Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #41

Trailer Aid worked like a charm for me. I also cut a 2x6 a little longer than the TrailerAid, and cut the ends at an angle. If the TrailerAid isn't high enough by itself to raise the damaged tire, I put the 2x6 under it. Glad I had it a few weeks ago for my first blow-out on the 5th wheel.
Rohdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #42

Friend borrowed mine to change tire!!

ttps://

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #43

I’ve used the leveling jacks multiple times. Be sure to get far enough off the road so you don’t get clipped. Purchase a battery operated impact gun, this will make things so much easier.
Don’t count on AAA they left us hanging one to many times. We dropped them!!!
Clcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #44

Always good to have a DIY plan I suppose, but I'm a vote for letting roadside assistance handle RV flats. I pay a few dollars extra on my insurance premium for that service anyway (and made sure that the policy would cover what my RV needs) and I'm not interested in getting nailed by some non-attentive interstate driver crashing into me.

I've used roadside twice, once for my 12-lug outer dually RV tire (of course I didn't even attempt that) and once for a tow dolly tire... which I tried myself first, until my metal 4-way lug wrench actually cracked and broke while I was trying to loosen a lug nut. The wait time was a bit long both times, but they got the job done and it didn't cost me a thing.

If you're not confident in what is packaged with your car insurance plan, I've heard nothing but good things about Coach-Net roadside plans.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #45
Texas Hunter

Leveling jacks work for me. I carry 2 short 4x4’s so I can get it up quicker.
Panamapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Whatever happened to pulling the non-flat tire onto blocks to raise the flat? Simple and safe.

Exactly. You all are putting way too much thought and effort into this.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #47

What a lot of poster to this thread do not realize since they do not own a Cedar Creek unit. Is that the level up system is a fast, easy and safe system to use when changing tires. So, I use the 6-point level up system to changes tires on my trailer.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
What a lot of poster to this thread do not realize since they do not own a Cedar Creek unit. Is that the level up system is a fast, easy and safe system to use when changing tires. So, I use the 6-point level up system to changes tires on my trailer.
We just took receipt of a new CC this weekend and my first task was to replace the China Bomb tires with Goodyear G614 tires. Sunday night I used the 6 point level up to lift all 4 tires off the ground and remove them. No issues whatsoever. This is awesome for the days of me having to use a jack and blocks are GONE!
jd4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #49

I believe you posted a pic of this before, with all four wheels off the ground (tires off)?
I agree, the Level-Up is the best option we have ever had. And I do use it to change tires, grease bearings, check brakes, etc.
But I only do it one side at a time. Why? Because when the axle is fully suspended on both sides, the shackel straps can flip from their normal position. Sometimes when you lower your RV back on its tires, they will flip back into their normal position, and sometimes not, and then the fun begins. I'm not that lucky, so that's why I do one side at a time
Actually, I find it best to lower the jacks on one side to just snug with the ground. Keeps the springs from compressing when the other side is lifted, making the lift needed, shorter. Then I put 3" of blocks under the jacks on the lifting side.
But, no matter how you use it, it's a great system!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We just took receipt of a new CC this weekend and my first task was to replace the China Bomb tires with Goodyear G614 tires. Sunday night I used the 6 point level up to lift all 4 tires off the ground and remove them. No issues whatsoever. This is awesome for the days of me having to use a jack and blocks are GONE!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I believe you posted a pic of this before, with all four wheels off the ground (tires off)?
I agree, the Level-Up is the best option we have ever had. And I do use it to change tires, grease bearings, check brakes, etc.
But I only do it one side at a time. Why? Because when the axle is fully suspended on both sides, the shackel straps can flip from their normal position. Sometimes when you lower your RV back on its tires, they will flip back into their normal position, and sometimes not, and then the fun begins. I'm not that lucky, so that's why I do one side at a time
Actually, I find it best to lower the jacks on one side to just snug with the ground. Keeps the springs from compressing when the other side is lifted, making the lift needed, shorter. Then I put 3" of blocks under the jacks on the lifting side.
But, no matter how you use it, it's a great system!!!!
I have read on several threads about the shackles flipping. Are you talking about the one in the middle between the two springs? Does anyone have a picture of this? I have raised one side or the other to the point where both wheels are off the ground so that is why I am concerned.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #51

Yep, the shackle plates are usually in the middle on both sides of the equalizer.
I've never had it happen when doing one side at a time.
It happens to me all the time when lifting both sides at the same time. And depending on the trailer, it can be a bear to reflip them correctly if they don't do it by themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I have read on several threads about the shackles flipping. Are you talking about the one in the middle between the two springs? Does anyone have a picture of this? I have raised one side or the other to the point where both wheels are off the ground so that is why I am concerned.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, wheel