Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Decal and graphics

36ckts cedar Creek 2009 some of the decals were cracking. So i contact the manafacture. They offered to replace the bad one's for free. I now have removed the bad decal myself. I did a great job took my time, 6 hours, remove 4 stripes and 1 scenery on front bulkhead. My question is has anyone installed new one them self. Any advice i already checked u tube. Kinda spooky to install myself.
mycedarcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Never done them, not sure I would either...

Find someone in your area that does Wraps for cars and trucks. They might be able to do it for a reasonable price.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

I'd suggest 2 people and taking A LOT of time.

Have 1 person control the application of the decal, and have the other using some type of squeegy to push out any air bubbles as you apply.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

We had a local friend of ours come do it...they do vinyl lettering business so they made it look easy but we did not want to attempt it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

If you ever take the (Jayco fac.Tour),there is (1) Lady who puts on the (Big Eagle) as well as the other Decals! Very good at her job! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #6

our Crusader came with some missing altogether and many crooked - decal guy was having a bad day - we got new ones from Prime Time and replaced them

Old 10-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
CCRVOC

I have never applied a huge decal, but used to apply 3 or 4 foot decals to hoods of new tractors. You will need a spray bottle and a hard plastic squeegee. Figure out if you are going to apply left to right, or from top to bottom. Before you peel off the backing paper, place the decal where you want it and make some registration marks with a grease pencil to help you align it. The key is to use a soapy solution (dish soap) in a spray bottle. This will help you move the decal around if it starts getting crooked. Heavily spray the area, then peel the backing paper where you want to start from. Stick the (top) of the decal where you want it and slowly peel the paper back a little at a time, stopping where you must to help eliminate the air bubbles with your squeegee. Don't pull the decal, as you could stretch the vinyl. The water and soap will squeegee out and evaporate. If you end up with some air bubbles, you can use a pin to pop them and squeeze the air out. Just take your time.

Good luck !
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
I have never applied a huge decal, but used to apply 3 or 4 foot decals to hoods of new tractors. You will need a spray bottle and a hard plastic squeegee. Figure out if you are going to apply left to right, or from top to bottom. Before you peel off the backing paper, place the decal where you want it and make some registration marks with a grease pencil to help you align it. The key is to use a soapy solution (dish soap) in a spray bottle. This will help you move the decal around if it starts getting crooked. Heavily spray the area, then peel the backing paper where you want to start from. Stick the (top) of the decal where you want it and slowly peel the paper back a little at a time, stopping where you must to help eliminate the air bubbles with your squeegee. Don't pull the decal, as you could stretch the vinyl. The water and soap will squeegee out and evaporate. If you end up with some air bubbles, you can use a pin to pop them and squeeze the air out. Just take your time.

Good luck !

Yep that is exactly what the guy told us who ended up putting ours on for us! Sounds easy enough huh ?!?!?

Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Yep that is exactly what the guy told us who ended up putting ours on for us! Sounds easy enough huh ?!?!?

About the same technique used for applying decals on model airplanes,ships etc.,only on a larger scale.

One of my sons had a side business applying window tint to cars and trucks and he used the same procedures. He emphasized the surface that the decals are to be applied to must be very clean before starting.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

Well it took 6 hours to remove 3 stripes and 1 scenery at the bulkhead. It looks great since the other decals are in great shape. I washed and waxed the rig now i am thinking not to put new decals on with the fear i will have to remove more down the road. I don't understand why the manafacture just don't paint them with designed. We sure pay enough for the rigs or have them wrapped with designs. It will tolerate the sun better. .
Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #11

With out the decals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413946658905.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	65150  
Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #12

I took parts of the decals and had a paint shop match the colors in spray cans. Masked and painted. Hard to tell the difference. On my way to what they call "full body paint".
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote