Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #1

Changing a 5th wheel tire...

What is the best way to change a tire on a 5th wheel? I have a 2020 HATHAWAY 34IK and started thinking about how I would change a tire if it becomes damaged during travel. When I asked dealer if I needed to purchase a bottle jack, he stated that I should use the leveling system to raise the side needing a change. Is anyone using this approach?

I saw a device called a Trailer Aid which does not require a jack. Should I even attempt the change, but call road service instead? Thoughts please....

poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

I carry a bottle jack, simple and effective. Raise one wheel at a time via the leaf spring mounting plate. Now if you have a flat you might not be able to get the jack under the axle/plate. At that point you may have to raise the trailer via a Trailer Aid, leveling jacks or blocks under the other axle, but you'll have to raise it pretty far. A combination of blocks and a bottle jack can usually get you out of trouble.

but if you're not in a hurry AAA will work real easy!

nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbug054 View Post
What is the best way to change a tire on a 5th wheel? I have a 2020 HATHAWAY 34IK and started thinking about how I would change a tire if it becomes damaged during travel. When I asked dealer if I needed to purchase a bottle jack, he stated that I should use the leveling system to raise the side needing a change. Is anyone using this approach?

I saw a device called a Trailer Aid which does not require a jack. Should I even attempt the change, but call road service instead? Thoughts please....
X2: I have changed out two tires this way. One at the Frog rally with the help of a Cedar Creek Employee. I had a leaky rim that would not hold air, and Cedar Creek replace the tire and rim for me. The other time to fix a leaky valve stem on a different tire.

What I have down in the past is to make sure all of the slides are in and the opposite side wheels are blocked with wheel chocks. I then manually extend the side that needs the wheel changed, just enough to all allow the tire to clear the road surface.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

The leveling system should be able to be used. I worry about the suspension thingie getting flipped. I heard it's a bigger issue on triple axle rigs.

So the one day I did need to change a tire, I did it with a bottle jack:

Note, you shouldn't jack on this spot if you have torsion axles. I don't know what your Cedar Creek has.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Don't discount a bottle jack, they can help with projects.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I should probably think out my post before hitting that "post" button.

Anyway, I know I've had my tires dangle at a campsite before. I think we've stayed that way up to a week. We will put blocks down if we think it's going to happen to avoid it.

I also went to a dealership to look at a toy hauler once and all 3 tires on one side were off the ground. I'm sure it was that way for months.

SO- there you have it. Either works.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Chocked the opposite sides tires and used leveling jacks.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Best is subjective and what works for me, might not work for you.

Your physical abilities may play into what you can/can't do such as crawling under the R/V to use a bottle jack-vs- sliding something under an inflated tire.

Suspension plays a role too. Torsion axles react differently to things like the "Trailer Aid" than if the R/V has conventional spring axles.

With that said... I carry and use a bottle jack.

Just be sure it will go under wherever necessary to pick the axle when the tire is flat.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

Had to change my first flat ever on dual axel TT this month. Used a Anderson leveling ramp on the adjacent tire. Easier than any tire change I ever made on a passenger vehicle.

After realizing that I did not have an appropriate lug wrench and borrowing one from someone, the change took 10 minutes, no crawling under trailer... a breeze.

Did learn that I need to do a better job of checking air pressure on my spare!
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

When I broke a leaf spring I used the levelling system to raise the rig, and my bottle jack to stabilize the axle so it wasn't hanging by the brake line. And yes, I took that opportunity to get 4 new trailer tires installed while waiting on the replacement spring pack.

So I would not hesitate to use the levelling system to change a flat, but a bottle jack can come in handy too...
Old 05-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Yep, I use my 6-point level-up sysem to change tires and repack wheel bearings. No problem. I do use jack stands on the frame when working on the brakes/bearings at my home with both tires off on one side.
As long as you leave one side on the ground, you don't have to worry about the spring hangers flipping.
Lots of debate in other threads about doing this with the truck hitched/unhitched. I've done it both ways, saw no difference.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

As a 100% 71 year old disabled vet I'll call road side assistance
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

I've removed my tires several times for various reasons.....I use a 12 ton bottle jack, (I carry more than one) I carry several different sizes of boards and use them accordingly to get the jack high enough. I ALWAYS place the bottle jack on the frame - not the axle. I put a board across the frame, which prevents the jack slipping off, and then a thin aluminum sheet between that board and the bottle jack (it prevents the jack from crushing in on the board)Öthis works very well for me - and is easier than it sounds.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
As a 100% 71 year old disabled vet I'll call road side assistance
from one Vet to another thank you for your service.

89% and being reassessed. I still do a lot of stuff myself like change tires but if I get my PTSD to flare someone needs to move traffic out of the way of flying tools

I used to use a 12 ton bottle jack. (My wife's girl friend went to pick 2 x 12 ton jacks up at the store for us and she wasn't sure her Honda Civic could carry that much weight.)

I now use this
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #15

If you plan to use a bottle jack, be sure to locate it under the spring shackle and do not put the tip of the bottle jack directly on the outside of the axle. The axle shafts are relatively thin wall metal tubes, and there would be a danger of puncturing or deforming the tube if you place the bottle jack directly on the axle tube. We always place a small wooden block under the spring shackle before raising the bottle jack.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #16

I have been instructed to never ever put a jack on an axle or axle tube to lift it. Never have, so I don't know if it causes dangers to the tube and axle or not.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

I use the Trailer Aid... loosen the offending tires lug nuts, pull or back good tire up on the Trailer Aid, change the tire, tightening lugs, check and secure any loose or torn up stuff from the tire blow, then pull off the Trailer Aid and finish tightening the tire. Don't forget to pick up the Trailer Aid. Drive a few miles then get out and retighten lug nuts.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #18

Whatever happened to pulling the non-flat tire onto blocks to raise the flat? Simple and safe.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #19

I carry a tire ramp AND my dewalt 18v impact wrench with both metric and sae impact sockets for any trailer I tow.

The last time I had to change a flat on the side of the road was with a trailer load of cows and all I had was a 20 ton bottle jack. It was super dangerous and I was glad I had my impact to speed the process up. Jack nearly slipped off and sunk in quite a bit even with a wide base of 12x12 blocks.

Promptly purchased a suitable tire ramp the next day.

I wouldn’t dream of using a bottle jack on a camper on the side of the road any more. The risks of soft shoulders, winds causing rocking make a bottle jack a dangerous choice.

Invest or make your own tire ramp. Far safer and faster than a bottle jack.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Whatever happened to pulling the non-flat tire onto blocks to raise the flat? Simple and safe.
VERY SAFE and SIMPLE! I think it's the safest and you don't have to crawl under and make critical jack placements. A friend gave me a ramp, but it's a skosh low, so I have a large block at the end.

When I have seen pros provide road service, they carried 2x8 blocks and used them. As you say, simple and SAFE. Nothing could be easier to lift one tire for a change.

I don't have torsion axles and I don't know if blocks work well with them. If I had a leveling system, I might use it, but I don't know enough about leveling system jacks to say.

Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, wheel