Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
OK please allow me to throw a fly into the ointment...

My Chevy truck service manager (I'm still under warranty) says NEVER use the DEF from the truck stop nozzle!! He says they have had several cases where that was done and it ruined the truck engine, costing many dollars to repair. So I follow his advice and buy it in the 2 1/2 gallon container, either from the dealer (most expensive) or a truck stop or Wally World. You just need to check the container to be sure you are getting the right spec number. I seen a few labels that had some strange spec numbers on them. Don't recall the spec but it can be found in the truck diesel manual. I did not have the time to discuss with him the exact damage that was done in the cases he spoke of. I will do that the next time I see him. He is an experienced diesel guy.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but better safe than sorry. Also, I have the same problem with the refill spout being on the opposite side from the diesel intakes for both my OEM tank and my aux tank. Too much trouble to pull out and circle around to get in the slot backward. Since I refuel mostly at truck stops at the truck pumps, that maneuver would be pretty difficult as you would be going against the trucker flow. Most of those pumps are pretty busy and it might cause some consternation from the OTR drivers.
service manager better sign himself up for some product training. DEF never goes anywhere near the engine, it's injected into the exhaust, past the engine.

davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Still learning about these diesels but I know if I run out of def it will eventually reduce my speed then limp mode, I think I remember read8ng similar with bad def. Maybe this is what they meant? But I'd think i would be more likely to get bad fuel. Sounds like they just want to sell "special" over priced Chevy def.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #13

I have filled DEF from the pump at truck stops. it takes a while while you wait trucks to do their thing. and you have to go inside as the pumps won't take your credit card. but we also get diesel at the same time and use the restroom and normally by a drink or something. so no big deal. I've been to a couple of pilot truck stops that had several large rv's in line with the trucks. you actually have to go in twice. the first time to have them authorize your credit card (say $100) and the second time to get the unused balance credited back. (let's all hope we can continue to fill up the truck for under $100!)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #14

By the way DEF stands for Diesel Exhaust Fluid.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
(Dry Huunday)

I buy mine at Sam's due to convenience and price but I wouldn't have issue purchasing from a truck stop. I do check date on the box and also the seal on the container....evidently some "fine outstanding citizens" will buy DEF, carefully open it, fill up the truck, then refill the container with water and return it to the store for a full refund. Cashier has no idea!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

FYI: DEF has a shelf life of 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I buy mine at Sam's due to convenience and price but I wouldn't have issue purchasing from a truck stop. I do check date on the box and also the seal on the container....evidently some "fine outstanding citizens" will buy DEF, carefully open it, fill up the truck, then refill the container with water and return it to the store for a full refund. Cashier has no idea!
I have started to do this with motor oil as well. Last year I purchased a 5Qt jug of synthetic oil to do an oil change on my car. Drained old oil, removed and replace filter. I opened the new jug and started to pour in. Noticed oil was black vs normal color. Someone had refilled the container with their used oil and returned it. Returned to store. Manager accused me of trying to cheat him as he said he would never sell used oil. Now I always check cap seal before leaving store.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #18

Wow! Didn't mean to start a war over DEF. By the way, it may have not been the engine he said was ruined. At my age I sometimes have trouble remembering my name for more than 20 minutes! As I wrote in my post, I need to get more info from him and do more research on my own. Oh and I DO know what DEF is and a bit about how it works. I was just passing on what I was told as I clearly stated in my post. Take it or leave it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #19

I saved the 2.5 gal DEF container from a former purchase. I refill that at truck stops instead of raising the hood and that hassle. I keep a full container in the back of the truck and dump it in under the hood of my Chevy at my next stop after it squeaks. Saves a few bucks.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #20

I just took my new Ram 3500 DRW on a 1000 mile camping trip towing my 42' 5er and the DEF started out on 100% and when we got back home it was on 50%. I guess that thing used a lot of DEF while towing 18,000lbs. We drove the truck 1500 miles not towing and it didn't use any DEF so towing it sucks that DEF up quick. Guess I'll be stopping by the store to pick up a jug of it and I'll be checking the seals as described in earlier post. thanks for the heads up.

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote