Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Correct ATF fluid for hydro system

Have 2016 SilverBack and the owners manual states to use Dextron III or Mercon 5 either full synthetic or blend. All the auto parts store no longer carry Dextron III synthetic it has been replaced with VI. Anyone know if this is an acceptable replacement and won't blow the system or warranty.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Seeing as Dextron III was replaced in 2005 or 2006 and no longer produced I would think your manual needs updating. Dextron VI is backward compatible in GM Transmissions, I would say its the same for a simple hydraulic system installed on a trailer. Call FR and ask to be sure.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

Seadog and ATF

If that is when the ATF fluids were replaced then I agree with you on the manual updates since these are what I got with my 2016 5r. The Leapert manual showed a rev date of 2013 and the ForestRiver manual didn't show a copy rite. You would think that both parties would update their manuals more often than that but I guess it all boils down to money.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

I use the Mobile 1 Full Synthethic Trans sauce. Its readily available, meets/exceeds all specs and is compatible with whatever "they" put in
it at the factory. This is my second unit with Level-Up and I have never
had a valve, popping, or seal leakage problem with Mobile 1.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Talked with the tech at Leapert and he stated that the RV industry is still able to get and using Dexron III. He stated they get it by the 50 gallon drum. Went to good ole Walley World and loe and behold they had Dexron III so filled and running.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Lippert tech I talked with a couple of years back confirmed what I'd been hearing from others thru the years. Use any tranny fluid you want other than Ford Type F which is a bit hard to come by anyways. The cylinder and pump seals are nothing special so you just need a low viscosity fluid that doesn't foam. I've been in discussions before with owners whose units came with clear hydraulic fluid in their RV's and were questioning using any type of tranny fluid because it was red?? Hydraulic and tranny fluid base oils are near the same, just the additives separate them at point of sale.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

I had some popping noises from one side of my hydraulic Level Up cylinders. I went with the Lippert bulletin to replace some of the fluid with an Anti-Stiction Fluid "Fork Oil". I went with the Maxima Fork Oil 15. Sucked 2 quarts of original fluid out and replaced with this. No more noise.

Lippert bulletin attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LCI Level Up Hydraulics Anti-Stiction Fluids.pdf (505.0 KB, 74 views)

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughd033 View Post
Talked with the tech at Leapert and he stated that the RV industry is still able to get and using Dexron III. He stated they get it by the 50 gallon drum. Went to good ole Walley World and loe and behold they had Dexron III so filled and running.
You know I just called lippart last week they told me to use Micron 5....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote