Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
...Coot... Did your original filter have the male end? Or did it have female ends on the top and bottom as shown in your pics?
Man, that was 3 yrs ago, I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. I don't know, but the Whirlpool I show seems to fit with no problem in the factory filter unit. I just bought 3 more Whirlpools on ebay, so that should finish us out. Just put a new one in and have 5 spares.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Man, that was 3 yrs ago, I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. I don't know, but the Whirlpool I show seems to fit with no problem in the factory filter unit. I just bought 3 more Whirlpools on ebay, so that should finish us out. Just put a new one in and have 5 spares.
Let me test your memory another way...

Is there a male end on your filter housing that the top of the Whirlpool filter fits into?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Let me test your memory another way...

Is there a male end on your filter housing that the top of the Whirlpool filter fits into?

I can't see it with a filter installed. All I know is the Whirlpools fit, so I would assume it has a male end on top and bottom as the filters fit just fine.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I can't see it with a filter installed. All I know is the Whirlpools fit, so I would assume it has a male end on top and bottom as the filters fit just fine.
You're probably right about there being a male end on the top of the housing and a male end at the bottom of the clear canister.

Sounds like you have a different system than what's on our CC and why I haven't been able to find a filter to replace the expensive KW1 filters.

On our system there is a female fitting on the top filter housing and a male end on the bottom of clear canister.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #35

Our Cedar Creek filter turned out to be the "weak link" in a three-day period of single digit temperatures. (Detailed post under "plumbing" thread.) The "customer" size and ridiculous price has made me plan to add a "standard" size filter in-line so I can easily (and cheaply) get replacement parts and filters from Lowe's or HD.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #36

Itís always going to be a weak link because of its location and how it hangs out there in their in space and is completely filled with water. I donít think a new one can be justified with that reasoning however, the fact that the filters are overpriced, the canister is confusing to lock into place and that there is only one source to purchase these filters are dang good reasons to replace it!
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #37

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Quote:
I tried a similar filter from HD... I think it was the GE brand and it didn't fit correctly. It seemed to be just a bit to tall and would not allow me to fully tighten the clear filter canister.

The factory KW1 filter has a male end on the top with an O ring that fits into the top of the filter housing.

Coot... Did your original filter have the male end? Or did it have female ends on the top and bottom as shown in your pics?
I have the CC Silverback that takes the KW1 filter....nothing else will fit....I just ordered the KW1 off Ebay for $32.99, free shipping and, yes, it has the male end w/O-ring that you mentioned...it arrived yesterday and it fit....just ordered another for a backup.....when you remove the canister with the special wrench, be sure to turn off the water supply and open a faucet to relieve any pressure in the system....that canister will come off much easier....btw, the supplier on Ebay that I bought from was Hanna Trailer Supply.....there are other sources than Forest River if you look for them.
2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.; 2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.; 2016 - 44 nights/6106 mi.
2017-59 nights/5901 mi.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
I have the CC Silverback that takes the KW1 filter....nothing else will fit....I just ordered the KW1 off Ebay for $32.99, free shipping and, yes, it has the male end w/O-ring that you mentioned...it arrived yesterday and it fit....just ordered another for a backup.....when you remove the canister with the special wrench, be sure to turn off the water supply and open a faucet to relieve any pressure in the system....that canister will come off much easier....btw, the supplier on Ebay that I bought from was Hanna Trailer Supply.....there are other sources than Forest River if you look for them.

Or, replace it with this (link below), add bracket that fits perfectly where the KW1 is, add 3 or 4 great filters, all for less than the cost of a single KW1. It takes about 15 minutes to change out and will increase your water flow to at least 4 gallons a minute with a superior micron filter.

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #39

www.waterpur.com is the web address for the KW1 water filter and jar it fits into.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #40

From their website below. Note the lousy gallon per minute water flow. Also they don't provide the micron level of the filtration. I called Forest River, who will also ship one to you for $29.95 plus $10.00 shipping. They also told me that the filter is a 30 micron...not good filtering and yet it only puts out 2.5 gallons per minute.

KW1FLTR
KW1 Clear Water Filter

Used in FR1 Clear Water HOUSING
KW1 is a WQA Gold Seal Certified Product
  • <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Rated for 10,000 gallons of chlorine reduction for one year <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Reduces Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">2.5 GPM flow rate <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Unique o-ring seal eliminates bypass
  • Initial pressure drop of only 2.6 psi where others have pressure drops of 10 psi or more

Tags
cedar creek, water, water filter