Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
edt

COTTAGE Problems

Are these units trouble free or is no one using at this time ??????
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

since park models aren't your typical RV, there's not a lot of posts about them.
most RV'ers are traveling types and aren't interested in a model designed on just staying in one place.

park models have more in common with mobile homes, than RV's.

even seasonal site owners are a very small minority, on RV forums.

so, you can't use the number of posts about a park model, as being any kind of indicator as to whether they're trouble free or not.

i suggest you PM all the owners of the park models about whether they've had issues or not.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

We know people who have a 2012 CC 40CFE where we have a seasonal site. They have had zero problems with it.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

Thought about a seasonal site for the regular non vacation days then when on vaca hook up and go, best of both worlds. Got to find a seasonal place we like, haven't found one we like yet.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

We have had our 2014 40CRL for 7 months and have only had one problem and that was with the Splendide Washer. It leaked and it was a pain to take off the Dryer and then lift the washer over the ledge to get it out to work on it. Turned out to be al loose clamp on the water drain pump, hardly a Forest River problem.

A couple of design improvements are in order.

1. Why would anyone put the switch for the first lights you would turn on after dark when you come home behind a cabinet door (used space for kitchen fan for light switch and moved fan switch into cabinet where light switch was)

2. The Raising TV is screaming out for a remote control (had brother wire one)!

3. The dining room table on our model is installed so close to the window that you can't close the shades all the way (we have kitchen island, we moved it 1 inch)

4. The key slot for the sliding door is so close to the frame, a normal person can't turn the key without tearing up your fingers (we installed a mechanical push button lock for sliding doors)

5. You are supposed to change the return air filters yet the covers are just screwed into the wood ceiling board with wood screws. Two changes and the screws are striped! (Found covers from Canada that once installed with screws and bolts, have a door that folds down for filter changes)

6. The hide-a-bed is the worse design known to modern man, is a pain to setup and a bigger pain to put away, whatever happened to a regular sleeper sofa with dream air mattress.(at least it discourages overnight guests)

7. The only place to put a modem for cable internet only has plugs for the TV and DVD Player, so you have to use a multi plug strip for the modem.

8. Cable gate valves on holding tanks, need I say more?

9. Floor vent in bathroom is right in front of the shower door so it is either covered by a bath mat so heat can't heat the bathroom or if not gets wet every time you come out of the shower and quickly rusts.

10. The closet door with the hamper in the bedroom opens so that you have to be on the bed to open it instead of opening away from you so that you can stand up to use it.

All that being said, I am very happy and we love our Cedar Creek Cottage!

Jim
gatogonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Farm Living

Cottage - Observations, Problems, Ideas

We have just moved in to our 40CFK Cottage. The installation is semi-permanent while we work on restoring the cabin next door. We placed the unit on piers and are building a roof over it and deck. (Building will serve as future garage/work shed/etc.) While new to this "Park Model"/"Destination Trailer" world, we have a few observations to share and a few questions for Forum participants - especially other Cottage owners:

1. Design is everything. Several have mentioned design features that can be improved upon (door swing, sliding door handle spacing, etc.) I hope Forest River designers read these forums. There are a lot of great ideas in here.

2. The metal bathroom supply registers rust. Yep. Tough location. We've elected to remove them, sandblast, prime and repaint them to better match the floor. Pretty sever limits on bathroom carpet size if you want heat in there...

3. Is there such a thing as a QUIET water pump? Please let us know.

4. That couch design. (sigh) First, the air mattress provided has been discontinued. For $60 bucks got a new one, but much thicker than old one that leaked. A challenge if you are short legged... Second, the spring clips that "hold" the pivot arm of the bed fold out do not hold, so each time we use it we have to "put it back together" as we unfold the couch. Did I mention that design is everything?

5. Yes, that sliding door hardware HAS to be replaced. Any ideas on the the screen door handle? That is totally unusable and the screen is destined for constant replacement due to wear at the handle. Is there a standard hardware store solution? ANY ideas here are welcome.

6. Other things we are discovering that others have mentioned:
a. Water pressure (does everyone have this issue?) We are considering an exterior supply line and pump to get 45-50 psi and a shower that works.
b. Proprietary water filters rather than one you can pick up at Lowe's? Seriously?
c. Black water tank gate that is a BEAR to operate and I am convinced (after several hose changes) that is does NOT seal all the way. Does everyone add a second valve because the main one needs a backup?
d. Keeping the water line from freezing in the winter (we're in the mountains). Is heat tape the only option? Any ideas?
Yes, we are newbies. But, so far, we LOVE our Cottage with its big windows facing our special view (see other posts for picture.)

Chris and Julie
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Our 2015 Silverback 33rl has plastic color matched floor vents. Water pumps are ALWAYS noisy. You may research the Internet and find a more expensive, insulated pump. Another alternative is to locate yours, remove it, insulate all around it and reinstall it. Will help. Most are screwed into a wood platform which is prone to vibration and noise. As far as winterizing hoses, look under all search options regardless of type of unit. We all have this common issue if using our rv in winter freezing temps. You will find options that fit your need. You might even try the Keystone RV Forum as well
AS STATED: We all have common issues. Lots of good info out there. Gotta go get it.
I was just at the factory and saw the 2015 Cottages being built. Build is on same line and facility as my Silverback.
Features are different BUT much in common.
We too like your unit and in 5 years may buy one once we no longer travel due to age!
Good luck!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Slide out problems among many others. 40 foot cck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

Yes, issues, slide out getting crossways: one side comes in faster than the other, leaking sliding glass door, window Shade won't stay down, Motor on awning works sometimes and sometimes not. Table was not bolted to floor.
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #10

The next RV I purchase will not have lippert components.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
The next RV I purchase will not have lippert components.

I think you may have limited yourself with that statement. Lippert supplies to virtually all manufacturers, not just FR.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #12

Even mobile suite?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

Yes they build the frames for DRV not sure what other Lippert parts are used but more I am sure.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #14

I'm currently looking at luxe

Old 10-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #15

COTTAGE Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I'm currently looking at luxe

Ray B : saw a few Luxe's at the Hershey Rv show if you can afford one (I can't) get it. Then put me in your will so I can be the envy of the campground 😎. The one we looked at and sat in listed for $180,000. And weighed 18,000 lb my f150 can't pull it 😳. Anyway forest river's Rv's can't touch the luxe line IMHO so good luck in your quest 😁 P. S. I Owen a 2014 cottage cuz my wife liked the floor plan and I like it for the price we got it for. 👍
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #16

I can't afford one yet, I have to pay off the cottage first

Old 06-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #17

I know this is an old thread, but do any of your cottages have an inverter for the fridge. If so, where is it and the batteries that operate it? Also, do you have a factory water filter (I saw it was mentioned). We are in the process of buying a 2014 Cottage 40CCK and want to know what to check for on the pick-up inspection. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
edt

All cottages I have seen have a residential refrigerator 120 volt only if you are unlucky to get a water filter it is in the compartment beside water connections
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #19

our 40cck

our cottage has the residential frig that operates with 120 only.
The cottage does not have a separate water filter, there is one in the frig for the ice maker and drinking water tap.
We use a hose attachment filter for ours.

Enjoy your new unit, it has nice comfort and space.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #20

Does anyone have a stackable washer and dryer? It says to turn iff the water supply when not in use but it is almost impossible to reach. Does anyone just leave theirs on?
Rvretired is offline   Reply With Quote