Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #41

Your welcome. Just remember that the emissions reduction mandate of NOX, lead the engineers to determine def needs to be injected at a rate of 50:1, or fifty parts fuel to one part def. The system actually monitors the fuel injection rate and adds the def into the exhaust gases at that rate. The varibles in your situation are; known amount in the def tank prior to adding the 5 gals you said. Then multiplying that total known gals + 5 gals of def, by your mpg calculations. That will get you very close to how far your on board quanity of def, equates to allowed distance traveled.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #42

Just a couple of notes for new diesel owners: DEF has a shelf life so it's not a good idea to carry or keep a jug for a long time "just in case you need it". You should also check the expiration date on any DEF bought over the counter. DEF usage is so low compared to diesel that I can't imagine running out of DEF with no source available within driving range (auto parts, Walmart, dealer etc).
Old 07-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #43
Who Dares, Wins

Here in PA diesels are exempted from emissions inspection but safety inspection mandates the emissions control systems and smoke control systems stay intact and functioning (visual inspection). Technically it they are deleted the truck should fail safety inspection. But I assure you that many garages just slap the sticker anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #44

It's a big difference in price savings to buy it at the pump. DEF is usually added at the time of an oil change and that’s annually at the least. I've never had a problem with spoilage. I use my 2.5 gal container first and refill it at the next truck stop pump.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
Just a couple of notes for new diesel owners: DEF has a shelf life so it's not a good idea to carry or keep a jug for a long time "just in case you need it". You should also check the expiration date on any DEF bought over the counter. DEF usage is so low compared to diesel that I can't imagine running out of DEF with no source available within driving range (auto parts, Walmart, dealer etc).
I saw it was two years. I just like to be prepared, I was a boy scout... I also carry 5 gallon of diesel in a can un case, but more so in case I need to use a small fuel station with the trailer so I do not need to thread a needle. Thanks for the info, I am learning a lot here.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #46

DEF, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I saw it was two years. I just like to be prepared, I was a boy scout... I also carry 5 gallon of diesel in a can un case, but more so in case I need to use a small fuel station with the trailer so I do not need to thread a needle. Thanks for the info, I am learning a lot here.

Doc 73 brings up another point to perhaps worry about (oh boy!)? When I had my old 84 Suburban diesel I was always warned to NEVER, ever, let the engine run out of fuel as they are pretty hard to re-start w/o priming the pump and filter(s). I never did but now wonder if that problem has been
addressed and resolved with the current crop of diesel engines? Any experts
willing to chip in here would relieve another owner ('11 24S) in need...

PS: I "know" this could become another entirely new thread...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #47

The problem lies with most any diesel the system between the supply pump and final injector pumps is not self priming without a manual pump to force oil to fill the gap.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #48

Self prime. Evident when you change the fuel filter and begin your first start sequence. Fuel pump engages until design pressure is established at the injectors. Just like instant start, big change from the old days.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #49

It also is not good to run the pump dry.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #50

On my Silverado the manual shows how easy it is to get the water out of the filter and should you run out of fuel, how to pump the filter, that's a joke. I can't get my hand down there I'll just call roadside assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #51
Who Dares, Wins

If I run out of fuel or change the filter I need to hand prime using the build in pump above the fuel filter and purge screw. SO I will make sure I do not run out of fuel! LOL.

I carry the diesel can not for when I run out but so I do not need to squeeze into a small gas station and risk an accident.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
If I run out of fuel or change the filter I need to hand prime using the build in pump above the fuel filter and purge screw. SO I will make sure I do not run out of fuel! LOL.

I carry the diesel can not for when I run out but so I do not need to squeeze into a small gas station and risk an accident.

Oh I have a 100 gal tank for that

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #53
Who Dares, Wins

Yes the 60 gallon replacement tank could be in the future... But got the 1200 it will be a distant future.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I had a 2500 08 diesel and now a 3500 12 diesel and both Silverado and I have never had any trouble with emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Zero emission issues on my 11 as well only issues have been glow plugs, 70,000 miles and counting.... knocking on wood. and typing very quietly so the truck doesn't hear...
With 11 and newer, the emissions issues are less then the 07.5-10 but they occur. It is more with the people that dont use a diesel like they are suppose to.

Spock, you got lucky on your 08, but again, towing a lot with it helped. I had an 09 LMM Duramax and it gave me issues and on a tow to VIR in July, it hit 230 degrees coolent temps and went into limp mode (just after a maintenance visit to the dealer too)..... The 07.5-10s didnt use urea and had a 9th dlesel injector that sprayed into the exhaust and for that reason, it had to run a lot warmer then the new LML motors. My 09 always ran 200 unloaded and would be 210-225 towing about 10K. With my 14 LML, it is 185 unloaded and never has gone over 195 towing 12K. Also, the Allison tranny tuning is better. stays locked in 6th better then before.

Even being deleted, I'm not "rolling coal" as the good tuners won't waste fuel like that and make us look like teenage hooligans! LOL I did it for motor longevity, lower maintenance, and better fuel miliage.

On another note, we just towed about 2:30 hours and I was the only diesel. I used about 10 gallons and my buddy in a Ford V10 used 20 and my other buddy in a GM 6.0 V8 used 24 gallons! LOL. My RV is 12K and the V10 guy had a 8K TT and the GM V8 gasser had a 7K TT. Diesel FTW!
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #55

Well maybe after I get the 100,000 off and then I may do something, I like better fuel mileage, we all do. I don't do too bad on fuel, when I get low I just put more in the tank

Old 07-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well maybe after I get the 100,000 off and then I may do something, I like better fuel mileage, we all do. I don't do too bad on fuel, when I get low I just put more in the tank

LOL. Yes, that is a good idea! That is why I dont complain about the prices anymore. We have to have it if we want to do the things we want to do, so just suck it up!
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #57

Follow-up question for a new diesel owner here. I have had a 2011 F250 for about 2 months now. I was told to expect the following:
1. When towing, more use of DEF as there are more bad gasses to burn up in the exhaust.
2. When not towing/driving hard, more frequent DPF cleaning as the engine may not be hot enough to burn off the particulates.

Does this sound accurate to you more experienced diesel drivers (esp those with 6.7 liter PSD)?
Thanks,
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #58

I have a one ton GMC DIESEL TRUCK,
I was told to let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes, before filling in the DEF fluid otherwise it screws up the computer setting of how much fluid is in the tank.
I had trouble with the DEF fluid when my 2011 was brand new and we where on the way to North Carolina.
It cost us a day before we found a
GM dealer who knew what to do and reset the computer, upgrade the software.
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Follow-up question for a new diesel owner here. I have had a 2011 F250 for about 2 months now. I was told to expect the following:
1. When towing, more use of DEF as there are more bad gasses to burn up in the exhaust.
2. When not towing/driving hard, more frequent DPF cleaning as the engine may not be hot enough to burn off the particulates.

Does this sound accurate to you more experienced diesel drivers (esp those with 6.7 liter PSD)?
Thanks,
Brian
That was what my 2012 was like.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #60

I don't have a problem with the DEF, every so often I just add more. I have never seen the light that comes on that says add more, it's like the fuel I just add more. When I take a long trip I take extra container but heck there is a Walmart always around. I try not to worry about to much, well I do worry about one thing, running out of beer.