Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1

Configuration for extended stay propane

With the on demand hot water heater, we'll probably be using more propane this winter.

I don't mind taking the 30# tanks out on occasion, but I think that will be happening more this year.

Anyone configured their Cedar Creek with some kind of extended stay setup? There are a few devices for motorhomes, but can't seem to find something for the two tank setup of our 5er.

I can get a 100# tank and have someone come to fill it and would like to do that if possible. I know I can have them fill my 30# tanks also but fewer trips saves money and having the big tank lets me have 2 30#s for spares.

TIA
Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

I had extend-A-stay on my class A but for the trailer I think the only way to do it is to add a longer pigtail to one side of your regulator. This is a guess on my part hopefully someone will chime in that has done it or seen it done. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

I am sure that any propane co can set you up with all the parts needed . If you do buy a 100lb tank make sure it has a multivalve on it for refilling . If it does not have the correct valve they will have to disconnect the tank every time they fill . Also remember that all new tanks need to be purged before filling the first time .
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Rent it...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

I bought an extend-a-stay and modified the long hose (put a plug in outlet that was not needed). I just leave both tanks in their compartment, I connect one end of the extend-a-stay to the hose that screws onto one of the tanks, and run the hose down and out the bottom of the propane compartment and connect it to an extra 20# or 30# tank that I carry with me. I use this set-up at NASCAR tracks to run my Onan propane generator.
wbonta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

I have spent two winters in my 284BH. A 100 lb tank costs alittle over a $100-$150 tops. Keep in mind the fitting to attach to anything bigger than a 40 lb tank is different than the fitting for smaller tanks. A fillup of a 100 lb tank at Costco runs around $55-65 and will run almost a month depending on your comfort and the weather. I would tie directly into where one of my standard tanks tied into the tree. I would keep both 20 lbs tanks full for spares. I would refill either when my 100 lb tank and one of the 20 lb tanks was empty or before depending on the weather forecast. I think I ended up filling the 100 lb three times and had plenty in it when I left my extended campsite.

One thing to also keep in mind is that the tank weighs close to 160-170 lbs with a full propane load. Also keep a close eye (and nose) for the adapter cable. I got mine off Amazon and it was cracking after one winter.

The other thing I did was to get an electrically heated water hose. I didnt have any freezing problems after that.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Check with the local propane dealer in the area where you'll be camping at. I have had them give me a quote for installing larger tanks and refilling upon request.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
With the on demand hot water heater, we'll probably be using more propane this winter.

I don't mind taking the 30# tanks out on occasion, but I think that will be happening more this year.

Anyone configured their Cedar Creek with some kind of extended stay setup? There are a few devices for motorhomes, but can't seem to find something for the two tank setup of our 5er.

I can get a 100# tank and have someone come to fill it and would like to do that if possible. I know I can have them fill my 30# tanks also but fewer trips saves money and having the big tank lets me have 2 30#s for spares.

TIA
I question why you expect to use more LP with a demand unit. My wife was 22 years in the Water Heater world (domestic and commercial) and the rule there was - demand units will save gas. Why should the RV world be different?
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

It's not that the on demand unit will use more propane than a tank model...it's just that the on demand ONLY uses propane.

There is no electric option. So I'll see our propane use go up compared to other years when we used the tank heater only on electric.

Thanks to all for the responses. I think I found my solution here:

Sturgi-Stays - SturgiSafe RV Propane Products (LP Hoses, Sturgi-Stays, Quick Connects & Regulators)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

[QUOTE=CC38EL;1351405]It's not that the on demand unit will use more propane than a tank model...it's just that the on demand ONLY uses propane.

There is no electric option. So I'll see our propane use go up compared to other years when we used the tank heater only on electric.

Now that you put it that way, I see the logic, but with the Hydro rates we pay here I would never use the electric option at my seasonal, only at an overnight where Hydro is included.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 AM   #11

Just a thought. If you have an external bbq hook up you could back feed it. You would need a regulator but it should work. Just shut off the other tanks.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #12

We had a contract with a propane company that would check our 30# tanks once a week and refill as necessary. Was actually cheaper than renting a larger tank. But I do realize that most companies elsewhere don't seem to do that. We were at a large park where they had lots of customers and one company serviced the whole park.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #13

This is what I got. Just make sure to use propane tape and not water teflon tape to seal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	124045

The extra hose is wrapped around and the original short hose in there. Haven't dropped the hose out to another tank. Not using much electricity as it's in included in lot rent.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
Jack of All Trades

This is what I used to connect a 100 lb. tank to my 5er.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This connects to one of your existing propane tanks, and the pigtail from that tank connects to the other end. There is then the port to connect this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To connect from the above "tee" to the outboard tank.

Worked well for me last year. It allows you to use your existing tanks and the outboard tank at the same time (in my case, giving me 160 lb capacity (2 - 30 lb 5er tanks and the 100 lb outboard tank)).

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane