Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #21

Waterpur.com. filter KW1 is $30.00
I have used those filters for 7 rears on my other Forest river trailers and only change them once a year. When we were on the oil fields in south Texas those filters saved us because they catch everything from going into your fresh water system. I would never use anything else. Just my opinion.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
Waterpur.com. filter KW1 is $30.00
I have used those filters for 7 rears on my other Forest river trailers and only change them once a year. When we were on the oil fields in south Texas those filters saved us because they catch everything from going into your fresh water system. I would never use anything else. Just my opinion.
My problem was never with the filters - they worked great, even if they were a bit pricey. The way the filter housing was threaded made it a half day job to get it unscrewed in order to change the filter. Last time I went to do it, the housing cracked and I determined not to have that experience again. At some point I'll install another "whole house filter" that has FULL threads on the housing, which will make filter changes the five minute job it always should have been...... BTW - if you're considering installing a bypass, use the crimp-on clamps - the screw on hose clamps don't give you a tight enough seal
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Plague of NEW included items

Well, after all of the negative and re routing comments, once my final 3 filters I bought in Goshen are gone, I will be doing a take out. We lived comfortably for years with the blue, external, filters and NEVER any issues whatsoever. I bought a pack of filters at Goshen intending they would last me 1 year. We generally use our RV all winter, staying in warmer climates part of the time and back to freezing mountains. Before leaving last warm overnight, I re winterize. I do not trust reuse of filters. We (formerly) simply used campground water for showers and toilet and bottled water for cooking, personal hygiene and drinking. Never had any health issues related to "bad water" .
Looks like I am going to remove that included water filter system. I, like others have stated, am more concerned with a seal failure as a result of freeze weakness and water pouring out undetected. Mine, like many, is fortunately located above the cable intake port in the trough in the bay area. Water would not cause any damage. But WHY chance it.
I appreciate all of the tips received from experience and once again, it proves why the forum of like minded people has value.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #24

We replace the filter annually. Lazy Days had them and sold them with a big discount. You should release any water pressure in the system before trying to unscrew the filter.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #25

Replaced mine with this,one, hung in same exact location (2013 Trilogy fiver):

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-2...ng-bracket.asp

Note, this one is also 1/2 inch.

With filter, about the same cost as one K1 replacement filter. The Pentek has much better water flow, for better water pressure...using same micron level filter.

The blue torpedo filters don't remove as much or improve water taste. More importantly, they restrict water flow...reducing pressure.

We liked it so much in our fifth wheel, I bought a second one and mounted it to a portable platform for our Class C.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You can also pick up good filters @ Lowes, 2/$9 that work great.
Thanks OC! Happen to have a Lowes not 3 miles from the house
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #27

Just to check. Old coot, are you getting a replacement cartridge at Lowe' s that fits in your canister? If so what brand and number works? Or did you change out the whole assembly?
2 for the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 for the road View Post
Just to check. Old coot, are you getting a replacement cartridge at Lowe' s that fits in your canister? If so what brand and number works? Or did you change out the whole assembly?
I bought Whirlpool 149010 Standard Capacity Replacement Filters at Lowes in Kissimmee, FL for $9. I just checked with Lowes and it says it is no longer available online. So, I must have gotten one of the last.
Amazon has the 2 pk for $19 and Home depot has a Filtrete 2 pk for $9. The packages say they filter the same. They fit the factory container.

So, you will have to do some research and reach your own conclusion. The Whirlpool sure works good for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirlpool 149010 filter.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	70719  
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #29

Thanks

Quote:
I bought Whirlpool 149010 Standard Capacity Replacement Filters at Lowes in Kissimmee, FL for $9. I just checked with Lowes and it says it is no longer available online. So, I must have gotten one of the last.
Amazon has the 2 pk for $19 and Home depot has a Filtrete 2 pk for $9. The packages say they filter the same. They fit the factory container.

So, you will have to do some research and reach your own conclusion. The Whirlpool sure works good for us.
Thanks for the info. I'll be in a Home Depot latter today and see what I can find.
Thanks again.
2 for the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #30

Quote:

I tried a similar filter from HD... I think it was the GE brand and it didn't fit correctly. It seemed to be just a bit to tall and would not allow me to fully tighten the clear filter canister.

The factory KW1 filter has a male end on the top with an O ring that fits into the top of the filter housing.

Coot... Did your original filter have the male end? Or did it have female ends on the top and bottom as shown in your pics?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
...Coot... Did your original filter have the male end? Or did it have female ends on the top and bottom as shown in your pics?
Man, that was 3 yrs ago, I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. I don't know, but the Whirlpool I show seems to fit with no problem in the factory filter unit. I just bought 3 more Whirlpools on ebay, so that should finish us out. Just put a new one in and have 5 spares.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Man, that was 3 yrs ago, I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. I don't know, but the Whirlpool I show seems to fit with no problem in the factory filter unit. I just bought 3 more Whirlpools on ebay, so that should finish us out. Just put a new one in and have 5 spares.
Let me test your memory another way...

Is there a male end on your filter housing that the top of the Whirlpool filter fits into?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Let me test your memory another way...

Is there a male end on your filter housing that the top of the Whirlpool filter fits into?

I can't see it with a filter installed. All I know is the Whirlpools fit, so I would assume it has a male end on top and bottom as the filters fit just fine.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #34

Quote:
I can't see it with a filter installed. All I know is the Whirlpools fit, so I would assume it has a male end on top and bottom as the filters fit just fine.
You're probably right about there being a male end on the top of the housing and a male end at the bottom of the clear canister.

Sounds like you have a different system than what's on our CC and why I haven't been able to find a filter to replace the expensive KW1 filters.

On our system there is a female fitting on the top filter housing and a male end on the bottom of clear canister.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #35
Farm Living

Our Cedar Creek filter turned out to be the "weak link" in a three-day period of single digit temperatures. (Detailed post under "plumbing" thread.) The "customer" size and ridiculous price has made me plan to add a "standard" size filter in-line so I can easily (and cheaply) get replacement parts and filters from Lowe's or HD.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #36

It’s always going to be a weak link because of its location and how it hangs out there in their in space and is completely filled with water. I don’t think a new one can be justified with that reasoning however, the fact that the filters are overpriced, the canister is confusing to lock into place and that there is only one source to purchase these filters are dang good reasons to replace it!
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #37

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Quote:
I tried a similar filter from HD... I think it was the GE brand and it didn't fit correctly. It seemed to be just a bit to tall and would not allow me to fully tighten the clear filter canister.

The factory KW1 filter has a male end on the top with an O ring that fits into the top of the filter housing.

Coot... Did your original filter have the male end? Or did it have female ends on the top and bottom as shown in your pics?
I have the CC Silverback that takes the KW1 filter....nothing else will fit....I just ordered the KW1 off Ebay for $32.99, free shipping and, yes, it has the male end w/O-ring that you mentioned...it arrived yesterday and it fit....just ordered another for a backup.....when you remove the canister with the special wrench, be sure to turn off the water supply and open a faucet to relieve any pressure in the system....that canister will come off much easier....btw, the supplier on Ebay that I bought from was Hanna Trailer Supply.....there are other sources than Forest River if you look for them.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
I have the CC Silverback that takes the KW1 filter....nothing else will fit....I just ordered the KW1 off Ebay for $32.99, free shipping and, yes, it has the male end w/O-ring that you mentioned...it arrived yesterday and it fit....just ordered another for a backup.....when you remove the canister with the special wrench, be sure to turn off the water supply and open a faucet to relieve any pressure in the system....that canister will come off much easier....btw, the supplier on Ebay that I bought from was Hanna Trailer Supply.....there are other sources than Forest River if you look for them.

Or, replace it with this (link below), add bracket that fits perfectly where the KW1 is, add 3 or 4 great filters, all for less than the cost of a single KW1. It takes about 15 minutes to change out and will increase your water flow to at least 4 gallons a minute with a superior micron filter.

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp
Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #39

www.waterpur.com is the web address for the KW1 water filter and jar it fits into.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #40

From their website below. Note the lousy gallon per minute water flow. Also they don't provide the micron level of the filtration. I called Forest River, who will also ship one to you for $29.95 plus $10.00 shipping. They also told me that the filter is a 30 micron...not good filtering and yet it only puts out 2.5 gallons per minute.

KW1FLTR
KW1 Clear Water Filter

Used in FR1 Clear Water HOUSING
KW1 is a WQA Gold Seal Certified Product
  • <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Rated for 10,000 gallons of chlorine reduction for one year <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Reduces Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">2.5 GPM flow rate <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Unique o-ring seal eliminates bypass
  • Initial pressure drop of only 2.6 psi where others have pressure drops of 10 psi or more

Tags
cedar creek, water, water filter