Old 09-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Angry Disappointed(sp)

I learned yesterday, from a dealership in Greeley, that our 2014 SilverBack had a warranty issue. The dealership where I bought our coach, Sidney NE, didn't/wouldn't notify me about the issue. Now I am in limbo as to what is going to take place.

The issue is that the 2013 & 2014 models did not get a gel-coat applied after painting on the the front cap. The decals are starting to separate and the paint is badly faded. To repair this on my own will be very expensive, I am sure. So will have to be patient and see what happens. Most likely will take a month to get an answer back and then another month for repairs, at least.

WoodWkr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

Price wise it might be better for you to have the cap repainted. On a 2014 year Cedar Creek the factory may not pay anything. Do you have the two year warranty? I would give it a shot, the most the factory can say is no

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWkr14 View Post
I learned yesterday, from a dealership in Greeley, that our 2014 SilverBack had a warranty issue. The dealership where I bought our coach, Sidney NE, didn't/wouldn't notify me about the issue. Now I am in limbo as to what is going to take place.

The issue is that the 2013 & 2014 models did not get a gel-coat applied after painting on the the front cap. The decals are starting to separate and the paint is badly faded. To repair this on my own will be very expensive, I am sure. So will have to be patient and see what happens. Most likely will take a month to get an answer back and then another month for repairs, at least.
Maybe you got the story wrong or were given bad info. Gel coat is the colored or or white layer on a fiberglass cap. It is the final finish for the cap. Gel coat is not put on over paint. It is just the opposite, it is often painted over. You probably have the dreaded faded gel coat issue which many others have or had, including myself. The only permanent cure is to have it painted. I had both of my caps painted for the same problem. It took about 3 days for each one not several weeks. Call the manufacturer yourself. They will probably want pictures. You should get an answer quickly. I had mine painted at a shop that does big trucks and buses. Most RV dealers are not equipped for this and will send it out, mark up the price and charge you....
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Woodwkr14: I have the 2015 33rl.
Had 2 yr warranty. First attempt was a buffing process covered by FR. Looked good. Lasted 60 days; faded again!!

I was offered the new process mocha or 2016 Oyster cap and I accepted the oyster. Love the look and it's been a year and looks new. I wax it 2x annually with Nu Finish car polish.
Actually do the whole unit using that.
Takes a full day each time but the gel coat shines bright!

Connect with the factory and see if you can get any assistance. Be sure to tell your story with a time line. FR is really customer service oriented.

Good luck .......

If I were in a PAY out of pocket situation, I would have it repainted as others suggest.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

dldavis@forestriverinc.com
She is the one that will help you out with all options
Mine was 2013 I opted for a new painted cap done at factory. Mine was Gray factory covered labor and materials I had to get it there, I opted to attend FROG rally had it done Friday before rally.
The oyster cap looks great!
Good Luck
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
"Life is Good"!!
TrailBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Yep; saw TrailBoss at the Rally; Look'n good!
Denise will do what she can so write her in detail.
FR recognizes the importance of customer satisfaction.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWkr14 View Post

Had mine put on after the frog ralliey. Tell them you want orvan to do the work at his shop. He does great work for the factory. Mine looks great and cost nothing. FR has got me for a customer. Have had FR products for 10yrs now.