Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4

Hi,

Currently we are trading our toy Hauler in on a 2014 Silverback 35QB4, just wanting to know of anyones opinion of this model who has one....

After going thru it with fine tooth comb, seems like these are one of the ones with better suspension, tires and insulation - along with some other areas that seem a lot more quality over the trailers we have owned in past....

this is going to be the longest I have ever owned. 39' 11" - so any info on issues would help....

We are using a 2010 ram 3500 dually long haul to pull it.....

Thanks
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

Well, bought it....going to find if their suspension is all it's cracked up to be....
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

Good luck with it. Hope for many happy trips
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Thanks, I'm just looking forward to the extra moving room.......was getting tried of one person moving so another could go by and swapping positions in the toy hauler....lol...lol...wasn't bad on most days but those rainy days with four or six people was starting to wear....LOL...
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #5

Hear that. We just started out as a family and went to the freedom express 320bhds. 3 slides 32 ft of room. Happy with it every day since I'm 6 ft 3 280 my wife is almost 6 ft and two kids 11 and 5. Enough room for all of us without having to move for each other.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

We've owned one 7 plus months now. Everybody has their opinion of them. Mine is not the highest. It's a good fiver no doubt, but way too much laminate / MDF in there for me. Wish they'd at least put solid wood cabinet faces along with the doors. Think the CC has that. We've had a lot of issues, but only a few directly related to CC. Front cap cracks, 3 times, and saturated bedroom slide out floor that had to be replaced since CC decided they didn't need sealer behind the outer T-molding at the bottom. Beware, our dealer found several of the Silverbacks on their lot with the same T-molding not sealed. You'd never know it's rotting your floor unless you're like me and take things apart at random. Other than that, just several plumbing leaks, awning motor failure, loose wire connections, a few LED light failures, master bed frame falling apart etc. As for insulation, in the heat of the summer, both AC's will run all day every day to keep up. Really needs a third in the bunk house. Even with a few AC mods, we can only maintain 74 degrees in the living room and bunk room, which is fine for some. CC decided to only put 2 vents in the living room, so we'll be adding 2 more. Feel free to look at my photo album for a few of the mods we've done to this one. More to be posted in the next several months as I rebuild / replace several items, and have time to post.

They are good for the money, but no better than a lot of fifth wheels in a similar price range. Some have had good luck with them, we just haven't. Think our's was one of those friday or monday units.

Too bad you're already in a deal as I'd be happy to sell you one that's already had most of the bugs worked out of it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #7

Thanks, Wish we would have known, I like to get stuff broke in.....like you said, bugs worked out......we traded off our toy hauler.....it was fairly good and inexpensive, but no room and seemed like every time out we had to fix something....was designed to do what is was designed to do........

Hoping we got a tuesday model...lol..

thanks again, we are picking up tomorrow, so I am going to stop by today and ask dealer to check out some of the areas you mentioned....
Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Hopefully yours will be fine. We just have had bad luck. First 4 RV's we had were pretty much flawless. Most recent 3 were progressively worse and worse. You can't really go by my experience, comments, or other's comments. Each unit can vary. You just never know what you're going to get in today's RV world. Before we bought our Tiffin Class A, and Forester Class C, you couldn't find very many bad comments at all. Lots of praise on both of those units. Then we get ours, and find quite the contrary.

Just go into it expecting the worst, hoping for the best, and be pleasantly surprised when all works out fine. I hope I didn't create any worry. Our experience just hasn't been good. You're going into it with experience, so know what to look for. So, you're a step ahead of some that expect perfection. Funny you mentioned fixing stuff every time you had the old one out. Ours, 1 problem a week on average so far, but it seems to be slowing down. Last 3 weeks, awning motor, outdoor fridge access door leaking at the bottom joints, kitchen faucet, and cracked glide under one of the bunk slide outs. Only one of those being a CC caused problem. Please check your outdoor fridge access door. At the bottom left / bottom right, there are joints in the door frame. These are not sealed. I didn't notice it until after a heavy rain, but water was seeping in these small cracks, and soaked the wall board and some of the floor. Sealed those joints, and no more water problems there.

One mod I think everybody should do on the Silverback, is add an access panel behind the shower faucet, on the bedroom wall. There is no way to get to it otherwise. I found this leak when water was running down to the basement on the pex lines. To this day, I inspect every water line I can access or see, every day. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

I appriecate the advise.....you didnt create any worry.....we learn from others adventures....ur info is going to help me head off a few things.....

I always go into to things expecting it to blow up....lol...that's the way it is in oilfield...lol...

plus I am on of those that is constantly looking at things, i.e. greasing bearings before we leave going and coming....monitoring everything...keeping needless parts, till they are needed on road....lol...lol..
in the end they are still just a smaller version of a single wide trailer.......had some days in those...

I figure RVs are like anything else, sometimes a good one, sometimes a bad....like you said what day of the week and who was on or off shift when it was put together.......lol

so in the end, I like hearing the good and bad on everything....leads to preparedness.....
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Sure enough. I'm assuming you're an oilfield hand as well by the comment. I'm offshore at GC 112 as we speak, or post. 19 years and counting.

Keep us posted as you get the new one broke in.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #11

I'm Hydraulic dude on DODI - Ocean Courage......heading out next unfortunately...wish they would just mail check to house.....lol...lol....
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Plain Old Member

I used to work for DODI until 98 I think. King, Valiant, Victory, and Rover. I've tried that approach on mailing the check to the house. It'd save them so much transportation cost and allow more bed space on the rig. They didn't go for it.

At least you got a new toy to look forward to when you get back.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #13

hear that, same arguements I used......I even offered to work two weeks on and take 6 off they wouldnt go for that either....

Tags
35qb4, cedar creek