Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #21

DEF injection rate is 50:1 (fuel to DEF). It is introduced into the exhaust to address the NOX emissions.

Just a heads up on Wally world. They will except any return from a customer, no questions asked. Why you say; well, because their edict to all vendors is: you agree to accept any and all returns from us (Wally). They have a huge warehouses where any of their vendors can go and inspect their returned products. But, they demand and get full credit for ALL customers returns.

So, like the other poster said, be safe, be smart, leave the opened boxes on the shelf! There are some, not so nice people doing stuff like that, way more than you think.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
DEF injection rate is 50:1 (fuel to DEF). It is introduced into the exhaust to address the NOX emissions.

Just a heads up on Wally world. They will except any return from a customer, no questions asked. Why you say; well, because their edict to all vendors is: you agree to accept any and all returns from us (Wally). They have a huge warehouses where any of their vendors can go and inspect their returned products. But, they demand and get full credit for ALL customers returns.

So, like the other poster said, be safe, be smart, leave the opened boxes on the shelf! There are some, not so nice people doing stuff like that, way more than you think.
I'm sure the ratio is much higher when the DEF is pumped from the fuel tank! Yes, it happens and I'm sure that's what the shop manager was trying to warn about. Doesn't work well in the crankcase either.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
I saved the 2.5 gal DEF container from a former purchase. I refill that at truck stops instead of raising the hood and that hassle. I keep a full container in the back of the truck and dump it in under the hood of my Chevy at my next stop after it squeaks. Saves a few bucks.

I just bought a 2 1/2 container of Blue DEF from Walmart and it had the seal, I was going to throw the empty away but now I will keep it. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I just bought a 2 1/2 container of Blue DEF from Walmart and it had the seal, I was going to throw the empty away but now I will keep it. Thanks for the tip

Suggest you buy a one gal too. Those are way easier to pour and also have a seperate funnel for the DEF as well, as it is highly corrosive. Just slip the funnel in a plastic bag, stow it and your on your way if you happen to be in route, when your low indicator comes on.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #25

D#amned DEF!!?? ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
OK please allow me to throw a fly into the ointment...

My Chevy truck service manager (I'm still under warranty) says NEVER use the DEF from the truck stop nozzle!! He says they have had several cases where that was done and it ruined the truck engine, costing many dollars to repair. So I follow his advice and buy it in the 2 1/2 gallon container, either from the dealer (most expensive) or a truck stop or Wally World. You just need to check the container to be sure you are getting the right spec number. I seen a few labels that had some strange spec numbers on them. Don't recall the spec but it can be found in the truck diesel manual. I did not have the time to discuss with him the exact damage that was done in the cases he spoke of. I will do that the next time I see him. He is an experienced diesel guy.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but better safe than sorry. Also, I have the same problem with the refill spout being on the opposite side from the diesel intakes for both my OEM tank and my aux tank. Too much trouble to pull out and circle around to get in the slot backward. Since I refuel mostly at truck stops at the truck pumps, that maneuver would be pretty difficult as you would be going against the trucker flow. Most of those pumps are pretty busy and it might cause some consternation from the OTR drivers.

Wait...WHAT??? Yeah, I agree with those of you whom said that if you could
foul your engine with pump DEF such as found at Pilot, or Loves, then the truckers WOULD shut down the nation, like now!! Hey Mr. WeR, tell your Chevy dealer that HE'S up the creek and then switch to another dealership quickly.
Come on now, please! I really find it hard to believe that he said that.
I've gotten my diesel for my 3.0 turbo MB V6 diesel at BP, Shell, Pilot, etc., et al, ad nauseum. I stay away from the generic stations, of course. Just make sure they are all rated as ultra low sulfur diesel (CHECK YOUR MANUAL!!) and please, no "BIO" diesel crap for that great little engine.
Yea shall see the least of troubles that way...just pay attention. Sounds to
me that someone got their nozzles mixed and "somehow" forced that DEF
straight into the diesel tank...THAT would do it! Impossible to do it the other way as the trucker nozzle is way too huge for the DEF tank opening...but then again...human's being human...oh,never mind! Anyway, I think that's what he really meant?! Think Murphy's Law?

ALSO, one of you commented on the limp mode routine. Does not the warning message POP UP telling you that you have 7-8 more starts(on
your instrument cluster...) to get a DEF refill before limp mode? Check
your book again, and pay attention to this. Hard to miss tho in my books.

I must say this was a great thread and want to thank the newbie for starting it. THAT'S how we learn and also work out a few aggressions at the same time? DEF is some great stuff, actually, cow pee+ yes, but is better than
belching out black particulate smoke as in the old days! Talking about the
old (& today!)days, don't get confused by those "green" BP fuel pumps when you pull
up and think they are...diesel! Wrong! The BP diesel pump only has a small
DIESEL FUEL sign on that pump tho everything else looks the same.
Be alert at the BP pumps! I remember back when I had my old Suburban
diesel and yes, managed to fill it all the way with...High Test (NO LESS!)...and
ran it for 5 miles until it stopped running. This was on a Sunday night return leg of a 500 mile trip. Thank God for cell phones! The tow, the pumping out of the
gas, the refill of the diesel...that hurt! But, that engine ran forever until I
had to have the injection pump re-worked at 300,000 miles (pretty good, huh?). Much luck to you all and keep that spare 2.5 cubitainer handy, nonetheless, I guess...(now I sound like Red Green!)
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #26

At 30k miles I deleted all that crap on my truck. The only issues I had in the first 30k for warranty was the DEF tank level sensor and if you are on any of the diesel truck forums, 90+ % of the warranty issues are related to the urea, DEF, emissions crap on the truck. Once removed, my mileage went up 2-4 mpg across the board.

As far as the dealer telling you not to use the truck stop def, that's crap. The dealers have to deal with so many urea issues they try to blame anything else. The truck stops go thru that stuff quick so the tanks are usually fresh.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

You know the truck stop DEF is good of no freight moves across the country. It's safe. I'm about to buy my first container of DEF. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Wait...WHAT??? Yeah, I agree with those of you whom said that if you could
foul your engine with pump DEF such as found at Pilot, or Loves, then the truckers WOULD shut down the nation, like now!! Hey Mr. WeR, tell your Chevy dealer that HE'S up the creek and then switch to another dealership quickly.
Come on now, please! I really find it hard to believe that he said that.
I've gotten my diesel for my 3.0 turbo MB V6 diesel at BP, Shell, Pilot, etc., et al, ad nauseum. I stay away from the generic stations, of course. Just make sure they are all rated as ultra low sulfur diesel (CHECK YOUR MANUAL!!) and please, no "BIO" diesel crap for that great little engine.
Yea shall see the least of troubles that way...just pay attention. Sounds to
me that someone got their nozzles mixed and "somehow" forced that DEF
straight into the diesel tank...THAT would do it! Impossible to do it the other way as the trucker nozzle is way too huge for the DEF tank opening...but then again...human's being human...oh,never mind! Anyway, I think that's what he really meant?! Think Murphy's Law?

ALSO, one of you commented on the limp mode routine. Does not the warning message POP UP telling you that you have 7-8 more starts(on
your instrument cluster...) to get a DEF refill before limp mode? Check
your book again, and pay attention to this. Hard to miss tho in my books.

I must say this was a great thread and want to thank the newbie for starting it. THAT'S how we learn and also work out a few aggressions at the same time? DEF is some great stuff, actually, cow pee+ yes, but is better than
belching out black particulate smoke as in the old days! Talking about the
old (& today!)days, don't get confused by those "green" BP fuel pumps when you pull
up and think they are...diesel! Wrong! The BP diesel pump only has a small
DIESEL FUEL sign on that pump tho everything else looks the same.
Be alert at the BP pumps! I remember back when I had my old Suburban
diesel and yes, managed to fill it all the way with...High Test (NO LESS!)...and
ran it for 5 miles until it stopped running. This was on a Sunday night return leg of a 500 mile trip. Thank God for cell phones! The tow, the pumping out of the
gas, the refill of the diesel...that hurt! But, that engine ran forever until I
had to have the injection pump re-worked at 300,000 miles (pretty good, huh?). Much luck to you all and keep that spare 2.5 cubitainer handy, nonetheless, I guess...(now I sound like Red Green!)

I use BIO in my Silverado, I cook with vegetable oil and then I strain it and put it in my 100gl tank to mix it up, works for me

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
At 30k miles I deleted all that crap on my truck. The only issues I had in the first 30k for warranty was the DEF tank level sensor and if you are on any of the diesel truck forums, 90+ % of the warranty issues are related to the urea, DEF, emissions crap on the truck. Once removed, my mileage went up 2-4 mpg across the board.

As far as the dealer telling you not to use the truck stop def, that's crap. The dealers have to deal with so many urea issues they try to blame anything else. The truck stops go thru that stuff quick so the tanks are usually fresh.

I can't mess with my engine it's still under warranty and will be for about 45,000 more miles.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A filled up with DEF at Flying J. Cost me $5.00 to fill a new truck. I use Diesel from the local corner store, it is the right grade. My Powerstroke says right on it B 20 so I don't really see what the problem is with bio diesel is?? I know a old hippie that mixs his own bio diesel for his F 350. Collects old fryer grease and mixs it 70/ 30 and his exhaust smells like fish on Friday and fries the rest of the week.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #31

Quote:
I can't mess with my engine it's still under warranty and will be for about 45,000 more miles.

I have 58K left of warranty but with 99% of the warranty issues being the DEF and emissions crap, I just turned it off and saved myself the main warranty issues. On the new trucks, you can just turn the system off and then swap out the exhaust only and done. If you had a big $ warranty item pop up, then you swap the exhaust back and turn the system on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
A filled up with DEF at Flying J. Cost me $5.00 to fill a new truck. I use Diesel from the local corner store, it is the right grade. My Powerstroke says right on it B 20 so I don't really see what the problem is with bio diesel is?? I know a old hippie that mixs his own bio diesel for his F 350. Collects old fryer grease and mixs it 70/ 30 and his exhaust smells like fish on Friday and fries the rest of the week.

The main problem with biodiesel is making you get the muchies!!!
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
I have 58K left of warranty but with 99% of the warranty issues being the DEF and emissions crap, I just turned it off and saved myself the main warranty issues. On the new trucks, you can just turn the system off and then swap out the exhaust only and done. If you had a big $ warranty item pop up, then you swap the exhaust back and turn the system on again.

The main problem with biodiesel is making you get the muchies!!!

I had a 2500 08 diesel and now a 3500 12 diesel and both Silverado and I have never had any trouble with emissions

Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #33
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
I had a 2500 08 diesel and now a 3500 12 diesel and both Silverado and I have never had any trouble with emissions

Zero emission issues on my 11 as well only issues have been glow plugs, 70,000 miles and counting.... knocking on wood. and typing very quietly so the truck doesn't hear...

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #34

Def lasts a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I've been wondering g the same thing recently. Che y will top it off for the next 24,000 miles but I was thinking of just picking up a 2.5 gallon can for backup next time we hit a truck stop while out towing. I am only at 4000 miles so I am still curious how far I'll get on the 5 GallonS of def.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
iI have an F250 diesel and the Def seems to last a long time on my truck.
Camper111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Well....THAT'S funny. Hope he isn't throwing in wacky weed to the mix as THAT could cause problems besides the smells?
I thought I read in the Sprinter manual that bio
diesel should be avoided...as it could cause trouble with the particulate filter within the bowels of the engine down the pike(or was that from using the wrong standard of oil)? Don't know if I want to take
that chance with a $15,000 MB engine ...harump!

Sidenote: I still remember when I was attending school in Santa Barbara MANY a moon ago and had a neat, used, '68 Corolla hardtop with 4-on-the
floor. My next door neighbor showed me how to bypass the smog pump, etc., which certainly overclocked the performance and gas mileage on that
engine! Probably caused the current drought too, but hey? Anyway, when
I graduated we hooked everything back up to pass inspection (with flying colors btw), and then sold it for more than I originally paid. That little car was a stormer and owned US 101 all the way! Leave it to the gov't to screw things up for us!?
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #36

I have been using vegetable oil for a long time, they tell me a little is good for the engine, I used it on a trip to Yellowstone and back, works for me. Whenever I cook fish or french fries, the oil is put in the 100 gal tank, don't throw something away that you can use, it beats putting the oil in the landfill.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I've been wondering g the same thing recently. Che y will top it off for the next 24,000 miles but I was thinking of just picking up a 2.5 gallon can for backup next time we hit a truck stop while out towing. I am only at 4000 miles so I am still curious how far I'll get on the 5 GallonS of def.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Simple: 5 gals of def will inject 250 gals of fuel. 50:1 injection rate. Multiply 250 by your mpg and that is your answer.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Simple: 5 gals of def will inject 250 gals of fuel. 50:1 injection rate. Multiply 250 by your mpg and that is your answer.
Gauge is still reading OK and I have 4000 miles with an over all MPG Ave (towing and driving together) of 15 and still going strong. 12 was the worst while towing 19 the best while driving. I am guessing the 250 is not an exact science. Thanks for the info none the less.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #39

Unless towing 18000 lbs
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #40

So....... how are you guys getting away with removing the need for DEF? I think Oklahoma allows this but I am pretty sure other states don't. I'd love an extra 2 mpg, but not enough to move to Oklahoma...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote