Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Coach Weights. Yikes ... Help!

I want to buy a Cedar Creek 36CKTS ... tricked out with most of the factory-available options, and then add a hefty solar system. The published coach weight limits (in lbs) are:
GVWR: 16,500

Ship Weight: 12,230

Cargo Capacity: 4,270

Hitch Weight: 2,500

As I understand it, the 'Cargo Capacity' must include/presume the weight of:
full tanks (waters (fresh, gray, black);
propane;

any installed options/accessories ... or the difference in the weight of an option from the weight of the item that comes stock in the coach (like a mattress upgrade);

people weight and all of the stuff to do life in the coach (food; clothes; tools; equipment; etc.)

So I float around the Internet and get the actual ... or close enough ... weights for the factory-offered options I want. Then fill the tanks full at about 8 pounds a gallon, and add it all up. The total is 3,876 lbs ... before a person or bottle of wine climbs aboard. So 394 lbs available for everything else. My partner's nail polish will weigh more than this!

Am I just not get'n it ... but would Cedar Creek offer options that pretty much max out the GVWR? What am I missing?

I'm new to fifth wheels, and haven't signed any dotted-lines yet for truck or coach. This whole weight thing makes me nervous. Any advice and insights very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
thinkntravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Those weight are not real world. Each unit comes with an out the door weight sticker with the actual weight of the unit. It includes propane but not water. You don't include people weight cause they are not in the trailer when towing. Save that thought for your tow vehicle. That will be the next dilemma.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Ahhh ... so does the GVWR only matter when you're towing? I was told by my dealer that the GVWR is how much weight the "frame" can support ... matters not if sitting or rolling. If it just applies to 'rolling,' then one resolution would be to drive with near-empty tanks ... yes? ... (but not always possible if you've been out boondocking).

Thanks for the help!
thinkntravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Up to you

Rethink the tanks your not going to travel with "all" tanks full. The amount of stuff you bring along will have a impact on weight. As an example If you are going full time and feel the need to bring every tool you've ever owned then you will have a lot of weight allowance tied up in something you may not need. If you read on many newby forums you will find a lot of people repack after they have been out awhile realizing they have to much unneeded stuff. You will not really know until you load it up.
About solar keep in mind if you get the residential refrigerator the amount solar capacity you will need is large. I have one and have pondered getting solar but just don't know at this time if it is worth it. Remember that even with solar you will still a generator for those cloudy days.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkntravel View Post
Ahhh ... so does the GVWR only matter when you're towing? I was told by my dealer that the GVWR is how much weight the "frame" can support ... matters not if sitting or rolling. If it just applies to 'rolling,' then one resolution would be to drive with near-empty tanks ... yes? ... (but not always possible if you've been out boondocking).

Thanks for the help!
The frame does have it's limits however the GVWR is determined by the entire unit. The GVWR is the number represented by the "weakest link". That would include tires, wheels, axles, springs, king pin box and all of their respective mounting systems. If the frame itself was the issue, the level-up system would not be able to lift the entire unit as it is mounted to the frame. I would not say that the GVWR does not matter when the unit is static however the chances of a catastrophic failure due to overweight are almost non exhistant when compared to the stressors of hurtling down the road. Balancing your load to the extent possible and staying within your units limitations are best ways to RV safely.

Wanderer69's post is also spot-on. If you would like to see some solar numbers take a look at Zamp Solar.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Always Learning

It's rolling down the road weight.

A carrying capacity of 4,000+ pounds is tremendous- there are many campers that have a lot less.

My wife and I are the "pack everything and extras" type. We generally run with about 3,000 pounds of stuff over the advertised dry weight (options, some water in tanks, our stuff, etc.).
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

The gvwr makes me nervous too, we are taking a short trip this weekend with a large group of friends and it's got me nervous for sleeping arrangements as everyone wants to stay with us since it's a one night trip. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I am not so sure it's a good idea. Our TT says it sleeps 10, there will be 9 adults.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
schusters07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schusters07 View Post
The gvwr makes me nervous too, we are taking a short trip this weekend with a large group of friends and it's got me nervous for sleeping arrangements as everyone wants to stay with us since it's a one night trip. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I am not so sure it's a good idea. Our TT says it sleeps 10, there will be 9 adults.

Like Ependydad said, its 'rolling down the road' weight. For all those people, space and privacy will be your biggest concern!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:

We just slept 11 in my camper last week - 4 adults, 7 kids from 2 to 17 years old.

We regularly sleep 6 in 4 adults, 2 kids.

Don't fret, go have fun!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

It will be interesting, that's for sure haha but I'm a worrier, and I'm just invisioning the camper tipping over in the middle of the night, my husband has about had it with my craziness haha

schusters07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
It will be interesting, that's for sure haha but I'm a worrier, and I'm just invisioning the camper tipping over in the middle of the night, my husband has about had it with my craziness haha
It won't tip over!

The suspension will collapse!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We generally run with about 3,000 pounds of stuff over the advertised dry weight.
WHAT!!! do you carry rocks aboard... I could pack everything twice and still not come to that kind of weight. that is the weight of a small car...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
WHAT!!! do you carry rocks aboard... I could pack everything twice and still not come to that kind of weight. that is the weight of a small car...
Rolling down the road before a long-for-us (3 week) trip, my camper weighed in 3,000 pounds over the advertised dry weight.

The first 600 pounds is my *actual* dry weight vs. the advertised empty weight (actual dry: 12,440; yellow sticker dry: 12,240; advertised dry: 11,840).

I run w/ 1/2-3/4 of a tank of water (20-30 gallons). I keep my 10 gallon water heater full. So, say part of that was 400 lbs. of water weight.

I generally carry some water in the 2 black tanks (few gallons to keep things wet). I may or may not have water in the 3 gray tanks depending on when I last dumped my tanks.

Front storage list is on this thread. I also sometimes carry my 3 gallon air compressor up there. I'm adding some heavy wooden shelves to tidy up the area, so that'll add some weight.

Then there are 3 TVs, random electronics, upgraded mattress, mattress cover, 3 foam mattresses for the bunkhouse, plus bedding + extra for all beds (2 sleeper sofas, 3 bunks, 1 master bed), toys, games, etc. Towels for 6 people. Beach/pool towels for 4 people (with extras). Extra throw blankets, pillows, all that jazz.

The kitchen stuff adds up- we carry a full set of pots & pans, 2 electric griddles, crock pot, toaster, bottle heater, coffee pot, full set of utensils + cooking instruments, plates, bowls, cups, mugs, etc.

The outdoor kitchen has its own share of things, usually a case of water, some soda pops, some beer, grill set, picnic table covers, bug candles, etc.

Tags
weight