Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

We picked up our new 36CKTS a few weeks ago, and have been on the road ever since. We love the camper, but the ride- not so much. The chucking isn't as bad on good roads, but the ride on bad roads is horrible. I have a Ford F-350 DRW diesel 4x4 with air bags and a Reese slider hitch. The camper has a Trail Air pin. I've tried the air bags everywhere from 20 - 80lbs, and the trail air pin at different pressures, and nothing helps. Any thoughts?

Mike & Nan
2014 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2013 Ford F-350 4X4 Dually
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
What's your pin weight?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
Not what you want to hear, but I put shocks on my 5er and stopped all chucking and dolphining. Had a Reese Slider originally with a Reese Revolution. Took the truck/trailer back to dealer and they installed a std Reese 16k hitch and activated the Revolution. Stopped some of the problems, but the shocks stopped all of it.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Plain Old Member
Shocks an option as mentioned. Another option, ditch the trail air for a MorRyde. I always preferred the MorRyde. One thing I noticed which will make me sound ignorant, was when pulling our fifth on the bumpier roads, my throttle on the f-350 was a shade sensitive, and my foot would actually get in a rhythm with the bumps causing it to chuck. I'd lake my foot off the throttle and it'd stop. That's where cruise control solved that problem.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Mike&Nan- is it just a TrailAire? Or does it also have the TriGlide?

I think the TriGlide is supposed to help some.

I have just a standard pin, but I also am trying to convince myself that new Bilstein shocks on the truck will help smooth out things.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
semi-senior member
I have the Trail Air Tri Glide on my 320 and it takes out probably 95% of all the jerking around!

Happy Camping!!
Dennis & RuthAnn
Tippy too!
Columbus (2014)320RS
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
x2 on the TriGlide. When researching what pin I wanted, I learned that there are actually 3 different TrailAir pins. You say you've tried different pressures on your TrailAir, leading me to believe you have a TriGlide. On mine, there is a decal with an arrow that clearly says the bottom of the shock housing should be at the tip of the arrow. I have to adjust the bladder pressure, depending on my load.
2012 F350 Lariat Supercab DRW LWB Diesel
Reese Elite 18K - Trailair Triglide
2014 Sanibel 3500 - everything but the generator!
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Old Member
Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Trail Air pin + TV Air bags don't mix well, they will fight each other. Try deflating the TV bags & see if the ride does not improve.

I have the F350 2 WD DRW without air bags & have no problems over the last 20K miles.

Mike, Sheila & Toppi our Fur Kid
2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS/MorRyde IS/Kodiak Disc + bells-n-whistles

2013 Ford F350 Lariat/CC/DRW/Aux Fuel/Curt 20K
from Spring, TX , FROG, CCRVC, CCRVOC & Escapees members
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
should of bought a seriously everything you did I would of suggested
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Former Full Timer
Lets start with a question: Why do you have air bags on a F350 DRW? You certainly don't need them for a 36CKTS.
Especially on a 4x4. So without the airbags does your truck rear end sag? If
not, you should consider losing the bags or deflating them. They probably are not helping and will not solve chucking issues.
Next is your TrailAir L-05. It is designed to cushion the ride of the trailer and greatly reduce the shock of rough roads that are transmitted through your truck to the pin box. It has nothing to do with solving chucking issues either.
A comment was made which suggested losing the TrailAir and replacing it with a MorRyde. That will address your chucking issue as that is what the MorRyde is designed to do however your trailer will feel the loss of the air ride and you will certainly see the impact of that loss when you open the door after a long ride on our fine Highways. Good luck with that choice.
So in order to solve your chucking issue without creating a new problem, you must identify the cause of your problem followed by implementing an appropriate remedy. Your chucking is most likely being caused by your hitch. Mounting points and jaw (or collar) assembly are the places to look. Worn pins, elongated holes, worn rails are places to look for above bed mounts. Pucks and pins for below bed mounts. Next look at the point where the hitch plate mounts to the hitch frame. Again, pins and posts could be worn causing movement. Last place is the jaw. Is it contacting the king pin correctly? Is it worn? The king pin could be a culprit but yours is new. Also make sure your pinbox is tight. Lower jaw pivot bolt and upper box mounting. Might as well check for cracks on the frame while your under there.
If you find a problem, you may have found the causal factor for your chucking. If not, you can still address the issue by adding a Tri-glide to your TrailAir, replace your hitch, or installing a MorRyde and replacing your hitch with one that has air cushioning built in.

Last question: Why do you have a slider in a long bed? Oh yes, don't forget to check the slide rails and licks for play as well.

Hope this helps.

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote