Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Comfort Ride 5th hitch

I have a 25k Comfort Ride hitch on my 2017 GMC Denali 3500HD dually long bed and 2015 Cedsr Creek 38RE. Every time i go to hitch and unhitch since day one (June 2017) i have to pull and hank on the hitch to try to get it open and release the trailer i even have to ask someone in the RV park to help me because i cant get it to release. The maker of the hitch tells me with wear and use it will loosen up but 2 years and it hasnt budget an inch. He even sent me a chain for the handle but that doesn't help . Any suggestions and i wouldn't recommend this hitch to anyone. It suppose to be great but i hate it. My husband is a Disabled Veteran and i have to do everything by myself so i need it to work as smooth as possible. Help please
Rogerbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

Are you releasing the pressure on the kingpin by blocking the trailer tires, putting the truck in neutral, applying parking brake, then back in park, then trying the release handle?

Sometimes when my release is hard I will go through that process, even putting the truck in gear just enough to nudge up against the opposite side of the kingpin.

Might be worth a try.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Are you releasing the pressure on the kingpin by blocking the trailer tires, putting the truck in neutral, applying parking brake, then back in park, then trying the release handle?

Sometimes when my release is hard I will go through that process, even putting the truck in gear just enough to nudge up against the opposite side of the kingpin.

Might be worth a try.
I tried that several times when i have to unhook the 5er. It takes me anywhere from 15 mons to 2 hours to get this hitch to release.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbab View Post
I tried that several times when i have to unhook the 5er. It takes me anywhere from 15 mons to 2 hours to get this hitch to release.
Well dang, that's not good! Maybe take it to an independent RV service shop and/or hitch installer and have them look at it for manufacturing defects. I would ask them about the possibility of adjusting and greasing the mechanical parts. It definitely shouldn't be that hard.

I do take my hitch apart every few years to clean and lubricate.

Good luck, I hope you find some answers!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've had several different hitches in the 30 years of pulling 5th wheel trailers but not your particular model.

But as NMWildcat mentioned, they ALL have experienced this issue at times and I've always been able to release the handle by either putting the truck in neutral or nudging the truck one way or the other.

The only other thing I can think of... are you raising the hitch pin too high when unhitching? Lifting the pin box too high can certainly bind things up.

I raise mine until I can just see a crack between the pin box and the plate on the hitch.

One last thought... my uncle had a 5th wheel that he used a Teflon slip plate on the pin between the pin and hitch. It was thick enough it made it a bear to pull the release lever.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

This hitch comes with a silcon pad permanently installed on it. Also the hitch is supposedly lubricating and oil free for life of the hitch. This why i got it so i could have a maintenance free hitch. Big mistake. I understand RoadMaster purchased the hitch from Rick so i dont know if maybe they will help me
Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The only other thing I can think of... are you raising the hitch pin too high when unhitching? Lifting the pin box too high can certainly bind things up.

I raise mine until I can just see a crack between the pin box and the plate on the hitch.
Excellent point. Most of us either do as 5picker described, or extend the landing gear just enough so there is still a little weight on the hitch plate so there is about an inch or less of truck 'pop-up' when you drive out from under the hitch.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Buy a Andersen hitch....
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzoo View Post
Buy a Andersen hitch....
For just a different set of issues
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #10

My routine: block trailer tires, put truck in reverse to take pressure off pin, put truck in park & set parking brake, lower landing gear to ground without lifting, unlock hitch, lower landing gear to drive off position. Works every time.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

I have experienced the problem that your having but not to the same degree of difficulty. I have a Reese 16K hitch, if I raise the king pin too high or do not raise it high enough, the locking jaws on the hitch will bind. If you take a strong flashlight and look at the slot on rear of hitch where the king pin is, you can see the locking jaws and whether they are binding at the top or bottom.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #12

When I was pulling instead of blocking the trailer tires I just manually applied the 5ver brakes with the brake controller and backed the truck into it to release the pressure. Worked for me.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Seems the more technical and expensive the new fancy hitches are the more problems that arise. I use an inexpensive curt Q20 and have no problems whatsoever. I run the landing gear down on the trailer. Set the brakes on the trailer, then back my pickup into the trailer to release pressure on the pin. I then set the brakes on my pickup and shut down the truck. I can then go to my hitch and pull the pin with one finger. People spend all this money on fancy hitches thinking that they are going to have such better ride and handling. The ride is handled by the pickup trucks suspension. Improved performance such as air ride suspension is all you need for improved ride and handling. The Q20 has the articulating head and servicing the jaws eliminates jaw chucking. Save your money, buy simple and do maintenance.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Important note...

When I back up toward the trailer to release the pressure on the pin, I set the parking brake BEFORE I take my foot off of the brake pedal to keep the truck from rolling forward again.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Buy a Andersen hitch....
This kind of post really doesn't help anyone.

I assume you like your Andersen but to make a general statement with the few words "Buy an Andersen hitch...' really does not help the OP who asked for advice/opinions on a completely different style of hitch.

If you would have explained WHY the OP should buy an Anderson, you might have had better luck having someone actually listen to you voicing an opinion.

Or don't... and everyone will blow by your post as meaningless banter.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Buy a Andersen hitch....
I was going to sat that too but I'm glad you did first so you get the nastygrams.
I have never had a problem, even at extreme angles hitching or unhitching with my Andersen.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I was going to sat that too but I'm glad you did first so you get the nastygrams.
I have never had a problem, even at extreme angles hitching or unhitching with my Andersen.
I can say the same thing about my sidewinder and standard hitch. But it doesn't help the OP with their specific hitch problem......
Old 04-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I can say the same thing about my sidewinder and standard hitch. But it doesn't help the OP with their specific hitch problem......
Yes, you're right. My apologies.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This kind of post really doesn't help anyone.

I assume you like your Andersen but to make a general statement with the few words "Buy an Andersen hitch...' really does not help the OP who asked for advice/opinions on a completely different style of hitch.

If you would have explained WHY the OP should buy an Anderson, you might have had better luck having someone actually listen to you voicing an opinion.

Or don't... and everyone will blow by your post as meaningless banter.
Sorry 5picker, the intention was not to be uncaring or whatever you might call it. I should have implied that I have never had a problem with my Anderson and he should check them out. I will be more explicit next time. I sincerely hope he gets his problem solved.

Enjoy your camping.
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbab View Post
I have a 25k Comfort Ride hitch on my 2017 GMC Denali 3500HD dually long bed and 2015 Cedsr Creek 38RE. Every time i go to hitch and unhitch since day one (June 2017) i have to pull and hank on the hitch to try to get it open and release the trailer i even have to ask someone in the RV park to help me because i cant get it to release. The maker of the hitch tells me with wear and use it will loosen up but 2 years and it hasnt budget an inch. He even sent me a chain for the handle but that doesn't help . Any suggestions and i wouldn't recommend this hitch to anyone. It suppose to be great but i hate it. My husband is a Disabled Veteran and i have to do everything by myself so i need it to work as smooth as possible. Help please

Hi, I have a Comfort Ride 245 Hitch and it's the best hitch I've used in 44 years. The ONLY time I've had an issue with releasing the King Pin is when I didn't pull the handle all the way out to release the interlock safety device. If you've damaged the spring that releases the interlock or it has come off then it will be very difficult to impossible to release the interlock. AND don't forget that you have to have the weight of the trailer off the head plate by lifting the trailer just enough to slide a piece of paper between the plate and pin box. It's actually a really easy hitch to operate once you get the hang of the routine. Mine has been easy to use since the first day it was in use. There is not another energy absorbing hitch around that can match it in performance and no air bags to keep filling up.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch