Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Changes to 38FL

Looks like they have changed a little in the 38FL for the new model year.

1. Using the new roll up day/night shades.
2. Re-designed front entertainment center with smaller fireplace
3. Removed the tilt-down desk and replaced with a basic small counter
4. Added a splash shield behind the stove
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-601530548.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	40978   Click image for larger version

Name:	38fl_desk.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	40979   Click image for larger version

Name:	38fl_backsplach.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	40980  
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

This particular make and model are on my 'must have' wish list. I'm kicking myself now for not having purchased a 2012 model earlier this year for less than $60k (cnd). At the time I didn't have a truck and we had only just bought a brand new 8315BSS that we had used for two nights only before winterizing it.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

we have a new 2014 38FL and no back splash ,we have day and night shades, entertament center is different
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Ok we stopped in today and took a look at the new 38FL in person. I have to say when I walked in and looked at it I was like, I wouldn't buy it... It has lost some of the gloss that we like. Changes are always welcome but not sure I personally like all the changes. Here is what we did and didn't like...

Things we didn't like:
1. Desk is basically gone. Our flip down desk with draw has been replaced by a piece of counter top sitting on some legs. Where do I store my pens, tape, etc.

2. No border around the kitchen - We have a very nice decorative border around the back of the counter on the wall. The new rig has no border just a single colored wall paper and a small metallic back splash on the stove.

3. Changed the entertainment center area (I like a few of the changes) - Reduced the fireplace to a very small unit - put draws in where we have glass doors for the DVD/Blue Ray/Satellite and Stereo. They replaced the sound bar with 2 non-powered speakers and a regular 12 V RV radio instead of a car radio. I really like our fireplace looking like a full size fireplace unit, this new one is just way too small.

4. All of the door stops for the baggage/small fridge doors are stuck on with double sided sticky tape and not screwed into the unit. We had one that loosened up with the sticky tape AND screws. This new unit already had 2 missing - just the tape remains.

5. The floor vents have changed - so they are smaller openings.

6. The moved the thermostat into the hall way - we like ours in the kitchen by the hallway where they can not get hit but this was a minor issue.

7. No blue-ray/DVD player - now the dealer could have removed this for security but not sure. Also with no glass window to put it behind they added power outlets outside the top cabinets on either side of the TV and I think they expect the dvd/sat set top boxes to sit on this shelf??? All the antenna connectors are still in the lower cabinet.

8. Outside TV - Our rig has a 12 V TV in the bedroom mounted on a TULE mount that allows us to move it outside and mount on the wall between the outside speakers. There is a 12 Volt plug and antennae jack there. The new rig doesn't use TULE (I am pretty sure they are no longer available) mounts and so the Bedroom TV can not be moved outside (looked like it was permanently mounted). There is no 12 V outlet outside and just an antenna jack near the 110 plug near the steps.

Things we did like:
1. Thermostats for the Fantastic Fans have been upgraded with more controls to open/close/adjust the fan. We only have a basic thermostat to operate ours.

2. Day/Night Rolls shades instead of pleated shades.

3. The windows! Sliders have much better mechanisms to operate them and the other windows open top to bottom. Our windows only the bottom 1/4 or less open. For example, the window at the sink opens at the bottom with the hinge all the way at the top. Seems to me they open farther and let more air in this way.

4. Non-powered speakers - We are going to pull out the sound bar and put in speakers anyways so I do like this idea (just not changing the size of my fireplace)

5. They put the front TV raise button in the top cabinet where it is very easy to see it and use it instead of the lower glass faced cabinet where ours is... Thinking this might be an easy? mod to move that switch.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

Oh and they added this sticker to the baggage door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2268360684.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	41058  

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

we have some of the things you just mentioned . like some don't like others but on the whole we like it alot
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
I contacted Jeff Holmes in Topeka who in turn forwarded my message to Jeff Richardson in parts. I inquired about the new shades for my 2013 CKTS. Once I get his response I'll post that info for those interested.

Meanwhile, safe travels & enjoyable journeys!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Contacted Lippert and they are sending the label for the Level-Up system. Great aid for the DW or kids if I am not around.