Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #21

I am really glad to hear that folks not only buy a particular model for looks but also for the viewing of the TV. We went back and forth between the silverback 29RE, IK and 33IK. It basically boiled down to the 29RE we can move the recliners and watch TV directly in front. Purchased a movable island and we are happier than pigs in mud!
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #22

BandJCarm,

Regarding cargo capacity, the 36CKTS does have 1000 lbs less than the 34RL, BUT it has 3737 lbs which is way more than many competitive trailers. So is 3737 lbs a problem?

I have a 32' travel trailer now and carry what I want in the trailer and the "stuff" weighs about 1200 lbs with empty tanks. I am ordering a 36CKTS next week. I figure I will carry more in it, mostly moving things from the truck bed to the basement storage.

The real world empty weight of the trailer including options, I figure, will be about 400-500 lbs more than the brochure weight.

All factors figured, I think the 36CKTS has more that enough cargo capacity.

I debated length for long time. 34RL is ~37', 36CKTS is ~40'. 3 more feet. I figure that most campgrounds that will be a problem for 40', will still be a problem for 37'.

I like the extra storage space in the kitchen area, recliners facing the TV, and the extra room to walk next to a king size bed in the 36CKTS. No more side shuffle next to the bed .

Everything in RVs is a compromise. I have read about "3 foot itis". The desire for a RV that is 3 foot longer than the current one. I hope I buy the right one the first time. It is expensive to buy a second time to fix what is not liked about the current one.

Good luck in your choice.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
BandJCarm,

Regarding cargo capacity, the 36CKTS does have 1000 lbs less than the 34RL, BUT it has 3737 lbs which is way more than many competitive trailers. So is 3737 lbs a problem?

I have a 32' travel trailer now and carry what I want in the trailer and the "stuff" weighs about 1200 lbs with empty tanks. I am ordering a 36CKTS next week. I figure I will carry more in it, mostly moving things from the truck bed to the basement storage.

The real world empty weight of the trailer including options, I figure, will be about 400-500 lbs more than the brochure weight.

All factors figured, I think the 36CKTS has more that enough cargo capacity.

I debated length for long time. 34RL is ~37', 36CKTS is ~40'. 3 more feet. I figure that most campgrounds that will be a problem for 40', will still be a problem for 37'.

I like the extra storage space in the kitchen area, recliners facing the TV, and the extra room to walk next to a king size bed in the 36CKTS. No more side shuffle next to the bed .

Everything in RVs is a compromise. I have read about "3 foot itis". The desire for a RV that is 3 foot longer than the current one. I hope I buy the right one the first time. It is expensive to buy a second time to fix what is not liked about the current one.

Good luck in your choice.
Very good info. I appreciate this.

It's not JUST backing into a camping space. It's pulling it down the road, pulling into get diesel fuel. Parking it at home. Every inch is precious.

But yeah..........I guess 3K+ cargo is enough............I just have to convince my wife that we can't move the entire house into the trailer.

This is all one tough decision.........I know that.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #24

BandJCarm,

This is off topic and I hesitate to bring it up, but when you said ...

"It's not JUST backing into a camping space. It's pulling it down the road, pulling into get diesel fuel. Parking it at home. Every inch is precious."

I wondered what your tow vehicle is. I don't see if your truck is a 1500, 2500, 3500, etc. Have you evaluated if your truck is suitable to step up to the hitch weight of the FWs we are talking about? Or are you buying a different truck?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #25

I have 2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel Duramax.

If it won't pull any of these I'm looking at, I'd be flabbergasted.

My avatar pic I think (?) is my previous truck, the Chevy 1500. Wife drives it around town now.

I appreciate the question.........but surely I'm ok................I HOPE!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #26

I was confused because your Public Profile > About Me > says a Chevy with a 5.3L engine. That must be your previous truck. I thought truck in the picture looked like a 1500.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
I was confused because your Public Profile > About Me > says a Chevy with a 5.3L engine. That must be your previous truck. I thought truck in the picture looked like a 1500.
Yes. My bad. I just haven't changed it. I just don't have any pictures of the camper and new truck hooked up. Sorry! I'll go fix the Profile.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have 2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel Duramax.

If it won't pull any of these I'm looking at, I'd be flabbergasted.

My avatar pic I think (?) is my previous truck, the Chevy 1500. Wife drives it around town now.

I appreciate the question.........but surely I'm ok................I HOPE!!!!
You will be very very close. I am pulling with a 2008, 2500 Ram 6.7L Cummins and I am very close to my numbers. I also have switched out the factory tires and rims to a higher load capacity rating tire/rim combination. When I am pulling the trailer all of my holding tanks are empty also.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #29

The "Numbers" get over my head fast. I've been down this discussion before, and I am not sure I am smart enough to figure it out.

Truck says it'll pull 24,500 lbs. This thing is less than 20,000 loaded.

Past that, I get lost.........I will just have to admit.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #30

Check what your gvwr is with king pin.im replacing my 2500 with a 3500 for a 33ik. Because of the #'s
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #31

We have a 2014 34RLSA.

When we get to our camping destination we swap the recliners and sofa.

Sofa in the rear and recliners across from the TV.

Swapping the furniture is a piece of cake... takes less the 5 minutes.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
We have a 2014 34RLSA.

When we get to our camping destination we swap the recliners and sofa.

Sofa in the rear and recliners across from the TV.

Swapping the furniture is a piece of cake... takes less the 5 minutes.
Sidney,

So, does the couch fit well into the end cap where the recliners are??? I think it's 74" long, is that right? How well does it fit?

Have you used the couch as a bed in that position?

Your post makes me "slap my head". The simplest answer, and I never considered it. Duh!!!

34RL seems about same layout as 36CKTS but shorter, and lighter....a good thing to me! The big diff is the couch/recliner layout, which is why I asked how folks did it.

PM Me if needed. Thanks for the reply!

Bill
Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Sidney,

So, does the couch fit well into the end cap where the recliners are??? I think it's 74" long, is that right? How well does it fit?

Have you used the couch as a bed in that position?

Your post makes me "slap my head". The simplest answer, and I never considered it. Duh!!!

34RL seems about same layout as 36CKTS but shorter, and lighter....a good thing to me! The big diff is the couch/recliner layout, which is why I asked how folks did it.

PM Me if needed. Thanks for the reply!

Bill
Hey Bill,

The couch fits fine... plenty of room in the back cap position. We haven't used the couch as a bed but there is room enough if needed.

Also, we ordered our 34RLSA with no carpet in the living room (there is carpet in the slides and the back cap area). We put felt pads on feet of the furniture... making it even easier to move around.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #34

Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks!!!!