Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
DEF injection rate is 50:1 (fuel to DEF). It is introduced into the exhaust to address the NOX emissions.

Just a heads up on Wally world. They will except any return from a customer, no questions asked. Why you say; well, because their edict to all vendors is: you agree to accept any and all returns from us (Wally). They have a huge warehouses where any of their vendors can go and inspect their returned products. But, they demand and get full credit for ALL customers returns.

So, like the other poster said, be safe, be smart, leave the opened boxes on the shelf! There are some, not so nice people doing stuff like that, way more than you think.
__________________

__________________
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
dbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
DEF injection rate is 50:1 (fuel to DEF). It is introduced into the exhaust to address the NOX emissions.

Just a heads up on Wally world. They will except any return from a customer, no questions asked. Why you say; well, because their edict to all vendors is: you agree to accept any and all returns from us (Wally). They have a huge warehouses where any of their vendors can go and inspect their returned products. But, they demand and get full credit for ALL customers returns.

So, like the other poster said, be safe, be smart, leave the opened boxes on the shelf! There are some, not so nice people doing stuff like that, way more than you think.
I'm sure the ratio is much higher when the DEF is pumped from the fuel tank! Yes, it happens and I'm sure that's what the shop manager was trying to warn about. Doesn't work well in the crankcase either.
__________________

__________________
'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2017-46, 2016 -56, 2015-33,
2014-47,

Years camping....52
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
I saved the 2.5 gal DEF container from a former purchase. I refill that at truck stops instead of raising the hood and that hassle. I keep a full container in the back of the truck and dump it in under the hood of my Chevy at my next stop after it squeaks. Saves a few bucks.

I just bought a 2 1/2 container of Blue DEF from Walmart and it had the seal, I was going to throw the empty away but now I will keep it. Thanks for the tip


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I just bought a 2 1/2 container of Blue DEF from Walmart and it had the seal, I was going to throw the empty away but now I will keep it. Thanks for the tip


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Suggest you buy a one gal too. Those are way easier to pour and also have a seperate funnel for the DEF as well, as it is highly corrosive. Just slip the funnel in a plastic bag, stow it and your on your way if you happen to be in route, when your low indicator comes on.
__________________
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Pixelbum1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 196
D#amned DEF!!?? ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
OK please allow me to throw a fly into the ointment...


My Chevy truck service manager (I'm still under warranty) says NEVER use the DEF from the truck stop nozzle!! He says they have had several cases where that was done and it ruined the truck engine, costing many dollars to repair. So I follow his advice and buy it in the 2 1/2 gallon container, either from the dealer (most expensive) or a truck stop or Wally World. You just need to check the container to be sure you are getting the right spec number. I seen a few labels that had some strange spec numbers on them. Don't recall the spec but it can be found in the truck diesel manual. I did not have the time to discuss with him the exact damage that was done in the cases he spoke of. I will do that the next time I see him. He is an experienced diesel guy.


Maybe I'm too cautious, but better safe than sorry. Also, I have the same problem with the refill spout being on the opposite side from the diesel intakes for both my OEM tank and my aux tank. Too much trouble to pull out and circle around to get in the slot backward. Since I refuel mostly at truck stops at the truck pumps, that maneuver would be pretty difficult as you would be going against the trucker flow. Most of those pumps are pretty busy and it might cause some consternation from the OTR drivers.

Wait...WHAT??? Yeah, I agree with those of you whom said that if you could
foul your engine with pump DEF such as found at Pilot, or Loves, then the truckers WOULD shut down the nation, like now!! Hey Mr. WeR, tell your Chevy dealer that HE'S up the creek and then switch to another dealership quickly.
Come on now, please! I really find it hard to believe that he said that.
I've gotten my diesel for my 3.0 turbo MB V6 diesel at BP, Shell, Pilot, etc., et al, ad nauseum. I stay away from the generic stations, of course. Just make sure they are all rated as ultra low sulfur diesel (CHECK YOUR MANUAL!!) and please, no "BIO" diesel crap for that great little engine.
Yea shall see the least of troubles that way...just pay attention. Sounds to
me that someone got their nozzles mixed and "somehow" forced that DEF
straight into the diesel tank...THAT would do it! Impossible to do it the other way as the trucker nozzle is way too huge for the DEF tank opening...but then again...human's being human...oh,never mind! Anyway, I think that's what he really meant?! Think Murphy's Law?

ALSO, one of you commented on the limp mode routine. Does not the warning message POP UP telling you that you have 7-8 more starts(on
your instrument cluster...) to get a DEF refill before limp mode? Check
your book again, and pay attention to this. Hard to miss tho in my books.

I must say this was a great thread and want to thank the newbie for starting it. THAT'S how we learn and also work out a few aggressions at the same time? DEF is some great stuff, actually, cow pee+ yes, but is better than
belching out black particulate smoke as in the old days! Talking about the
old (& today!)days, don't get confused by those "green" BP fuel pumps when you pull
up and think they are...diesel! Wrong! The BP diesel pump only has a small
DIESEL FUEL sign on that pump tho everything else looks the same.
Be alert at the BP pumps! I remember back when I had my old Suburban
diesel and yes, managed to fill it all the way with...High Test (NO LESS!)...and
ran it for 5 miles until it stopped running. This was on a Sunday night return leg of a 500 mile trip. Thank God for cell phones! The tow, the pumping out of the
gas, the refill of the diesel...that hurt! But, that engine ran forever until I
had to have the injection pump re-worked at 300,000 miles (pretty good, huh?). Much luck to you all and keep that spare 2.5 cubitainer handy, nonetheless, I guess...(now I sound like Red Green!)
__________________
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
At 30k miles I deleted all that crap on my truck. The only issues I had in the first 30k for warranty was the DEF tank level sensor and if you are on any of the diesel truck forums, 90+ % of the warranty issues are related to the urea, DEF, emissions crap on the truck. Once removed, my mileage went up 2-4 mpg across the board.

As far as the dealer telling you not to use the truck stop def, that's crap. The dealers have to deal with so many urea issues they try to blame anything else. The truck stops go thru that stuff quick so the tanks are usually fresh.
__________________
Doc
____________________________________
2014 V-Cross Platinum 365VTSB (Bought Labor Day 2014)
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
You know the truck stop DEF is good of no freight moves across the country. It's safe. I'm about to buy my first container of DEF. LOL
__________________
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Wait...WHAT??? Yeah, I agree with those of you whom said that if you could
foul your engine with pump DEF such as found at Pilot, or Loves, then the truckers WOULD shut down the nation, like now!! Hey Mr. WeR, tell your Chevy dealer that HE'S up the creek and then switch to another dealership quickly.
Come on now, please! I really find it hard to believe that he said that.
I've gotten my diesel for my 3.0 turbo MB V6 diesel at BP, Shell, Pilot, etc., et al, ad nauseum. I stay away from the generic stations, of course. Just make sure they are all rated as ultra low sulfur diesel (CHECK YOUR MANUAL!!) and please, no "BIO" diesel crap for that great little engine.
Yea shall see the least of troubles that way...just pay attention. Sounds to
me that someone got their nozzles mixed and "somehow" forced that DEF
straight into the diesel tank...THAT would do it! Impossible to do it the other way as the trucker nozzle is way too huge for the DEF tank opening...but then again...human's being human...oh,never mind! Anyway, I think that's what he really meant?! Think Murphy's Law?

ALSO, one of you commented on the limp mode routine. Does not the warning message POP UP telling you that you have 7-8 more starts(on
your instrument cluster...) to get a DEF refill before limp mode? Check
your book again, and pay attention to this. Hard to miss tho in my books.

I must say this was a great thread and want to thank the newbie for starting it. THAT'S how we learn and also work out a few aggressions at the same time? DEF is some great stuff, actually, cow pee+ yes, but is better than
belching out black particulate smoke as in the old days! Talking about the
old (& today!)days, don't get confused by those "green" BP fuel pumps when you pull
up and think they are...diesel! Wrong! The BP diesel pump only has a small
DIESEL FUEL sign on that pump tho everything else looks the same.
Be alert at the BP pumps! I remember back when I had my old Suburban
diesel and yes, managed to fill it all the way with...High Test (NO LESS!)...and
ran it for 5 miles until it stopped running. This was on a Sunday night return leg of a 500 mile trip. Thank God for cell phones! The tow, the pumping out of the
gas, the refill of the diesel...that hurt! But, that engine ran forever until I
had to have the injection pump re-worked at 300,000 miles (pretty good, huh?). Much luck to you all and keep that spare 2.5 cubitainer handy, nonetheless, I guess...(now I sound like Red Green!)

I use BIO in my Silverado, I cook with vegetable oil and then I strain it and put it in my 100gl tank to mix it up, works for me


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
At 30k miles I deleted all that crap on my truck. The only issues I had in the first 30k for warranty was the DEF tank level sensor and if you are on any of the diesel truck forums, 90+ % of the warranty issues are related to the urea, DEF, emissions crap on the truck. Once removed, my mileage went up 2-4 mpg across the board.

As far as the dealer telling you not to use the truck stop def, that's crap. The dealers have to deal with so many urea issues they try to blame anything else. The truck stops go thru that stuff quick so the tanks are usually fresh.

I can't mess with my engine it's still under warranty and will be for about 45,000 more miles.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,602
A filled up with DEF at Flying J. Cost me $5.00 to fill a new truck. I use Diesel from the local corner store, it is the right grade. My Powerstroke says right on it B 20 so I don't really see what the problem is with bio diesel is?? I know a old hippie that mixs his own bio diesel for his F 350. Collects old fryer grease and mixs it 70/ 30 and his exhaust smells like fish on Friday and fries the rest of the week.
__________________

__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.