Old 07-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Cold weather

It is pretty hot right but it's going to get cold again. Cedar Creek says my camper can get down to freezing, down to zero, the question is how do you keep the low point drains from freezing up. My fresh water tank empty out line is like a 1 1/2 ft in the weather and water for the ice maker is outside, the discharge water from the frig is outside. Doesn't this all freeze when it gets to zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Many manufacturers say thier units are livable down to zero ... I just smile as my definition of livable isn't the same. The fresh water tank has a heater on the bottom, but I doubt if it would save the drain valve if you were in the teens. SOB's have their low point drain valves higher up inside the convience centers ... I dunno what CC was thinking when they hung a line down outside the frame and put a cap on it. The residential fridges with icemakers are relativly new, so I have no comment. Without supplemental electric heaters, you'll burn thru both tanks of propane in 3-5 days depending on how cold and wind. Many use heat tape covered with insulation on water lines. Some keep a 60 watt light on behind their convience centers. I do know any water lines touching the frame will freeze at that point in really cold weather as the frame and water line become the same temp as ambient. I'm not saying people don't RV in cold weather ... I'm just saying there's more to it than turning on the tank heaters. As most snowbirds say ... "we just move south when it gets cold".

Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Concur with Dieselguy. Your fresh water drain line is going to freeze. The question is will it or other exposed lines burst? I've been in temps in the mid teens overnight and sub-freezing temps for 36 hours or so with no problems. Lines freeze up but they thaw again. But the clock is ticking & the longer you are in sub-freezing temps, the more problems you will have. We winter over in north Texas where the freezes are short duration & rarely below the mid 20s. We haven't had any damages in 3 years so far.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

The tank heaters look good in the brochure...

In addition to the unprotected outside lines, On ours the water line from the fresh tank to the pump rests on the hydraulic ram for the main slide. It's clearly visible through the huge hole in the frame that the ram passes through, sitting about 2" in. No way will that survive much time with freezing ambient temps.

At one time CCs may have been useable in freezing temps, but not the current units. Not as they come from the factory anyway.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
clr

There is no water in the water tank or in the 1 and 1/2 foot drain pipe when you winterize your unit. When I camp in the winter I just do not use the water tank therefore no water in the drain hose for the tank. I have camped many times below freezing in this manner with no problems. As for the low point drain my valves are in the heated UDC and the drain pipes drop straight out the bottom of the UDC so again no water exposed to freezing temps.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
There is no water in the water tank or in the 1 and 1/2 foot drain pipe when you winterize your unit. When I camp in the winter I just do not use the water tank therefore no water in the drain hose for the tank. I have camped many times below freezing in this manner with no problems. As for the low point drain my valves are in the heated UDC and the drain pipes drop straight out the bottom of the UDC so again no water exposed to freezing temps.

On my 30RL the bottom of the low point drain pipe was outside and the valves were inside but on the 32RL there is no valves just the pipes outside with a screw on the end of the tubes, down about a foot. I don't ever winterize as I camp in every month. I like cold weather, I can always get warm, I can't always get cool. This 32RL may be a problem, I may sometimes have to blow the water out of the lines. The frig lines are all outside. Oh well back to the drawing board. I don't plan to stay where it's zero at a lot, I can work something out

Old 07-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Just add valves like your other camper assuming the lines are behind the panel where the vac cleaner is.

Fresh water if just a night wouldn't worry too much about it. Longer period could put some foam wrap around the exposed hose and valve or open to drain.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Just add valves like your other camper assuming the lines are behind the panel where the vac cleaner is.

Fresh water if just a night wouldn't worry too much about it. Longer period could put some foam wrap around the exposed hose and valve or open to drain.

Water line is not behind the panel

Old 07-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Last winter I was told if the weather gets below freezing let the water run. Make sure your gray water hose is hooked up and the valve is open. All you need is a small stream the size of a pencil lead. An old Yooper trick.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

That would work but the low water drains will freeze no matter. I'll look again tomorrow but so far I can't find the drain lines, where there are at in camper