Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Choices- Wildcat Sterling or Silverback

Hello All

My wife and I will be purchasing a Silverback 29RE ? or a perhaps a Wildcat Sterling 32RL.

My wife really wants more counter space than the RL provides, however we really like the larger living area the RL provides-( RE does appear to have more counter space??) the WC Sterling offers some very nice features that we also really like.

We plan on living in the coach this winter ( Wyoming ) we want to have the best insulation factors as possible- Is the Silverback really that much more well insulated?? I cant determine if the valves and underbelly are heated on the Silverback- whereas the Sterling states their valves and underbelly are heated.

What to do-- If you where living this winter in one of these two coaches... which would choose???

Thanks for your help
bhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

We have a 29RE Silverback, the underbelly and tanks are insultaed. We was just in the factory last week and seen how they are constructed. They have heated tanks plus insulation. We live in our camper close to 6 months a year. I don't think any camper is insulated enough to live in it in cold weather. Its rated R14 on the belly of the camper. We are currently in KY and its gotten down to 29 degrees at night and we haven't had any problems. The only thing I don't like in the kitchen is the carpet in front of the stove but you can buy carpet runner to protect it. I have plently of cooking space. (but if a women likes to cook she never has enough space). The only thing I can suggest if you buy the silverback make sure the seals our good on the slideouts. We had to have one rebuilt because the sunshine was coming through. The factory was very helpful with this problem. (Do the mirror test)
grandmadonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

We have the Silverback 29RL and really like the layout. Lots of floor space with the sink and countertop along the front of the kitchen and the refrig and stove in the street side slide. We too are not fond of the carpet in front of the range but we just put a runner over that area. The layout of the entertainment area and the recliners in the rear of the RV. Good luck with your choice.

Ron & Pat
Greentown Indiana
2014 F350
2016 Chaparal 336TSIK
ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

Thank you both for your responses- We purchased a Silverback 35RE last weekend. We really liked the Wildcat and the features the 32 RL offered. In the end the 35 RE was chosen for the increased cabinet and counter space in the coach and the increased insulation with R 38 in the ceiling and floor.

Thanks again

Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #5

I think you made the right choice.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #6

Stay warm.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #7

We have added R10 polystyrene panels behind the pass through compartment doors. Heat taped the water line and enclosed the sewer line in a polystyrene box. We also have skirting on the way from http://www.rvskirting.com/ RV Skirting in Loveland CO. Curt Miller is the owner, he is a great person to work with!!

In addition to the heat tape I added a redundant heat source ( 40 watt bulb) on a thermostatically controlled plug in case the temps drop in the pass through......I have a wireless temperature sending unit in the pass through to watch the temps....hopefully I didn't miss anything..

I can post pictures later - if any one is interested??
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

It sounds like you have most issues covered for cold weather. What part of Wyoming will you be wintering in? Brrrrr, makes me cold just to think of it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It sounds like you have most issues covered for cold weather. What part of Wyoming will you be wintering in? Brrrrr, makes me cold just to think of it.
In the West Central area near the Wind River Mountains- ( Lander Area )
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #10

3M film on the windows today-- wow what a difference-