Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Cedar Creek Silverback and Hathaway

I am considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Silverback or Hathaway and am interested in hearing from folks who own a Cedar Creek product. How is the quality, fit and finish of the Cedar Creek product? I like the fact that these are not laminated and have much more studding in the walls than a laminated product. They seem to be more of a high end fifth wheel but not in the ridiculous price range like a Mobile Suites or DRV. Couch's RV Nation seems to have the best price of all the dealers I've investigated. Any thoughts much appreciated.

PA-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-RV View Post
I am considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Silverback or Hathaway and am interested in hearing from folks who own a Cedar Creek product. How is the quality, fit and finish of the Cedar Creek product? I like the fact that these are not laminated and have much more studding in the walls than a laminated product. They seem to be more of a high end fifth wheel but not in the ridiculous price range like a Mobile Suites or DRV. Couch's RV Nation seems to have the best price of all the dealers I've investigated. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Love our 2015 Silverback 31RK .Bought thru Couches. Easy peasy.

ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

We currently have a 2016 Silverback 33IK and really like it. It has had what I call normal issues and some not normal. The not normals were nothing Forest river could have controlled or quality checked. The refrigerator developed a bad cooling unit, was replaced under warranty, recently had to replace a waste valve and two cables. The normals are little things like loose screws, excessive dust, debris from construction, loose trim, etc.

My wife and I looked at a Hathaway edition and she has set her mind that it will be our next unit, in a few more years. I just keep saying yep ok, but is was super nice.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

We have a 2014 Cedar Creek 32RL, we have had some trouble with the Creek but the factory has stood behind us. We love our Cedar Creek. Both front and rear caps faded and both were replaced under warranty. The front cap faded again but the factory is paying to have that cap repainted. As you can see the factory has been good to us plus more work was done on camper after the warranty was well past, just like the paint job. If you ever need any work done in the camper after warranty then check out Amish Family RV. Thatís all they work on is Cedar Creek products
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

After we ordered out Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RE they discontinued the model before delivery.

We bought at Couches RV. Great service. No BS.

WE hit a major pothole and the trim above the closet in the bedroom fell down. Easy fix.

The 2 mounts on the big screen tv also broke. My daughter and I repaired that as well. Wood and glued a new piece on the tv.

Otherwise the unit has been super. We drove about 7,000 mile last year. about 9 weeks.

One of the wheels is making a clicking sound. Will take it back to the dealer soon. No big deal.

We thought the CC line in general had good bang for the buck.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Picked up our new 2019.5 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK in early Nov from Couch RV Nation in Hamilton, Ohio and drove it back home to near Augusta, Georgia. Very pleased with dealer, fit, function and quality of unit in general. We special ordered from factory and it was received as ordered. Had one problem on the trip home, when I put my tow vehicle in reverse at a Cracker Barrel the trailer brakes locked up. I disconnected 7 pin connector to back up, parked the unit and reconnected when I left. Fortunately I have seen this problem before when 7 pin connector yellow backup light wire was mistakenly connected with the blue brake wire on the trailer. After getting home, the next day I looked in the junction box behind the king pin and confirmed this was the case, easy fix just removed the yellow backup wire. Next problem encountered also minor, the water pump was not working, troubleshooting found a 1 amp fuse in the negative wire leading from the motor (blown of course since it is a 7.5 amp motor), installed a 10 amp fuse and pumped worked as expected. I have now checked out all systems and camped for 4 nights @ Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC. We are very pleased with the Silverback 33IK, biggest plus for the Hathaway in my opinion would be the 7000# axles vs 6000# on the Silverback. Buy what you want, I don't think you would be displeased with either model.
tmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #7

Our experience was very similar to tmims above, except that we picked up our Silverback 33IK from Couch in mid October. Had no problems towing it back to Georgia, and the only problem I've found so far is that one of the latches on the battery compartment door does not engage. We have an appointment with Amish Family RV in May in conjunction with a trip to visit Michigan. Will get that problem fixed then as well as have Orvan give the trailer a good going over while still under warranty.

If I had more truck, we likely would have bought a Hathaway model for the larger bathroom and stronger axles. However, we have been quite happy with the Silverback and would also recommend Couch RV Nation.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #8

We've got a 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 Hathaway Edition and we love it. It's great for a couple, but not so good for more than that. We've had a couple minor issues, but all have been fixed under warranty.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-RV View Post

I am considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Silverback or Hathaway and am interested in hearing from folks who own a Cedar Creek product

They seem to be more of a high end fifth wheel but not in the ridiculous price range like a Mobile Suites or DRV.
There is a reason Mobile Suites and DRV are more expensive...

They are actually made for full-time living more so than their less expensive counterparts that claim 'full-time compatible'.

I don't think I would call that "ridiculous".
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

We have a 2011 Silverback 29rl. We bought it used so if it had any problems they were taken care of back then. The unit came loaded generator, satellite, fireplace, ext. We love it and it has no problems at all.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
There is a reason Mobile Suites and DRV are more expensive...

They are actually made for full-time living more so than their less expensive counterparts that claim 'full-time compatible'.

I don't think I would call that "ridiculous".
Add Heartland Landmark. They are Full Time rated with a slight increase in price over Riverstone or CC trailers.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #12

I would also suggest you check out the River Stone line, they are built like the Cedar Creek but do come with more standard features plus their build time is a bit longer then most which I would hope equals a better cared for build
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Global Nomad

Cedar Creek, Hathaway

I went from 30 years of tent camping to my first RV 4 years ago to go full timing. We bought the 2016 36CKTS, Cedar Creek Hathaway. It must have been built on a Wednesday, as we have had very few problems.
We have pulled it for over 36,000 miles. Very comfortable for myself and wife. King size bed, residential refrigerator, large screen TV (with viewing lazy boys opposite TV). Deal breaker for us were TV's where you had to turn your head 90 degrees to watch. 2 Air Conditioners.
As we said, we live in it full time. Have been to 37 states, including Alaska. Comes with "Arctic Package". We have been in temperatures down to 7 degrees with no problems. (We try to go with the 40/80 rule: Don't want to be where it is less than 40 degrees or more than 80). Since we live in it full time, we don't winterize.

Highly recommend Hathaway.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #14

So, we have owned BOTH - kept our 2009 Silverback for 10 years and traded it in June at Couch's, for our 2019 Hathaway. We'd buy again from Couch's and Brian. WE bought another CC because the CC folks were fantastic in repairing our Silverback's structure failure, which was due to a design flaw with the wide body models. They covered everything - which at that time our Silverback was 7 yrs old. They even fixed a few things not related to the structure issues.....when finished, it was better than new. Denise told us she wanted us to have a good trade-in.

We love the floor plan of our 2019...being 10 years newer, it has many more bells & whistles than our 2009....besides, we knew what additional features we wanted...and we now tow with a dually.

I had Performance Trailer Braking add disk brakes after it was a few months old...still haven't really had a chance to test them out.

We hope to get 10 good years out of this trailer too.
It really helped being members of the Cedar Creek RV Owners Club and knowing about Orvan Fry.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #15

We have a 2015 Cedar Creek 31RK Silverback and we love it. Bought it new from Redwood Empire RV sales. Great people to deal with.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #16

Our Hathaway Edition is a lovely rig and has been good for extended living. The one downside is that we have not experienced the great factory service. Forest River has been extremely slow in sending parts. Often takes multiple tries to get the correct part. Very frustrating. But, just part of the lifestyle these days. Be sure to get good insurance so you will have temporary housing paid if your rig is damaged and in shop.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #17

BUYING CEDAr creek

I spent 3-4 years of going to all the RV shows stopping at all the dealers and researching.I found from my experiences that the CEDAR CREEK was what i was looking for in an RV,i too found that Couch offered the best prices around.Just make sure when you take delivery all is well they won't even remember who you are as soon as the tires roll over the curb.I ordered from the factory a 2018 forest river CC 38EL CHAMPAGNE ,IT came in as ordered except it was a 2019 better for me.We had it delivered to Mass it came here i needed the manufacture to fix several issues that were with the product not the dealership.FORESET RIVER stepped up and resolved any issues and i would recommend them as well as the dealer.
BOB3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #18

We like our 2014 32RL Cedar Creek and will probably keep it until we stop camping. I would probably trade for another Hathaway, I like the 36CK2. I can pull it with my SRW Silverado. The people at the Cedar Creek factory are great, Denise Davis is awesome, canít say enough good things about Denise
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #19

We bought a 2016 29IK Silverback because of the 3 Cedarcreek options it was the shortest. We have found that itís to long for what we do. I must say that there were very few problems that I couldnít take care of myself. Nothing has been what I would call a warranty issue.
curteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #20

We just purchased the Silverback 31iK and haven't taken it out yet. ..today icy rain and sleet in Pennsylvania!.... The big selling point for us was the quality of construction of the unit...far better than other 5th wheels we looked at. Although the couch pulls out into a queen size bed, there really isn't any privacy for anyone else staying with us so it's really geared toward a couples camper. We're still trying to figure out where the grands will sleep when they come. I love the bigger kitchen...bigger refrigerator..wish the oven was a little bigger,tho. Overall, we love the unit and can't wait to get out on the road with it! Hopefully, by next month the weather will break and we'll get a chance to go to Gettysburg to try it out!

Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek