Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I've been towing a 5th wheel with a pullrite superglide since 2007. That's when I downsized from a LWB 1 ton dually to a SWB SRW 3/4 ton PU. Only "had to have it" a couple of times, but worry free driving and turning has been priceless. I wouldn't consider anything less that a fully automatic slider with a SWB truck!
I agree. When I had my fifth wheel, the Pullrite saved me many times. More than once the GPS got me someplace ackward. I could do a U-turn on a two lane road if the shoulders were wide enough. Paid for itself many times.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #42

Pay now or later. Always used the same slider hitch! Sometimes it worked; ONCE, $650 later in cab repair, it failed me. Or, rather, I failed it! You have to stop and pull the release lever on mine to activate slide. OK! Me old and slllooooo😩.
In tens of thousands of towing x country and 2 fifth wheels; never needed it again. THAT's NEVER.
My radius was unexpectedly tight curb to curb. Rv hit cab. Even with new recessed caps. Both fifth wheels were 36 ft long!
If I were to do it over; SUPERSLIDE with automatic engagement! 😁
My PRIDE was severely injured!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #43

Which Model .. Superglide??
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #44
Aging Junior Member

I also have a 6 1/2 foot bed and have a slider. Used it a couple times and it's well worth it. One benefit is that with the slider back I don't have to come in perfectly straight with the tail gate down.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #45

Do i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
So, I am shopping for a hitch to pull my new 33IK and have settled on a Trailersaver BD3, my question is do I need a slider. I am towing with a 2015 2500 HD Chev the box is 78.8 inches ( 6 1/2 ft) any input from those of you with this unit would be greatly appreciated.
Everyone should be telling you to get a slider as all 5ers like a 8 ft bed not smaller, now a large number of 5er noses have been made to clear the cab of the truck, but i do not like not being able to jack knife the trailer and also have to worry about hitting the trailer or cab of the truck!

So do you need it, well you will find out have much you will need it the first time you go to an older park and it is "very tight" into your site and you might not make it with out getting the full turn on the trailer, so do you need it or do you want to have to stop before the crunch?

Hope this helps and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #46

Final Answer--- YES

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #47
DDC

Thanks for all the advice, I will add a slider to the Trailer Saver that way it will be there when I need it or even if I don't, just like the insurance policy.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, I will add a slider to the Trailer Saver that way it will be there when I need it or even if I don't, just like the insurance policy.
Good Deal Donald! Youroo!!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #49

Quote:

Make sure you have help, when installing it!
Preferably high school students.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458690041.843067.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	102605

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #50

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Everyone should be telling you to get a slider as all 5ers like a 8 ft bed not smaller, now a large number of 5er noses have been made to clear the cab of the truck, but i do not like not being able to jack knife the trailer and also have to worry about hitting the trailer or cab of the truck!

So do you need it, well you will find out have much you will need it the first time you go to an older park and it is "very tight" into your site and you might not make it with out getting the full turn on the trailer, so do you need it or do you want to have to stop before the crunch?

Hope this helps and Happy Camping
CAMP WILDERNESS HAS MANY CHALLENGING SITES. Only KNOWLEDGE from experience can help you. After 1/2 hour of struggles, bound by huge trees, 3 inches from the front of my truck, I was ready to pull out and get BACK IN LINE ( yes, you heard it right) you have to EXIT AND RE ENTER, NO REGISTERED GUEST PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT! None!
An attendant came around on a golf cart and assessed the messy situation. He immediately put the slider in; and parked in 2 minutes. One thjng he taught me is to never use the FIVER BRAKES, only truck brakes in very tight situations. THAT WAS 2 YEARS AGO AND MANY TRIPS.
Never have experienced such a tight spot again, BUT, learned a lot.
JUST SHARING THAT NOTHING BEATS EXPERIENCE, NOTHING. 😅!
As I age, my "extra eyes" via Furrion full observation camera, just installed, eases much concern.
JUST SHARING FOR NEWER 5er OWNERS: practice; practice; practice!
Learn to use your mirrors as professional truck drivers do.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #51

Have always pulled my 5vrs with short bed trucks and have always used Super Glide hitch you can't beat it you never have to get out to release the slide and therefore never have to worry about turning through out the trip. Well worth the money.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide