Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Camping dude

Unhappy Converter issues

I have a 2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LRLBS 5th Wheel--I believe my converter unit is bad. I have battery lights but other systems will not activate when plugged into 30 amp or 50 amp systems. What is a good reliable brand converter to upgrade to. I have a 50 amp main breaker. Also, how detailed is it to change out the converter unit? Do I need to change the whole breaker system or just the converter unit? Thanks, Dave
Apache Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Use a progressive dynamics brand.
Replace whole unit to be sure great service.
Label all wires upon disassembling then reinstalling will be seamless.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do I understand correctly that you have 12V lighting but no 120V? If that's the case, it isn't your converter that's at fault, it's a problem with the 120V supply. You'll still have lightning until the battery runs down.

We need more information on your problem.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I read your post on that other thread, so I'm misinterpreting what you've said here. Is the 12V lighting dimming when plugged into shore power? Can you check the voltage across the battery terminals when plugged into shorepower...it should read around 13.5V if the converter is working.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Camping dude

My batteries died even though connected to shore power at home. I disconnected the positive battery cable on 1st battery (i have 2 wired in series for 24V) and tried lights--nothing. Next step is to connect battery charger to batteries while shorepower tied to house and see if i get lights. I have the converter ordered to change out but want to upgrade complete distribution panel w/converter to Progressive Dynamics but need to know which system is interchangeable without having to modify wall area for installation. My unit is WF 8930/50 with 50 amp service breaker. My converter is WFCO 55 amp--model # 9855. Any information given is well appreciated. I am at work and wife is trying to help me remedy this issue this week so we can leave for Virginia on the 5th of December for a 2 week vacation. Am really trying to make this repair so all systems will function properly while in the mountains. Thx, David
Apache Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Dave View Post
My batteries died even though connected to shore power at home. I disconnected the positive battery cable on 1st battery (i have 2 wired in series for 24V) and tried lights--nothing. Next step is to connect battery charger to batteries while shorepower tied to house and see if i get lights. I have the converter ordered to change out but want to upgrade complete distribution panel w/converter to Progressive Dynamics but need to know which system is interchangeable without having to modify wall area for installation. My unit is WF 8930/50 with 50 amp service breaker. My converter is WFCO 55 amp--model # 9855. Any information given is well appreciated. I am at work and wife is trying to help me remedy this issue this week so we can leave for Virginia on the 5th of December for a 2 week vacation. Am really trying to make this repair so all systems will function properly while in the mountains. Thx, David
David you need to stay on one thread at a time, you're only getting partial response from everyone cause the threads come to a self close. Now you have 4 threads started on the same subject. As I understand it now, you've concluded the battery charger portion of your converter has died. You want measurements for P/D panels to replace your own. I think Turbo is very knowledgeable on the subject of Progressive Dynamics, also there web site is very complete with lots of choices. All you need to reserarch is AC system 50 amp input. You output should be 55 amps DC or better with matching dimensions. I don't think will be hard to match. Hope ya make it in time, you should be able to.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote