Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #1

cedar creek silverback 31IK towing

let us know how do you like pulling the 31IK with the 2500? we have a 2016 F250 Lariat 6.7 4X4 Crew Cab, 20" wheels and really like the floorplan of the 20419 31IK we recently looked at - thanks in advance for everyone's views and comments.

dwbjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

Hi,

Four years and many, many thousands of miles towing my 33RL with a K2500 Duramax.

I don't have a levelling system or generator, which keeps my baseline weight down a bit, and do watch my overall weight carefully to stay under the load limits.

Others' experience may vary, but mine has been quite good.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

cedar creek silverback 31IK towing

Hey sorry if you took offense to my other post. I didnít mean to upset you in any way.

Have you got the payload ratings on your truck? There is an endless debate on this forum and many forums about 2500 trucks. I had a 2500 Dodge MegCab in 2008 with a payload of about 1600 lbs per the sticker which was just ridiculous for that truck.

So in my opinion, like the previous poster, I think you are fine. Look at the rear axle load and thatís probably are 7000 for your axle, and the tire rating combined is usually slightly higher than the axle and make sure you stay under those ratings. You may have to add additional support to level your load or maybe not.

That FORD is a super capable truck and you, in my opinion, donít need to spend another $30000 to get the sticker right and a F350 on the hood. If you make changes, have someone capable accomplish the change, whether adding a leaf of airbags to the rear suspension for stability, but realize that extra support does not change your axle or tire ratings. Make sure the rig is level while towing, get a weight at a CAT scale of the truck and trailer together when you first buy the camper empty and a weight fully loaded and ready for a long trip.

You will no doubt exceed the GVWR of the truck because it is artificially low for the 2500. But that trailer, like my 34ik, is in the sweet spot for your truck. Now some folks are going to tell me Iím full of malarkey, and my momma tells me that I was born full of malarkey, so they might be right thatís why I say in my opinion. Listen to all this good advice and form your own opinion and then you can write these dang notes instead of me when you choose and weíd get to hear your opinion instead of my malarkey. Peace.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #4

not a problem. thanks for your views as well. this truck's door pillar sticker says the combined weight of cargo and occupants should ever exceed 2079lbs. however with a 10k rating and rear gawr of 6100lbs. I think we should be fine. Besides, it is difficult to believe it can't carry more weight, I've read many posts here and elsewhere of 3/4 truck pulling similar weights with no issues. I plan to weigh at cat scales to get real weight of truck and axles but I would guess curb of 7k from the 10k, and with plans to add a b&w turnover ball with companion hitch and air bags, add some Royal Purple differential fluid for added protection, we probably still have about 2500lbs for pin weight left and probably will be bolw that as well so, we just go on down the road. As it is. we cant go the huge extra dollars for a 1 ton. So with that, just wife and I, doubtful we will ever have the 31IK gawr of somewhere around 14k maxed out. never gonna be in a hurry to be anywhere. enjoy
Old 05-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbjkb View Post
not a problem. thanks for your views as well. this truck's door pillar sticker says the combined weight of cargo and occupants should ever exceed 2079lbs. however with a 10k rating and rear gawr of 6100lbs. I think we should be fine. Besides, it is difficult to believe it can't carry more weight, I've read many posts here and elsewhere of 3/4 truck pulling similar weights with no issues. I plan to weigh at cat scales to get real weight of truck and axles but I would guess curb of 7k from the 10k, and with plans to add a b&w turnover ball with companion hitch and air bags, add some Royal Purple differential fluid for added protection, we probably still have about 2500lbs for pin weight left and probably will be bolw that as well so, we just go on down the road. As it is. we cant go the huge extra dollars for a 1 ton. So with that, just wife and I, doubtful we will ever have the 31IK gawr of somewhere around 14k maxed out. never gonna be in a hurry to be anywhere. enjoy
We have a 2500 HD duramax with air bags, our 2019 36ck2 has a pin weight of about +- 50lb, 2700 lbs. We have had no problem pulling, stopping or wind blowing us around when towing . I do have the Andersen hitch and love it, I did a scale reading of the pin on the truck at the hitch using a shurline scale. The truck only squatted about 2" before adding air to the bags. I run with about 60lb in the bags we have towed this set up for over 11,000 miles. I will up the tires for a bit more load capacity this summer, 20"wheels.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbjkb View Post
...with plans to add a b&w turnover ball with companion hitch and air bags...
My 2015 GMC 2500 has a factory turn-over ball to which I mated an Andersen Ultimate II aluminum hitch. I too was concerned with overloading the truck's pin weight. For me, the Andersen's 32 pound weight vs. the traditional 5er hitches at 200+ pounds just made it a no brainer. My 5er has the MorRyde Rubber Pin Box (RPB) and that combination has been a dream to tow with. Since 2016 we've towed a little over 30,000 miles with no issues.

My truck's available cargo weight after passengers and adding a cover and side steps is 2,512# and I am below that about 100# give or take if we take my bicycle with us.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; 4-Fold Tonneau; 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox & CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; Andersen UltimateII Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball; LCI Ground Control3 4pt+2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; King Dishtailgater; 10ft. Portabote w/5hp Outboard; Dual A/C; Furrion48 Rearcam; Champion 3100 Inverter w/DIY Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Silverback 31K

We have pulled a 29RE Silverback (2013) 12,000 miles with a Duramax 2500. No problems, even in the mountains.
lupie989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #8

2015 33rl. 2008 Dodge, quad cab, short bed; 6.7 turbo D.
X country and all between many miles. Love this set up.
Unfortunately our adult son had a stroke and selling out. Listing on National RV Trader site next week.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #9

so sorry to hear that. god be with you all

Tags
cedar creek, towing