Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Ceder Creek 34RLSA

We are looking at the Ceder Creek 34RLSA. If any of you own one please give me your honest opinion on the product and what you Tow Vehicle is for this unit.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

I have had my 2013 34 RLSA since October and I absolutely love it. We added most of the options that were available at the time. If the floorplan works for you I would highly suggest it. I tow mine with a 2004.5 chevy 2500 HD diesel, it pulls it fine and I dont have any concerns about it. I did add airbags but thats it.
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks, I just purchased a Dodge Ram 2500 I6 two wheel drive with the 3.73 gear and was not sure about the weight of that unit.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Cool Really?

Dry Hitch Weight2,085 lbs Dry Ship Weight11,569 lbs GVWR14,085 lbs Cargo Carrying Capacity2,516 lbs Exterior Length36 ft. 8 in. Exterior Height12 ft. 11 in. Exterior Width96 in. Fresh Water Capacity66 Gal Gray Water Capacity80 Gal Black Water Capacity40 Gal Awning Size16 ft.

With a 2004 Chevy 2500HD? You are AT LEAST 2000 Lbs over the Max towing capacity. AND I bet most other capacities also.

Will it do it YES, I'm sure it will. Will you be legal, no you won't.

I just traded in my 2008 Lakota 33SKQ (14K), which is VERY similar to the Cedar Creek and bought a VCross 275VRL which is at 10K GVWR. My 2007 Chevy 2500HD Diesel is rated at 12K tow capacity. My truck is VERY VERY happy, although I towed the big rig for 4 years with no apparent problem. I was always a little worried tho, about being above capacity. The newer Chevy's have a higher tow capacity, so are not a problem on paper at least.

Another thing that annoyed me about the center island units is that they make the unit unaccessible in the kitchen and rear area with the slides folded in. SO that means that you HAVE to run the kitchen slide OUT just to load up the camper or anytime you want to do anything except go to the head. My Lakota, at least gave me access to the Refrigerator with the slides in, but not anything else in the rear of the unit.

My 2 cents, not worth much, I know.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

You should be fine. I have a 95 dodge 2500 also 5.9 cummins and 410000 miles that I would use to pull this trailer if I had to. The 3\4 ton truck has same engine, transmission and rear end that the one ton has and by adding airbags you will be sitting level.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #6

Nope, garbonz, not over the max towing on my truck. It is diesel max towing of a fifth wheel is 15,500 lbs. Checked and double checked. The 12000 lbs is for a bumper pull trailer.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Dodge Ram 2500 I6 diesel - straight out of the owners manual for a two wheel drive Towing: 15,450 lbs (7008 kg) - max Payload: 2,580 lbs (1170 kg) - max...I think I'm ok on this unit
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

The max pulled with my 95 cummins was 34, 000 lbs on the scale about 2 months ago. I only went about 30 miles with the load but she held about 60 mph without a problem but that was heavy. 14, 000 lbs for a trailer is easily within the capabilities of your truck in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
Dodge Ram 2500 I6 diesel - straight out of the owners manual for a two wheel drive Towing: 15,450 lbs (7008 kg) - max Payload: 2,580 lbs (1170 kg) - max...I think I'm ok on this unit
Can your truck pull it? Likely. Will it possibly be overloaded? Let's find out...

Your maximum payload of 2,580 assumes a few things:
- a 150 lb. driver and no other passengers
- a full tank of fuel

It's possibly just a base truck, possibly in your trim range. Unless it's handwritten or typed in after the fact, the manual is for that model and unlikely for your actual vehicle. For your actual vehicle, there may be a sticker on the door jamb that tells you what your actual payload is. Mine looks like this:

This 2,580 does not include anything that was added onto the truck aftermarket (like your fifth wheel hitch, running boards, bed liner, bed rug, steps, front hitches, toolboxes, etc) nor does it include whatever you weigh over 150 pounds or any passengers, pets or things you carry in the truck (food, snacks, GPS, etc) or truck bed (firewood, generator, stinky slinky hose containers, extra tables, tools, etc). These things add up and you're likely at 2,000 pounds or less in actual payload.

Now, looking at the specs of the fifth wheel that you're consider:
Cedar Creek Website

Shows:
Dry Hitch Weight - 2,085 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight - 11,569 lbs.
GVWR - 14,085 lbs.

The dry hitch weight is approximately 18% of the unloaded vehicle weight (generally without batteries, propane or any fluids in the tanks/system). Going solely off of the dry hitch weight and the assumption that you have 500 pounds of miscellaneous stuff in the truck - you're at the truck's limit, if not slightly over.

Now, because no one hauls an empty camper, you're going to be somewhere between the unloaded vehicle weight (11,569) and the maximum gross vehicle weight (14,085). Given that same 18% hitch weight, you're looking at a a possible maximum of 2,535 pounds. Now, this can go up or down, depending on how much stuff you take, how you load (if you have heavy things in the front storage, your hitch weight could go up to 20% or higher (pushing your hitch weight up to 2,800 if you've maxed out the trailer's weight - unlikely, but only you can decide what you'll plan for).

All told - you have to decide what is right for you and your family. Some people know trucks and vehicles a whole lot better than I and can make assumptions based on that. For me, at the end of the day, I have to go solely based on the numbers. If it were me, I would pass on that truck and look bigger or consider a smaller camper.

But, if nothing else - you need to be educated about what these numbers mean. You can't go off of the comments of others that "I've done it forever and it's been OK" or "I've pulled a kajillion pounds and it was fine". You need to decide and choose.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
The max pulled with my 95 cummins was 34, 000 lbs on the scale about 2 months ago. I only went about 30 miles with the load but she held about 60 mph without a problem but that was heavy. 14, 000 lbs for a trailer is easily within the capabilities of your truck in my opinion.
But were you within all of the manufacturer's published specs for the truck? Or were you knowingly exceeding one or more of them?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

Op wanted an opinion, which I gave. I believe he will do what is best for him just as I am doing what I feel comfortable with and I am sure you are doing for yourself. I am not the weight police and who am I to judge what others do with what they have. I personally will not go buy a $60, 000 truck because of the beliefs or concerns of others no matter what is said. This is just my opinion if it is not agreed with that is fine but it works for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
Op wanted an opinion, which I gave. I believe he will do what is best for him just as I am doing what I feel comfortable with and I am sure you are doing for yourself. I am not the weight police and who am I to judge what others do with what they have. I personally will not go buy a $60, 000 truck because of the beliefs or concerns of others no matter what is said. This is just my opinion if it is not agreed with that is fine but it works for me.
I don't judge anyone nor do I think everyone needs a $60,000 truck. I don't feel like I'm the weight police either - I just like to make sure people are in a position to make an educated decision. Like I said, if you know the facts and are making an educated choice - far be it from me to impose my views.

I think the most helpful thing for your responses would be to acknowledge that the truck is or may likely be overloaded, but it should be fine because of "XYZ...". To simply say, "I do it all of the time" or even, "I've done more than that" doesn't help the uneducated posters who (I think) are asking because they want to learn. It was why I asked if you were within your manufacturer's constraints when you pulled 30,000 pounds - it's more information for the Op to make a decision on.

Take it or leave it, it's my $0.00 and a half.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Wink Well I'll be danged

Maybe I been reading the wrong line of the Trailer Life Towing guide. Nope, that's what it says... However, on another site it says:

the 2007 Silverado offers many segment-best capabilities, including 18,500-pound gross combined vehicle weight rating for vehicles with a gas V8 and a 13,000-pound conventional trailer weight rating enabled by a larger-capacity trailer hitch platform. Maximum towing capacity is 16,700 pounds, when equipped with a fifth-wheel hitch.

Guess I better get my old unit back.

Nah, it's really fun towing a lighter unit that is aerodynamic, and still has 95% of the room and features we need. Plus only 2 slides to go wrong. I always winced when that big heavy kitchen slide went groaning out.

Thanks for the correction, but I don't know what happened to the Trailer life guide, it is clearly a bit off, far as I can tell.

These rating are so complex that I can't imagine how the authorities could figure it out anyway...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

I copied and pated direct from the manufactures owners manual on my truck model Laramie:straight out of the owners manual for a two wheel drive Towing: 15,450 lbs (7008 kg) - max Payload: 2,580 lbs (1170 kg) - max...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #15

The 34, 000lbs was a one time thing that I dont want to repeat. I was just saying it can be done but everyone has to live with their own decisions and most people know the numbers before they ask, at least from my experience, and just want confirmation of what they already believe.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Denver, CO

I'll be danged ll

For my 2007 Chevy 2500HD ext cab std bed duramax the REAL numbers from the owners manual and side plate are:

Drummmm roll

Total payload capacity 2618 lbs
15,400 max tow weight
22,000 GCWR

SO in my case. I can tow it but probably not manage the payload weight.

200 lbs superglide
400 lbs passengers
2000 lbs hitch weight
Plus other stuff like fuel

Av8orLou Nope, garbonz, not over the max towing on my truck. It is diesel max towing of a fifth wheel is 15,500 lbs. Checked and double checked. The 12000 lbs is for a bumper pull trailer.

U are right on the capacity but maybe not payload. But who care. Just go and have fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #17

Thanks all for your comments and information. The Dodge Ram 2500 is my first 3/4 ton and my first diesel. I purchased it with the intention of upgrading from my TT to a fiver and the more I looked at the fivers we would like to purchase the more confusing the issues have become. As I have stated before on other post, even the manufacture information on weights and capabilities vary depending on the material. The owners manual is different from the online Dodge Ram site and the brochure have different information. Then there are the second and third parties ie trailer life and other magazines. I will try to stay within the manufactures recommendations and if something goes wrong, they have the deepest pockets....LOL
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
Thanks all for your comments and information. The Dodge Ram 2500 is my first 3/4 ton and my first diesel. I purchased it with the intention of upgrading from my TT to a fiver and the more I looked at the fivers we would like to purchase the more confusing the issues have become. As I have stated before on other post, even the manufacture information on weights and capabilities vary depending on the material. The owners manual is different from the online Dodge Ram site and the brochure have different information. Then there are the second and third parties ie trailer life and other magazines. I will try to stay within the manufactures recommendations and if something goes wrong, they have the deepest pockets....LOL
When I figured everything for my research - I went off of two things:
- the actual payload sticker for MY truck (as I showed above)
- the maximum (aka GVWR) of the trailer

I figured that I would never load the trailer to max, but knowing I had the safety margin comforted me. There's no question when you look at the gross weights for the trailers themselves. For me, I ignore the dry weights and the advertisements for how much it weighs.

Again, just more of my two cents.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
Denver, CO

I think that may be 4 cents. But who's counting. Whoops that's right, we are.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Word to wise: weight the dang thing to be sure, don't count on the sales rep (probably don't really know) & from FR the gross weight changed in the factory literature with no change to the chassis or suspension go figger that one out. If you stay with the TV tow specs and are within GCGW you should be fine, have ample power for giddy up & enough brakes to stop her when its time whoa boy!

For me it's a MorRyde IS w/ Kodiak Disc Brakes = more carry capacity w/ about 44 percent reduction is stopping distance at full GW. Better suspension, better ride, longer life for the trailer cause those roads are not getting better with their age!

Travel safe & enjoy the ride!