Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Couch and Recliner Swap???

Seriously considering a 34RL.......was close on a Silverback 33IK but appreciate the upgrade to CC quality and features.

One question I can't figure out totally. I don't like the layout in the 34RL (or 34RE either) where the recliners are to the 'side' of the TV and the couch is directly across. I asked why I can't just switch them, and was told that the couch is too deep to go in the end and the slides would not go in with the couch there.

SO.......why does it have to be THAT couch? Sales guy said it'd have to be 30" deep or less. I NEED the functionality of a sleeper-couch, but 30" is probably too shallow to find such a couch.

My other thought is......."Why not a swing arm on the TV?"

Anyone else have this issue? How did you solve? Is it hard to see TV from 'the side'???

Thanks.

Bill

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Yes, solved it by buying a 33IK, Love it. Plus it is a CC...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

I have 32RL with the couch at the rear and I went and measured it and the couch was 36in. Are you looking at buying a Cedar Creek?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Yes. 2016 CC 34RL....... I asked sales guy if the two could be switched and he said no, said if the couch is in the end, the slides won't close.

I figured there had to be a reason the two are offset from the TV. I guess this is where they cut the length to make this trailer so short.

I am HOPING a TV swing arm will fix it.........but I still would like to hear from someone who has the setup where the recliners are side from the TV, and not directly across, and what they think of it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
SnP

We have the CC 34RLSA, with the same seating setup. We didn't need the sofa/sleeper and chose to swap the couch for theater seating. That way we have theater recliners across from tv. Still have the regular recliners on back wall. Another issue with the recliners, is that they have to be turned sideways and placed along the back wall on the passenger side to close the slides. Kind of a hassle to mess with each time you setup or tear down to leave. We love it otherwise. But our next RV will not have this setup. We do like the CC 36CKTS, which has the recliners across from the tv and the couch on the back wall. According to CC it is their best seller.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-141
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

And more expensive and bigger and harder to haul.........

sigh

thanks man. I was afraid I wouldn't like that side seating.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Seriously considering a 34RL.......was close on a Silverback 33IK but appreciate the upgrade to CC quality and features.

One question I can't figure out totally. I don't like the layout in the 34RL (or 34RE either) where the recliners are to the 'side' of the TV and the couch is directly across. I asked why I can't just switch them, and was told that the couch is too deep to go in the end and the slides would not go in with the couch there.

SO.......why does it have to be THAT couch? Sales guy said it'd have to be 30" deep or less. I NEED the functionality of a sleeper-couch, but 30" is probably too shallow to find such a couch.

My other thought is......."Why not a swing arm on the TV?"

Anyone else have this issue? How did you solve? Is it hard to see TV from 'the side'???

Thanks.

Bill
We have a 2016 34RL. The dining room slide is too long and will rub the couch. We tried to order the Theater seating and have the couch change places, would not work. I had the factory call and inform me of this.

We installed a swing arm from MORyde part number TV1-006 and we needed to added a larger support plate on the TV for a 400mm mount from MORyde part number 24-0113-TV1-008. I purchased these from TVformyRV. A very help company who are a sponsor on IVR2 web site.

mor
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #8

We went the 33IK as well. Very satisfied with the quality of what forest river does, not so much of some 3rd party items, but that is a differs post that is coming soon. Anyways we have the sleeper sofa and have had 2 occasions where the end cushion closest to the table slide has gotten caught in the slide luckily I have noticed it before any damage. We now remove the cushion. Even with the sofa pushed as tight as possible it still occurred.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

swapping furniture

We had the same problem of having to rotate recliners to close our slide on our first 5th wheel. That was one of the items on my list not to have on next trailer. We bought a 2015 Phoenix 32re that we do not have to rearrange furniture to close the slide and theater seating across from TV. Those were just 2 of 5 things the new trailer had to have. I am getting to old to think about a 3rd trailer but if there is one, I am starting another list of what it must have.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
We have a 2016 34RL. The dining room slide is too long and will rub the couch. We tried to order the Theater seating and have the couch change places, would not work. I had the factory call and inform me of this.

We installed a swing arm from MORyde part number TV1-006 and we needed to added a larger support plate on the TV for a 400mm mount from MORyde part number 24-0113-TV1-008. I purchased these from TVformyRV. A very help company who are a sponsor on IVR2 web site.

mor
So, how do you like the 'side viewing' of the TV? Did the swing arm fix the problem? Or do you wish you had the model with direct TV viewing? This seems small, but man...........it may be down to this on our decision.