Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #1

Clicking Sound on 36RE

Experiencing a loud clicking sound on initial take-off as well as braking. We have the Trail-Air pin-box and the B&W companion hitch, so not sure where the sound is coming from. No matter how gentle I accelerate or brake, I hear this. Have had several friends look/listen and we can not figure it out. Also the air bags on pin box are not perfectly parallel to each other(bottom air bag tilts down in front and top airbag tilts up in front. Bags are touching in rear and have a significant gap in front). Looked at same hitch on another Cedar Creek and they are the same way. However, on other brands they are parallel to each other . Any ideas on either of these issues? Truck is a 2008 GMC 3500 SRW. Sorry for the length of post and thanks in advance. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

I wouldn't call it a 'click' - more like a 'clunk'; but I hear it if the electric brake controller is set too low. I bumped mine from 6.5 to 7.0 and found the 'clunk' to occur much less often.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Definitely not the brake. My brakes do make a sound but this is coming from bed/hitch/pin-box area.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #4

Not wanting to high jack the thread but has anyone had any issues with periodic minor leaks from cylinders or pump area? Have a little fluid on shelf and battery box lid located below the pump as well as on the rear door side ram and foot. Is this normal? Unit is 6 months old.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

I have a 2011 36RE with the auto-level up system. I have never had a hydraulic leak in the area you note but did have one within the central box where all the hook ups are located. I finally figured out it was one of the slide values at the top. I contacted Lippert and they sent me a replacement value with some a,b,c(s) on how to relieve the pressure and exchange the value block. Where there is fluid there is a leak no doubt. I would do a thorough investigation of the tank/pump area feeling for any wetness. Check right after running the hydraulics and see if you can feel any wetness.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

While putting my B&W back into my truck today, I noticed the 2 u-bolts were loose, loose to the point that I could lift them an inch or so high. Never noticed it before. Actually my nephew who was putting the hitch into the bed of my truck noticed it. I know this can not be normal? never tried to lift the u-bolts as my curious nephew did. Perhaps that is where the clicking sound has been coming from. Please reply with any thoughts as I have to drive 100 miles on Monday for some warranty work. Thanks in advance. Steve A. Dagro
Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Always Learning

Same hitch here- mine don't move at all.

I assume you're tightening them down to 80pounds of torque? If so, how many times have you had the hitch in and out? It could be that it's time for new lock nuts. Supposedly if you call B&W, they'll send replacements out. Either way- I'd be on the phone with them before traveling Monday, if possible.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Same hitch here- mine don't move at all.

I assume you're tightening them down to 80pounds of torque? If so, how many times have you had the hitch in and out? It could be that it's time for new lock nuts. Supposedly if you call B&W, they'll send replacements out. Either way- I'd be on the phone with them before traveling Monday, if possible.
X2 I had to get new U bolts for mine because the lock nuts where binding. Called B&W and they sent me new ones for free.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #9

Actually it's the 2 u-bolts going thru the bed of the truck to the undercarriage.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10

Slack

If there is slack to the point you describe I definately would get it fixed/checked out prior to pull again. If those nuts have backed off giving slack the total hitch could come out of there with one right jolt. Not good.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #11

I think what you are talking about is where you hook the safety chains in the bed if you we're pulling a gooseneck trailer. They lift up so you can get a hook around them.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Actually it's the 2 u-bolts going thru the bed of the truck to the undercarriage.
Bowtie (I think) is right. They are hooks for safety chains when pulling a gooseneck trailer. They don't come into play with the companion hitch at all. Mine lift easy and get pulled back to the bed when I let to (they have sprigs in them to keep them snug down on the bed).

Not sure where your noise is coming from. Is there any looseness/slop anywhere in the hitch itself? Can you move the base around once it's tightened down into place?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Yep the u bolts going through the bed are for safety chains on gooseneck trailers(I use them all the time). You may check to make sure the draw down bolt ( the gold colored bolt on top of the square tubing that goes down) is torqued to 40 ft lb. And that the u bolts holding the square tubing are torqued to 80 ft lb and tighten each side evenly

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121216_090506.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	22340

You might check that the side bolts are tight too and the bolts on the pin box. Might also check where the pin box meets the frame and make sure there are no cracks.

Hope you can figure it out!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote