Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Connect my Galaxy Tablet A to my hdmi on Jenson tv?

I would like to stream netflix movies from my tablet to my tv. I'm not very good at this stuff and wonder if anyone else does this and what do I need to do it? Which cables, etc. Oh, it is not a smart tv.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

Try chromecast

I just use Chromecast for this function. The dongle for the TV is $35 available at Walmart, Staples, Best Buy. You will need a good internet connection. For the RV I use a Ubiquiti nanostation and it's Airstation wireless router.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
I would like to stream netflix movies from my tablet to my tv. I'm not very good at this stuff and wonder if anyone else does this and what do I need to do it? Which cables, etc. Oh, it is not a smart tv.
Are you streaming over a cellular network? If so, I hope you have an unlimited data plan.

With unlimited data (or perhaps the Ubiquiti equipment mentioned by @Bocamo) you could purchase HDMI adapter (search Google or Amazon) and an HDMI cable (assuming your TV has an HDMI input).
Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

If your TV has an HDMI input jack....

Buy a USB to HDMI cable to connect to your tablet.

There seems to be an endless list of conversion cables available. So it will depend on what kind of inputs you have on your TV.

Here is one site. NOTE: I have never ordered anything from them. There are probably other options available. Audio Video Cables, Extenders and Control Devices | C2G
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

streaming

the ubiquiti antenna and wireless router mentioned above is for amplifying and using the parks' wi-fi. All my devices then just log into the local network in the RV. The cost is less than $100.

The benefit of using something like Chromecast is that it is wireless. Your tablet can be next to you for actions like pause. Also it gives you choices from the internet such as Netflix and Amazon prime.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If your TV has an HDMI input jack....

Buy a USB to HDMI cable to connect to your tablet.
I don't believe Galaxy Tabs have USB connections - at least I've never seen one that does. The Galaxy Tab HDMI adapter is what the OP wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocamo View Post
the ubiquiti antenna and wireless router mentioned above is for amplifying and using the parks' wi-fi. All my devices then just log into the local network in the RV. The cost is less than $100.

The benefit of using something like Chromecast is that it is wireless. Your tablet can be next to you for actions like pause. Also it gives you choices from the internet such as Netflix and Amazon prime.
The ubiquiti stuff is great if the park has WiFi - not so much if the park doesn't have WiFi.

Chromecast is pretty slick. Of course, it requires WiFi to work.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

I would bet if you use the campground wifi for this you will be cut off or blocked as a good number of them limit bandwidth and do not permit streaming.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

I carry a laptop with a HDMI port to hook to my tv in our MH. That allows me to use my laptop as a dvd player, or to play movies that I had already downloaded. Our tv is a smart tv, but we do use chromecast on some TV's at home that are not smart TV's. My son set up their smart phone so it can play through chromecast to play movies, as they have an unlimited data plan.
If you don't get the answer you need here, do a google search for hooking up your tablet to your tv without wifi there are some web sites out there that show how.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
If you don't get the answer you need here ....
He has his answer. I provided it in the second response to his OP.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Netflix hopefully you have unlimited data. I found downloading movies was easier/faster ahead of time.

I use my Note 5 to download movies at home. Then I have a Sony Blu ray player with screen mirror built in. I connect the DVD player to the tv, connect my phone using quick connect (wireless) AKA screen mirror and watch my movie. Granted I can't do anything on the phone while the movie is playing but it's generally late at night and/or raining so I don't need to use it for anything else.

I have this Sony https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-BDPS...&wl13=&veh=sem
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Depending on your tablet and O/S, you have many options. Just google "wireless stream from android tablet to tv". I personally use the chromecast mostly. Chromecast unfortunately requires an internet connection to function. It doesn't use or need much bandwidth once connected, so once it's "online" it functions well. You will also need a local lan set up in your RV (router) to use chromecast. Without access to internet, this obviously is not a solution but there are other solutions out there.

Good luck.
itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

I use this one with my Galaxy S5 phone and never had any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WYPGKAZRG7H41X
barnskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

I found most places we've stayed seldom have the data capacity to 'stream' much of anything let alone any video programming, so I load up 1 TB hard drives with movies and TV shows ripped from our DVDs and YouTube, easy to do, and I bought a $30.00, very small player from Amazon, with USB input with HDMI to TV input that plays and navigates the hard drive.
I use the stand alone portable hard drives like Western Digital brand. Best time to buy those is in the summer before school starts and at Christmas. Wal Mart sells "media players" at times also, not as inexpensive as can be found on Amazon but not very expensive either. I tried using my Roku 3 with USB input but wasn't happy with the video quality so I found just a streamer box, no connectivity.
With two 1TB drives I have more programming than we've ever watched on any trip. And, since you can download programming you purchase on Google Play you can use that also.
The picture is very good and so is the sound as the videos are digital copies. And most players usually have slots for SD cards and will play photos and audio so you can set your TV up as large photo frame with photos from the SD card playing random on the TV good for trips!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #14

Thank you all that replied. I'm going with the Chromecast dongle. We did have unlimited data on our phone with no cut off. I'm also on a lot that I bought in the campground and this year we did get cable internet. I do believe that will be hooked up to our 5th wheel next season. I'm tired of Dish, keeps going out when it rains, and I'm tired of the high bills for something I barely use. I just needed someone to point me in the correct direction how to get this to work since we don't have a smart tv in the 5'er.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #15

This is what I use. It is the best thing since sliced bread. http://www.seagate.com/consumer/stream/wireless-plus/. 2 tb of storage and you can stream to 7 devices. It will also work with chrome cast. We even use it on the plane.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinit View Post
This is what I use. It is the best thing since sliced bread. Wireless Plus: Mobile Storage To Stream Your Media| Seagate. 2 tb of storage and you can stream to 7 devices. It will also work with chrome cast. We even use it on the plane.
Do you download and save movies and shows to this and use it later?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #17
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinit View Post
This is what I use. It is the best thing since sliced bread. http://www.seagate.com/consumer/stream/wireless-plus/. 2 tb of storage and you can stream to 7 devices. It will also work with chrome cast. We even use it on the plane.
Wish I'd heard of that before I bought this dvd player. This would be much more useful.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
I found most places we've stayed seldom have the data capacity to 'stream' much of anything let alone any video programming, so I load up 1 TB hard drives with movies and TV shows ripped from our DVDs and YouTube, easy to do, and I bought a $30.00, very small player from Amazon, with USB input with HDMI to TV input that plays and navigates the hard drive.
I use the stand alone portable hard drives like Western Digital brand. Best time to buy those is in the summer before school starts and at Christmas. Wal Mart sells "media players" at times also, not as inexpensive as can be found on Amazon but not very expensive either. I tried using my Roku 3 with USB input but wasn't happy with the video quality so I found just a streamer box, no connectivity.
With two 1TB drives I have more programming than we've ever watched on any trip. And, since you can download programming you purchase on Google Play you can use that also.
The picture is very good and so is the sound as the videos are digital copies. And most players usually have slots for SD cards and will play photos and audio so you can set your TV up as large photo frame with photos from the SD card playing random on the TV good for trips!
could you tell me what very small player from amazon you use? I am using roku to play movies off of my hard drives but am not very satisfied with it and am looking for a better solution. thanks - Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Yes, the Micca Speck G2 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards by Micca is still available from Amazon.
It looks like it has been updated a bit since Amazon says I'd bought mine in 2012 and it still works fine.
There are other brands available and it seems like they generally start at $39.00 and go up from there. It is very small and comes with it's own remote.
In the small box you get the player, remote, power brick and an A/V cable for older TV's. I don't recall if it included the HDMI cable but I had some on hand anyway. In front is the USB input, I/R port and SD card slot. In back is the power, HDMI port and A/V cable port.
As I'd said I have been using them longer than I'd thought and actually have 2 of these, one I use in the house and one I leave in the RV.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Thank you all that replied. I'm going with the Chromecast dongle. We did have unlimited data on our phone with no cut off. I'm also on a lot that I bought in the campground and this year we did get cable internet. I do believe that will be hooked up to our 5th wheel next season. I'm tired of Dish, keeps going out when it rains, and I'm tired of the high bills for something I barely use. I just needed someone to point me in the correct direction how to get this to work since we don't have a smart tv in the 5'er.
Well, having unlimited phone data and cable Internet makes this easy.

Are you looking for information on how to get the Chromecast dongle to work ... or how to get DISH to work in the rain?