hope to make the right choice soon. Have a great day!
navypoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

You’re comparing apples to oranges. The Wildcat line really isn’t designed for living in it full time or long extended periods while the Cedar Creek cottage is. Go with the Cedar Creek you will be much happier.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Cant help you A lot with the cottage part but. I can tell after owning our 38FL 5th wheel for 2 monthes now, That you possitivly cannot beat the residental refridgerater. Cold all the time. The freezer is A freezer(Ice Cream stays frozen) the Ice Maker is great. No more mini fans to cool the flue and move air in the fridge. What more can I say its great. Only problem we had was on our first trip it fell out of the cabinet! OOPS never secured correctly at the bottom of fridge. That was A mess. Now we are playing the waiting game for A new fridge door!!!!!
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

If you plan on leaving it in one place and never pulling it, you should go with the cottage. If you plan on pulling it around any, you might want to go with a fiver. I have to wonder, though, couldn't you get a single wide house trailer cheaper?
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Cedar Creek Cottage 40CFL

Mike: The cost of the single wide would be a little more but the "R" factors are better in the cottage and the homeowners insurance for the single wide is more than triple the cost of full timers insurance from Good Sam.
I liked the idea of a single wide but if you wanted to move you pay thru the nose for a moving company to move it vs. just hooking up and go with the Cottage.
I appreciate the "food for thought" reply.
Navypoppop
navypoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #6

NavyPopPop....

did you go with the cottage? Hubby and I are looking at the 40CFL here in tucson AZ. We will be moving it every couple of years, as the mining work moves us around....hubby is a pipe welder.
I am having a hard time finding owners of the cottage. I want to know if there are any heads up or bugs that they have found that needed to be worked out.....
This will be our 7th RV purchase....hopefully, the last!
thanks for any input.
SherryBee in AZ
sherrybinaz is offline   Reply With Quote