Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #121

We've just gone through our first season with our 2017. No major issues. One roll up shade wouldn't retract. One burner on the suburban stove top will only light with a Bic lighter. A few molding pieces are a bit loose. But as far as the overall build quality we're pretty happy with it. Quality seems to be decreasing over time. From our 2006 coaches 5er, our 2011 Grand Junction 5er, and now this. But this one is much better than the grand junction, although that one was overall good. A 5er in my view is built a bit stronger than a TT. It's meant for extended pulling down the road, so the frame and componentry is stronger. The cottage was designed to basically get pulled from the dealership to its site and stay there until it gets traded in. But you pay a hefty price for the 5er for that. You're paying for all the upgrades to a TT with the cottage. Double paned windows, dual ac, better skin, and upgraded living. The cottage is way quieter than any of the 3 5ers I've owned. But we're there every weekend in the summer, so for that, any trailer will be sufficient, really. In short, I'm really pleased with the cottage and overall, for a high end trailer I think it a good value. There is no higher line of a TT that I know of.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #122
Love Our 18 Cottage 40CCK

Just received our '18 40CCK Cottage From Jeff Couch RV Nation

Hi Folks,

We just received our custom ordered Cottage a few weeks ago. We ordered every option available; from Jeff Couch's RV nation in Ohio and it took 8 weeks total plus they delivered it. Including delivery we saved apprx. $15k. over any other dealer we could find in the USA. Quite frankly, many people worry about warranty coverage when buying out of state (in my case I had no choice anyways as there are no Dealers here); however I have had no issues getting Forest River to assist me in getting a few minor warranty issues done here. Many people have differing opinions about the dealer we bought from; however we have really had no issues of any importance to report negatively about them - just don't expect warm & fuzzy hand holding treatment. They take your custom order, you pay a $1k. deposit, you wait around 8 weeks and they deliver to you for a fee. Delivery is not cheap however the savings on the coach itself will way more than pay for itself.

Things I have done so far to the Cottage:

a) Replaced 2nd A/C in bedroom with same model but with a heap pump (since they don't offer a heat pump option for the 2nd A/C option). You have to choose the 2nd A/C option however from the factory; otherwise they don't wire it in at all. So essentially your are buying the A/C unit twice. I got a great deal from RV Parts Country on Black Friday for a new unit for $499. WOW! Had it installed for another $250. by a certified Dometic installer. Will sell the brand new unit that was removed to recoup some of the cost.

b) Purchased Mor Ryde Step Above steps for the rear bedroom door (as the standard fold down steps on these units should be called "Death Steps").

The StepAboveâ„¢ is the Next Generation of RV Steps for Stable and Secure Footing.

c) Purchased Mor Ryde Removable Entry Steps THP54-034 for sliding glass door (same steps as Step above except that they mount to brackets on side of coach since you can't put a plate over sliding door track)

MORryde Entry Steps

d) Removed crappy Jensen 50" TV and replaced it with a Sony OLED 55" TV; which actually mounted right to their TV mount already installed. Just used a conversion plate for the different VESA pattern mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

e) Added another Stromberg Carlson handrail to rear entry door on left side of door - instead of purchasing the option Step Above handrail (kinda unsightly looking which is why I went with the match to the sliding door handrail instead.

f) Installed a keyless RV lock V4 on rear door. These things are AWESOME!

https://www.rvlock.com/collections/a...keypad-for-rvs

g) Added an RV battery bracket & lock - so as to prevent battery theft.

12 Volt Battery Bracket

h) Put shelving inside of stupid kitchen coat closet; as there's no room in there for jackets.

i) Removed Dining Table & Chairs (way too cramped for the two of us); and instead installed an IKEA Bamboo Drop Leaf Table. It fits perfectly and we brought in a couple of swivel IKEA office chairs to match. For our life this works much better; as it allows us to work and eat without having the 4 chair and the center pole under the dining table in our way.

IKEA PS 2012 Drop-leaf table - IKEA
LÅNGFJÄLL Swivel chair - Gunnared dark gray, black - IKEA

j) Installed a Polk Audio MagniFI Max SR surround sound system with wireless subwoofer and rear speakers (these aren't even out yet but we have a connection to get one sooner than the release date in December).

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimaxsr

k) Installed (8) Eaz-Lift 48860 Telescopic Jacks in order to better support the trailer in windy areas.

l) Installed a very cool wireless security alarm system called a GE Simon XT System with wireless color touchscreen keypads. This is an awesome setup that is no longer made but people on eBay sell brand new kits for cheap $.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Interlo...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interlogix-...72.m2749.l2649

m) replaced standard showerhead with a way better one we have used for years from KES. It's a KES LP501B.

More MODS and updates to follow...Just want everyone to know that doing upgrades on these Cottages is both super fun and relatively easy!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #123

We too purchased our Cottage from Jeff Couch's RV Nation. Did it all on line and just drove up for the best walk through of any RV we've purchased. We also got it fully optioned but will be doing some of those upgrades that Justinkas installed. It is all about making the unit more functional. We did choose to build a wooden landing for the sliding glass doors with double handrails as we are both 75 and safety is a priority. We had a bad latch on the dishwasher. Jeff Couch sent us an entire new dishwasher which was damaged in shipping. I just switched the doors and returned the damaged one with the bad latch. Dishwasher is fine now. Again, thanks Justinkas for the links to all those upgrades. Some are over my head but I will definitely be installing a lot of them.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #124

Great review!!..and you got me looking at a few of your ideas...thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #125

Man, you guys have done alot! I'm replacing the door handle woth the rv locks v3. I heard comments that the integrated keypad gets moisture in it, so I decided to mount the keypad next to the door, and then get basically an outdoor outlet cover to put over it to weather protect it. Here in Minnesota we'd have way more problems with that than in say AZ.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #126

2018 Cottage 40CCK Dishwasher Sounds Strange?

Does anyone's dishwasher in an 2018 Cottage sound very strange, loud high pitch whines etc?

It's one thing that makes us feel like it's going to crap out; and it's brand new.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #127

mods

really nice list of changes (with the helpful link) made to your cottage.
I was curious about the tv change.
my space is about 53" diagonal and have a 52" Jensen. Considering an upgrade to a 50-55" smart tv.
since mine is a 2015 the tv hole maybe smaller, since the area changes were made adding the pantry--change of doors...

oh and where did you place the additional jacks?

What is the diagonal dimension of the space your Now 55" tv fits?
Gary

Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #128

Thank you for the reply. There is a 2014 for sale here. I'll have to check it out.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinvegas View Post
Does anyone's dishwasher in an 2018 Cottage sound very strange, loud high pitch whines etc?

It's one thing that makes us feel like it's going to crap out; and it's brand new.

Thanks in advance!
Have you run the dishwasher w/o dishes in it? It is such a small area that it wouldn't take much to have something touching something else and causing a squeel. Mine sounds normal.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #130

TV Cabinet Dimensions: 54 3/4 wide x 31 3/4 tall (There's a shelf running across the top in the new models that would prohibit going any taller).

This is the TV Model in the 55" version that I installed onto Forest River's existing mount:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a1e-series

Here's a photo of how close everything fits - pretty much perfectly centered!

My sound bar sits below the TV but is not shown in this picture.

Moving Forward I will post any requested photos of my upgrades in this gallery view for convenience

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...BgUnq4xnhHUlIe

Tags
cedar creek, check