Ok we stopped in today and took a look at the new 38FL in person. I have to say when I walked in and looked at it I was like, I wouldn't buy it... It has lost some of the gloss that we like. Changes are always welcome but not sure I personally like all the changes. Here is what we did and didn't like...
Things we didn't like:
1. Desk is basically gone. Our flip down desk with draw has been replaced by a piece of counter top sitting on some legs. Where do I store my pens, tape, etc.
2. No border around the kitchen - We have a very nice decorative border around the back of the counter on the wall. The new rig has no border just a single colored wall paper and a small metallic back splash on the stove.
3. Changed the entertainment center area (I like a few of the changes) - Reduced the fireplace to a very small unit - put draws in where we have glass doors for the DVD/Blue Ray/Satellite and Stereo. They replaced the sound bar with 2 non-powered speakers and a regular 12 V RV radio instead of a car radio. I really like our fireplace looking like a full size fireplace unit, this new one is just way too small.
4. All of the door stops for the baggage/small fridge doors are stuck on with double sided sticky tape and not screwed into the unit. We had one that loosened up with the sticky tape AND screws. This new unit already had 2 missing - just the tape remains.
5. The floor vents have changed - so they are smaller openings.
6. The moved the thermostat into the hall way - we like ours in the kitchen by the hallway where they can not get hit but this was a minor issue.
7. No blue-ray/DVD player - now the dealer could have removed this for security but not sure. Also with no glass window to put it behind they added power outlets outside the top cabinets on either side of the TV and I think they expect the dvd/sat set top boxes to sit on this shelf??? All the antenna connectors are still in the lower cabinet.
8. Outside TV - Our rig has a 12 V TV in the bedroom mounted on a TULE mount that allows us to move it outside and mount on the wall between the outside speakers. There is a 12 Volt plug and antennae jack there. The new rig doesn't use TULE (I am pretty sure they are no longer available) mounts and so the Bedroom TV can not be moved outside (looked like it was permanently mounted). There is no 12 V outlet outside and just an antenna jack near the 110 plug near the steps.
Things we did like:
1. Thermostats for the Fantastic Fans have been upgraded with more controls to open/close/adjust the fan. We only have a basic thermostat to operate ours.
2. Day/Night Rolls shades instead of pleated shades.
3. The windows! Sliders have much better mechanisms to operate them and the other windows open top to bottom. Our windows only the bottom 1/4 or less open. For example, the window at the sink opens at the bottom with the hinge all the way at the top. Seems to me they open farther and let more air in this way.
4. Non-powered speakers - We are going to pull out the sound bar and put in speakers anyways so I do like this idea (just not changing the size of my fireplace)
5. They put the front TV raise button in the top cabinet where it is very easy to see it and use it instead of the lower glass faced cabinet where ours is... Thinking this might be an easy? mod to move that switch.
Walter & Donna
2011 CC LB RAM 3500 CTD 6.7L DRW
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL
2014 Days Camping: 35